Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 12-04-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
Maiiko

Thoughts on my photos?

Hello guys, I'm pretty new to this site and am looking into doing photoshoots with cosplayers. Since next con isn't until January. I'll post some pictures of a exotic car I took earlier today.

Please give me your thoughts.

Photo #1 Photo #2 Photo #3
Maiiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Caerix
Gamer

While the car looks great, it'd be better to get pictures of people when asking for a critique. btw pic 3 has the best angle, looks good
~Zebra (Vocaloid) - 90%
~Zoey (L4D) - 75%
Caerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
Maiiko

Hmm, I thought this was for photos in general but okay.

Thanks any ways.

Free photo-shoots in California!
Just message me.
Unread 12-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
firecloak

In the second photo, the car is too close to the top. A little space would be nice.

Well, it is a cosplay photography thread, and photographing people is very different from photographing cars.
firecloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
fotaku

With those three examples you could take the basic format of those and apply it to cosplay photography. Do a close-up/detail shot of the costume or the person's face, then do a full length, maybe a front, 3/4, or profile. Then turn them into a series of photos, a diptych or triptych.

Best of luck!
fotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
Maiiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotaku View Post
With those three examples you could take the basic format of those and apply it to cosplay photography. Do a close-up/detail shot of the costume or the person's face, then do a full length, maybe a front, 3/4, or profile. Then turn them into a series of photos, a diptych or triptych.

Best of luck!
Yeah, I'm trying at the moment to get cosplayers to model for me in the next convention coming up but I haven't had any response yet. I'll probably end up asking someone while at the con though.

But thanks for the advice, I was actually trying to figure out the names of those two you said, diptych and triptych. I've seen examples before but have never known what they were called.

Just message me.
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
SparrowRayne
Friendship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiiko View Post
Hmm, I thought this was for photos in general but okay.

Thanks any ways.
I think what the person meant, that people and cars are two different subjects and you shoot both differently. So in order to get a good idea of how you might photograph cosplayers, pictures of people might help.

Your cars are very glossy. I like them.
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
Maiiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowRayne View Post
I think what the person meant, that people and cars are two different subjects and you shoot both differently. So in order to get a good idea of how you might photograph cosplayers, pictures of people might help.

Your cars are very glossy. I like them.
Thank you, but it's like I said a post above. I need to find cosplayers to model for me if that's going to happen. I have a lot of photos from cons but they aren't good enough in my opinion for me to publicly display them since people are in the backgrounds and such.

Just message me.
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:05 AM   #9
SparrowRayne
Friendship!

Well I checked out your DA.

Believe it or not, they were really good. I think why you think they suck, is the color. All you have to do is a light edit. Normally playing with the Saturation Curve or even an Auto-fix button (Some programs have it, other don't) will help that problem a lot. If you want someone to practice, totally up for it.
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #10
Maiiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowRayne View Post
Well I checked out your DA.

Believe it or not, they were really good. I think why you think they suck, is the color. All you have to do is a light edit. Normally playing with the Saturation Curve or even an Auto-fix button (Some programs have it, other don't) will help that problem a lot. If you want someone to practice, totally up for it.
Yeah, That would be really great! ^^ It's been a long time since I've done a photo-shoot.

Hmm, I don't think I've actually done anything to the first four photos I uploaded and I was actually very disappointed because I took a lot of photos but I forgot to set my camera to RAW + JPEG so I wasn't able to get the quality I wanted. I could have edited them but with each edit, It would basically lose more and more quality, there would be much more noise and color would be lost and yeah, I use Adobe Photoshop.

Just message me.
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Unless that car is a Transformer costume, it isn't cosplay photography.

That car would probably look good from nearly any angle, so the car does look good in your photos. The time of day does look good, making the lighting apealing. The location and s background is not so interesting. The best car shots are taken in places other than parked at a curb. A selective angle might have made the location look less distracting.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
Maiiko

It's photo critiquing and on photos, apparently not just cosplay photography or else this thread would have been gone from the very beginning.

And Yes, the main point of these three photos were to show editing, angle. Not exactly location and background because with a car like that, it'll look good in any place at any time.

But yeah, maybe when I own one I'll choose a more interesting location.

Just message me.
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
bungto

awesome i love it :X
bungto is offline   Reply With Quote