Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #4396
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

Maybe it's just been so long since I last played Twilight Princess, but the intro to Skyward Sword felt noticeably shorter.
Archelon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #4397
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archelon View Post
There weren't too many parts in the game that I had trouble with, though I would have appreciated it if

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
that friggin' water dragon would just accept that I was the Hero of Legend, for crying out loud. "Oh, hey, you found my secret lair. Only the goddess' chosen hero could do that, but I don't believe that you're him. Go heal me, and then maybe I'll accept it." Later, "Hey, thanks for healing me, but I'm still not sure you're the hero. I'll give you what you need to progress further just to get you out of my hair, though." Still later, "Oh, look, you're carrying the legendary Master Sword, the one weapon that only the goddess' chosen Hero of Legend can wield. But you know what? I still don't buy it. I can't just give away my part of the song, you know. Here, go collect these random trinkets and doodads for me, and then we'll talk." Geez.
Ha!

And it's not like it's difficult to make your way through that temple at that point. Hell, the burrowing guys from the volcano are just hanging around in there looking for crap. It's not exactly the most heroic thing in the world to have to go to a pretty much empty temple and get some water from the back room

The biggest problems I have with this game is the INSANELY copious amount of backtracking you have to do, and the controls. It's annoying too because it feels like everytime I see something really cool, I'm forced to go back to things I've already done EVERYTIME. Or even worse, in the case of the the desert...

IBM thinkpad mouse nubs are retarded and the person who though of them should be shot. Just deleted my entire paragraph.

It's just really bad. I think the thing I hate about this game the most is how little it uses it's characterization. The stupid meanspirited robot guys have more screen time than the entire skyloft put together. The game takes so long to get started, but you almost forgive it because Link and Zelda are amazingly cute working off one another, and the moment you start the Zelda formula, you lose all of it. It's a real bummer.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #4398
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archelon View Post
Maybe it's just been so long since I last played Twilight Princess, but the intro to Skyward Sword felt noticeably shorter.
I remember having to herd goats, retrieve a monkey-stolen basket for a pregnant lady and catch a very annoying fish in TP. Hmmm. So yeah, maybe it was longer. SS may have just seemed long because it took me forever to finish the "race" due to my poor flying skills. Not to mention all that pot throwing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
The game takes so long to get started, but you almost forgive it because Link and Zelda are amazingly cute working off one another, and the moment you start the Zelda formula, you lose all of it. It's a real bummer.
Honestly? I've found Zelda sort of annoying. To me it feels like, "Hey! Let's give Zelda more to do! But let's only give her annoying things to do!" :/ IDK. Even though I hated Spirit Tracks because of the train, I really liked the Link/Zelda interaction. In Twilight Princess, Zelda at least seemed regal. So far in SS, she seems too much like a borderline tsundere anime girl. BUT - I've only just started so I'll withhold judgement.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #4399
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Dude, I'm with The Hag. How the hell do you fly?! I'm glad that the "race" at the beginning of the game wasn't a real race. But yeah, I feel like if I fly too high the camera shifts to my disadvantage because I can't see anything, so I have no idea where I'm going.

Also, Groose is totally my favorite character.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #4400
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Beat God of War III last night. Tried out KOF 13 tonight, now my thumb hurts. Bah!

So my boyfriend and I returned some duplicate gifts to GameStop on Monday and came out with AC: Revelations and Skyward Sword. Then we remembered we don't have a Wii Motion Plus for the latter. Oops.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Los Angeles (January 9-11)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #4401
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name

Not sure of all this nonsense, but Space Marine has a special place in my heart. It faithfully represents the Orks to the letter between the tabletop version to the console, and I love it that the non-videogamers that picked it up turn out to ocassionally outperform action game vets in some of the modes. My friend was level 9 and always picked tactical marine while his teammates, all coming from experience in games like gears and halo, picked devastator or assault marines. They were all level 25-38, but he watched them all die so it was up to him in the horde mode equivilent to beat 200 orks and 3 nobz. He succeeded, much to their shocked surprise. I imagined the level 38 guy saying "I don't believe it" and my casual gamer friend responding, "that is why you have failed."

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #4402
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
I'm glad that the "race" at the beginning of the game wasn't a real race.
Seriously! I would have never gotten out of the intro.

Quote:
He is pretty hilarious. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Then we remembered we don't have a Wii Motion Plus for the latter. Oops.
At least you knew that you needed one! I went to GameStop on Tuesday to get one (since I couldn't find the one I bought a year and a half ago and never used) and overheard the following:

Guy in Front of Me: This new Zelda game doesn't work with my Wiimote!
Clerk: Uh, do you have Motion Plus?
GiFoM: ????
Clerk: See - here on the box? It says that it requires Motion Plus.
GiFoM: Oh. O.k. *buys one, leaves*
Clerk: People have been doing that for the last two days!

In fact, they were out of stock so I ended up buying a used one. Which is o.k. I'm probably not ever going to use it for anything except Skyward Sword.
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #4403
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

Quote:
Groose is amazing.

He get more and more awesome as the game goes on.
Archelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #4404
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Bought Bastion, The Blinding of Issac, Dawn of War & Wasteland Angel off of Steam.
All range from good to incredible. I am pleased.

Also god, the SS intro is long and awful.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #4405
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post
Bought Bastion, The Blinding of Issac, Dawn of War & Wasteland Angel off of Steam.
All range from good to incredible. I am pleased.

I suggest you play through Bastion ASAP. That game is nothing short of amazing.

You'll probably want to use a game pad though

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #4406
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:

You'll probably want to use a game pad though
Oh, I HAVE! It's pretty frigging amazing, and I'm using a mouse/keyboard combo, because it aint no thing.

I suggest EVERYONE buys "The Binding of Issac" on Steam while it's still $1.24. It's pretty much the original Zelda control wise only wayyyyy more twisted and dark, with a fantastic soundtrack. YOU GO BUY, BUY NOW!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 12-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #4407
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post
Long, yes. Buy why awful? Even with my sucky flying skills I found it sufficiently amusing. Having said that though, I haven't gone back to it. I think that Dark Souls has ruined me for all other games. Finally managed to beat Anor Londo on NG+ with the help of a couple of awesome Sunbros. So now I'm stuck at The Abyss with both my level 5 character AND my level 105 character. My level 41 girl is hanging around Blighttown waiting for my co-op pal. You're probably all thinking, "I wish she'd STFU about Dark Souls." I just think it's one of the best games ever. It puzzles me that more of the regulars here haven't tried it. Or did you try it and hate it?

Quote:
I continue to hear great things about it. It's definitely on my to-be-played list.
Unread 12-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #4408
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Long, yes. Buy why awful? Even with my sucky flying skills I found it sufficiently amusing. Having said that though, I haven't gone back to it. I think that Dark Souls has ruined me for all other games. Finally managed to beat Anor Londo on NG+ with the help of a couple of awesome Sunbros. So now I'm stuck at The Abyss with both my level 5 character AND my level 105 character. My level 41 girl is hanging around Blighttown waiting for my co-op pal. You're probably all thinking, "I wish she'd STFU about Dark Souls." I just think it's one of the best games ever. It puzzles me that more of the regulars here haven't tried it. Or did you try it and hate it?

I continue to hear great things about it. It's definitely on my to-be-played list.
1) My beef with the Zelda intro is this

Nintendo: "YO WE GOT A SICK NEW COMBAT ENGINE, YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LOVE IT!"
Chris: Alright ::hands gamestop $70:::
Nintendo: "YO, YOU CANT ACTUALLY EXPERIENCE IT UNTIL LIKE AN HOUR INTO THE GAME. ENJOY SOME BS QUESTS. THEN ITS GOING TO BE DOPE FOR LIKE 20 MINUTES, AND BACK TO THE BS QUESTS!"
Chris: ".........."
::Turns off Wii, goes directly to PC, boots up Steam::

AND I HAVENT TOUCHED IT SINCE.

2) I will eventually, but godamn Bastion is great. As is Binding. And Dawn of War. And Mass Effect 2.

C) As for Dark Souls. I sounds rad as hell, but I'm not sure if I could tolerate getting my ass handed to me repeatedly.

::: Says this, yet loves Super Meat Boy :::

Cucumber) Bastion is rad, is great, if Bastion was a girl, I wouldn't cheat on my wife with her, but I'd tried my hardest for a threeway. SAME APPLIES IF IT WAS A GUY!

Unread 12-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #4409
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name

@the hag: I'm not cool enough for dark souls or demon souls. Also, I love Portal 2 and catherine so much it's ruining my general love for gaming.

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack

Last edited by Crusader_8 : 12-30-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #4410
akishiko
Loli act

Dark Souls, I still think it's superior to Skyrim imo.
Rayman Origins that I got today for half price in Gamestation.
Replaying Kingdom Hearts!
At this moment, playing Dead Rising 2: Off The Record. Frankie!
akishiko is offline   Reply With Quote