Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #4441
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,080
Back to Skyward Sword. After Dark Souls it is sort of nice to be in a world where death does not lurk around every corner. I still think it's pretty. I still suck at flying.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybren117 View Post
So I blame you Hag. Stop being such a bitch. With... With your brain, n' shit.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #4442
TheAnarCHris
Overrated
 
TheAnarCHris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 13,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Flames View Post
Playing Bulletstorm. Not bad for a $5 Steam game.
I paid $20 for it on the PS3 and do not regret doing so. The game is crazy fun, just a tad short and a terrible final level/ending. $5 is worth it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihander View Post
Pretty sure DoDonPachi is on there... if not, then it's on the Japanese marketplace. In which case, my bad.

Also WHY IS PARAPPA THE RAPPER SO FUCKING HARD, JESUS CHRIST?!
Because MASTER CHOP CHOP ONION!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
I HATE THE RED THINGS!
Started playing Ghost Trick this morning on the train ride to work and OMG MISSLE!

Game is rad BTW.

MAGFest was a thing that went down, and was the polar opposite of PAX East, which wasn't a bad thing, just insanely small. I got to meet/talk to the "Hey Ash, Whatcha Playing" crew, watched Metroid Metal & EarthBound Papas stageside which was awesome (Nobuo Uematsu making the Coloussus Mutant Power attack sound effect from X-Men:the Arcade game is a highlight), played a ton of games, and picked up an R4 card for $25, because I want me some obscure 3rd party SNES/Genesis roms to play on the go dammit.
__________________
Stalk me on twitter! @theanarchris, THEN IMMEDIATELY REGRET YOUR DECISION!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #4443
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...
 
DarkFujin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,308
You guys win, I bought Bastion.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #4444
Purple Flames
Rollin' like Jack Dempsey
 
Purple Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,362
Keepin up witht eh trend of buying a starting games a year after they;re released, I started up Dead Space 2.

It honestly just feels like glorified DLC for the first game.
Purple Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #4445
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
You guys win, I bought Bastion.
Downloaded the trial version. Looks great. Seems fun. I like the voice over - a lot. It's a good way to advance the story without interrupting your gameplay.

Haven't gotten much further in Skyward Sword because I'm mostly wandering around catching bugs and abusing the raccoon cat. I threw it off the edge and died laughing at the result. Have flying figured out. Overall the controls are kind of - not that great. They seem fine for fighting, but the flapping, swinging, balancing - eh, the motion is really unnatural. And I could do without getting shit on by birds. :/ It also amuses me that in Dark Souls, falling over the side = YOU DIED and, oh yeah, you lose all your souls and humanity and go back to the last bonfire. In Skyward Sword, if you fall off, a guy on a giant bird swoops you up, puts you back and warns you to be more careful! XD

ETA: This made me lol - Praise the Sun!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybren117 View Post
So I blame you Hag. Stop being such a bitch. With... With your brain, n' shit.

Last edited by The Hag : 01-10-2012 at 06:05 AM.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #4446
TheAnarCHris
Overrated
 
TheAnarCHris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 13,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Flames View Post
Keepin up witht eh trend of buying a starting games a year after they;re released, I started up Dead Space 2.

It honestly just feels like glorified DLC for the first game.
Are you playing it on the PC or PS3? Coz the controls alone as SO MUCH tighter and responsive in the sequel. Dead Space 2 was a solid game IMO. Very much an improved version of the original, but nothing ground breaking. Think the jump from Gears 2 to 3, only with crappy multiplayer tacked on.

That being said, there are some geniunely awesome moments in DS2 (like the intro), you can't break the game with your abilities like in DS1, and the final boss is a tremendous pain in the ass. PROTIP: Max out that flame thrower and mine gun ASAP.
__________________
Stalk me on twitter! @theanarchris, THEN IMMEDIATELY REGRET YOUR DECISION!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #4447
Purple Flames
Rollin' like Jack Dempsey
 
Purple Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post
Are you playing it on the PC or PS3? Coz the controls alone as SO MUCH tighter and responsive in the sequel. Dead Space 2 was a solid game IMO. Very much an improved version of the original, but nothing ground breaking. Think the jump from Gears 2 to 3, only with crappy multiplayer tacked on.

That being said, there are some geniunely awesome moments in DS2 (like the intro), you can't break the game with your abilities like in DS1, and the final boss is a tremendous pain in the ass. PROTIP: Max out that flame thrower and mine gun ASAP.
PC.
Purple Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #4448
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry
 
Arc_The_Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,643
Star Wars The Old Republic

Bunch of friends are playing now, got our guild going, kicking ass.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #4449
Chaletica
[laughs]
 
Chaletica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 805
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.
__________________
Chaletica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #4450
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!
 
MeiChama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,361
Final Fantasy XIII.

I've got XIII-2 on preorder and I'm trying to beat XIII so that I can say I finished it before XIII-2 comes out but nuuu, it wants to be frustrating beyond belief with a boss. DX
__________________
Where I'm Located
dA Facebook Instagram

Where I'm Heading Next!
Vox Reax Tour (August 16)
Miku Expo (October 11)

Wearing at Vox Reax Tour
Hanji Zoe (Attack on Titan)
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #4451
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...
 
DarkFujin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Downloaded the trial version. Looks great. Seems fun. I like the voice over - a lot. It's a good way to advance the story without interrupting your gameplay.
At first I thought the voiceover would get annoying, especially since one of the first things I didn't in the game was accidentally roll off the edge of the level and the narrator commented on it. Then when I went around destroying all the breakable objects, he commented on that too. I kind of rolled my eyes and thought "oh great, he's going to comment on EVERYTHING isn't he?" But actually, he really doesn't. He'll comment on some minor gameplay things if you do it enough, but not to the point where it gets annoying.


Okay, what's going on with the autosave feature? I finished all the vigils, which gave me a lot of money so I did a lot of upgrades to the weapons. I went into the final area but it was late and I wanted to go to bed so I quit the game and turned it off. Now I'm a level behind, don't have all the vigils done, and am missing weapon upgrades. Argh!

Oh well, at least I'm still at the final area, and there's always new game+
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #4452
TheAnarCHris
Overrated
 
TheAnarCHris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 13,313
Ghost Trick has gotten REAL plot wise. Gameplay wise, solid as per usual.

I downloaded some demos off of XBL last night. My thoughts:

Rise of Nightmares: Either I need a bigger apartment, or this game needed 3 or 4 more months in development. May be the later moreso than the former.

Final Fantasy 13-2: Yo I appreciate Squenix dropping a demo in other to win some fan backs and show what improvements they made, but geez this nonsense is confusing. Also kinda sloppy on the 360. May d/l on los triple de Playstation.

Asura's Wraith: I want to praise this game for being Godhand 2.0, but it literally plays like EVERY friggin Naruto game CyberConnect has made, and ODS with the QTE nonsense. Much like XIII-2 I can wait until this game is $30 to pick it up.
__________________
Stalk me on twitter! @theanarchris, THEN IMMEDIATELY REGRET YOUR DECISION!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #4453
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool
 
Mesoian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post

Asura's Wraith: I want to praise this game for being Godhand 2.0, but it literally plays like EVERY friggin Naruto game CyberConnect has made, and ODS with the QTE nonsense. Much like XIII-2 I can wait until this game is $30 to pick it up.
Naw, it just plays like Storm 2. Honestly, that plays to it's strengths because as a fighting game, Storm 2 is ass in the worst way. As a single player story focused game, however, the visual narrative stuff they do in storm 2 is second to none. If you ever told me I would want to progress through the Naruto storyline to see how stuff was re-interpreted, I'd call you a god damn liar, then I'd be a god damn liar because those cinematic fights are AMAZING.

And that's all that Asura's Wrath is, a series of outlandish cinematic fights, which is exactly why that game is going to work. Sadly, once you beat it, there will, quite literally, be no reason to ever touch it again.

As for FF13-2, from what I've seen and played at press events, it's the same shit. Yes things are spread out more, yes it actually adheres to normal JRPG tropes and engages exploration, yes the combat system has slightly been tightened up, but when it comes to story telling, the thing a final fantasy game is supposed to do the best over everything else, it's still tripping over itself like a drunken toddler. Plus the combat system still keeps a little too much under the veil for my taste. It's not any worse than it was in 13, I just like having a bit more control over everything. I played FF12 with wait on to satisfy this need, which made it take longer both times I played through, but it was the way I wanted to play. Even with 13's version of "wait", you still don't have as much control over everything that I'd like. But again, out of all of 13's problems, the combat system wasn't a big one.

I'm still pretty annoyed that they didn't listen to any regions outside of japan and removed "the least popular character" Szah, even though in europe and north america, he was the second most popular, only behind Lightning. BUT PAID DLC FEATURING SZAH THAT'S ALREADY ON THE DISC! ARE YOU READY GUYS!?!?! WWWwwwWWW!!!

Fucking square...
Fucking cyberconnect2 too...Those Naruto fighting games used to be really fucking good. Hell, ultimate ninja 3 and 4 were the best non traditional fighting games on the market for a good long time. I thought those games beat Smash Brothers to death. Then they went and fucked up the formula and now they're all shitty.

I'm making a video when I get home about this. ::harumph::
__________________
~Why, if every light is dark, do I continue dancing?~
~Why, if every light is dark, do I continue dancing?~
~Why, if every light is dark, do I continue dancing?~

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #4454
TheAnarCHris
Overrated
 
TheAnarCHris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 13,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
Naw, it just plays like Storm 2. Honestly, that plays to it's strengths because as a fighting game, Storm 2 is ass in the worst way. As a single player story focused game, however, the visual narrative stuff they do in storm 2 is second to none. If you ever told me I would want to progress through the Naruto storyline to see how stuff was re-interpreted, I'd call you a god damn liar, then I'd be a god damn liar because those cinematic fights are AMAZING.

And that's all that Asura's Wrath is, a series of outlandish cinematic fights, which is exactly why that game is going to work. Sadly, once you beat it, there will, quite literally, be no reason to ever touch it again.

As for FF13-2, from what I've seen and played at press events, it's the same shit. Yes things are spread out more, yes it actually adheres to normal JRPG tropes and engages exploration, yes the combat system has slightly been tightened up, but when it comes to story telling, the thing a final fantasy game is supposed to do the best over everything else, it's still tripping over itself like a drunken toddler. Plus the combat system still keeps a little too much under the veil for my taste. It's not any worse than it was in 13, I just like having a bit more control over everything. I played FF12 with wait on to satisfy this need, which made it take longer both times I played through, but it was the way I wanted to play. Even with 13's version of "wait", you still don't have as much control over everything that I'd like. But again, out of all of 13's problems, the combat system wasn't a big one.

I'm still pretty annoyed that they didn't listen to any regions outside of japan and removed "the least popular character" Szah, even though in europe and north america, he was the second most popular, only behind Lightning. BUT PAID DLC FEATURING SZAH THAT'S ALREADY ON THE DISC! ARE YOU READY GUYS!?!?! WWWwwwWWW!!!

Fucking square...
Fucking cyberconnect2 too...Those Naruto fighting games used to be really fucking good. Hell, ultimate ninja 3 and 4 were the best non traditional fighting games on the market for a good long time. I thought those games beat Smash Brothers to death. Then they went and fucked up the formula and now they're all shitty.

I'm making a video when I get home about this. ::harumph::
NAH DAWGG YOU CAN JUMP IN XIII-2, THAT'S WAY DIFFERENT!

J/King obviously.

As for the Naruto comment, I meant you mash the same button until it's time to going Super-Naruto/Sayain/Bankai/whatever and then QTE your way to victory. I'm hoping the final product is different, but I'm not holding my breath.
__________________
Stalk me on twitter! @theanarchris, THEN IMMEDIATELY REGRET YOUR DECISION!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #4455
CliffnCain
Chillin'
 
CliffnCain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,684
Fatal Frame 3

Finally found out where I hid it 3 years ago... Can't wait for the Slow Running Fast Camera action!
__________________
Mikhail Viktor RE3-Soon
Super Mario-Done
Dr. Weird-Eventually

The serious cosplayer.

Skype me at Datcrazyeric (pretty please?)
CliffnCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.