Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Chibi_Dark_Link
xProfAwesome

trying to tone

Well id like to say that at one point i was near 250 lbs at least, as of now i am 170. I was not fat all my life it started around maybe the age of 14 or 15 when i had to take meds, which slowed my matabilism, at 18 i stopped taking them and i kinda hibernated for about 6 months where i didn't eat or move around much. im almost 23 now and i been going to the gym a lot now, the big issue is since i was fat and dropped a lot of weight so quick now I have excess skin, its not terrible as of now i can sort of see abs coming in and i feel muscle but yet my skin is still kinda rubbery and stretchy. kinda like Luffy from one piece. ive cut soda out of my diet and i try to eat as healthy as i can but i dont have many food choices in my area, i go to the gym about 3 times a week and do an hour of cardio then do about an hour of weights.

Does any one have any good workout or eating plans that could help me? also if there are any ways to make stretch marks less noticeable that would be awesome to. thanks all.

Pic of what I was and what i am now.

also the current me picture was back in November, i think ive toned up a tad bit more since then i just dont have any current pics.

Last edited by Chibi_Dark_Link : 01-19-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Chibi_Dark_Link is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
3half

If you weightlift, you probably already know this, but here goes. Doing less set/reps with higher weight builds muscle. Otherwise known as "maxing out". On the other hand, doing more sets/reps with less weight tones and defines muscles. This is what your looking to do.

If you like to bench press, dead-lift, or do anything with the bar, I'd probably do around 40% of your max weight. (If you don't know what your max weight is, I'd say something around 75-100lbs on your bar would be good. That's what I do at least).

Other than that, you can take the free weights (dumbbells) and go around the gym doing lunges, squats, etc. Maybe even run with small weights attached to your legs/arms?

Anyways, the point is, less weight, more reps and sets. Try running, increasing your flexibility, etc. Good luck and if you have any questions, you can PM me

As for covering stretch marks, maybe try some tattoo coverers? I know that Kat von D makes one and it works well from what I saw. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qeIYMrBltY

Last edited by Michi : 01-21-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: merging a double post
3half is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Chibi_Dark_Link
xProfAwesome

thank you for the help.
Chibi_Dark_Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3half View Post
If you weightlift, you probably already know this, but here goes. Doing less set/reps with higher weight builds muscle. Otherwise known as "maxing out". On the other hand, doing more sets/reps with less weight tones and defines muscles. This is what your looking to do.
There is a slight misconception here. Lifting very low reps, very high weight or "maxing out" is best for strength development (1-4 reps). Lifting for low - medium reps (5-12) is best for building muscle.

For building muscle, this is only true in the presence of a surplus of calories and protein. In the absence of such, it is the most effective for maintaing muscle. (Not losing it due to diet)

To maximize "tone" or definition, you need to remove fat. The more muscle you retain while removing fat, the bigger and more defined the muscle will be. Consider this the difference between a skinny teenager with "abs" and a professional bodybuilder.

So, outside of injury recovery, or sports training, there is no aesthetic purpose for high reps. It does NOT make you more toned.

Instead, maintain heavy lifts (not maxing out, but lower reps < 12). This is true for both men and women. From there, eat responsibly and get your cardio in. Diet will be the determining factor.

*****Caveat*****
If you do not know how to lift with proper form, and are not under the direct supervision of someone who does; please do not attempt to max out any lifts. You WILL hurt yourself, and that will make getting in better shape all the harder.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote