Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Unread 02-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
hakojo

Homestuck - Carapacian face?

Since everyone who cosplays from Homestuck seems to do either the kids or the trolls, I decided that I would challenge myself and try SNOWMAN for this year's ColossalCon. I've got a pattern for the outfit, but the one thing I'm a bit confused about is the face.

My first thought was just to make a full-face mask of black lycra, and then paint the white eyes onto it, but not only would it be difficult to keep the eyes even with the fabric stretched over my face, the added layer of paint would probably make it impossible to see through the mask to begin with. My second thought was a lycra hood, to cover my head and hair, and then a plastic mask with white fabric behind the eye holes.

Would this be acceptable? Is SNOWMAN's face supposed to be flat black, or are features and some shininess allowed? (If I do the mask, I'll paint it with a matte black, so it looks better in photos.) Are there any other ways anyone can think of to accomplish this?

Thanks for the input!
hakojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

You could just go all black face, but if not; a Zentai suit would work great!
Then go to your local fabric store, find see through fabric like the Zentai suit and sew them on.
I think that might be the best option right now. Or you can just go the whole black face.

Try asking another SNOWMAN cosplayer what they did with there's.

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Emilt
This happens with boredom

I really think the full lycra hood is your best bet. I feel that the hood/mask combo will look tacky.

Make sure to paint (with fabric paint) on the lycra when its stretched around your head or else you'll definitely be running into some problems.

Also, you don't have to paint directly over your eyes, you can get crafty and paint around your line of vision. It looks like it would be easy to do with this character because the eyes seem curved and could be painted to completely avoid your pupils.
Emilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
hakojo

That's a good point about the way the eyes are curved - I think I'll play around with some lycra I already have to see what I can get to work before I get some for the costume itself ^_^

Thanks for the feedback!
hakojo is offline   Reply With Quote