Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Ohayocon

Unread 01-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

OhayoCon 2012 : Feedback Thread

So OhayoCon is over, what did you think? What was the good, the bad, the ugly, or the so-so? Was your experience positive or negative? What did you think of the guests, events, dealer's room, hotel, convention venue, or anything else having to do with OhayoCon 2012? Here's your place to voice your opinion. Please remember to keep things respectful!

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Misarylane
カラス

It was really great! I had a lot of fun, finding the panels was so much easier this year so thank you to all the helpful staff. No staff members being rude like some other cons. It was great all around, not too crowded, handled the crowd well. I had a really nice time and plan to attend again next year.

Check me out on
- DeviantArt -

Conventions
Sakuracon '12 - Phoenix Comic Con '12 - Anime expo '12 -

Cosplays
Panty // Blood Elf // Psylocke // Huntress

Misarylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
bodatheyoda
Thats right, love me

I had some fun. Just as last year though, staff and security need to stop power tripping on people there to have a legitment fun and memorable con, and focus on all the drunk douche bags that start showing up after 6PM... There also is 0 consistency within security. Some people will tell someone they are fine while later on, another member of security will force that person to be walked out. And that is bull shit.

My photography page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tk8919Photography
My DA: http://bodatheyoda.deviantart.com/

http://www.501st.com
bodatheyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Misarylane
カラス

I must say, I did get trapped with 3 drunk guys in the elevator but other then that no problem. But YES please do find a way to handle that. They can cause some chaos from time to time...like stalking young girls, or fighting one another.

Check me out on
- DeviantArt -

Conventions
Sakuracon '12 - Phoenix Comic Con '12 - Anime expo '12 -

Cosplays
Panty // Blood Elf // Psylocke // Huntress

Misarylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
nekosensei
Kitty

I thought it was pretty crowded, and it didn't seem controlled at all. None of the panels were really interesting, but that is obviously my taste. I would like to see more of the convention center's space used to control the crowd.
nekosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Barairo Ningyou
Hyuu~!

Overall, the con was great. I did notice that at some points the stairs were nearly impossible to navigate because of people sitting all the way across, even though there was room to move down rather than out, but from what I could see, I think it was usually controlled fairly well. My only real complaint was about the AMV awards not following the schedule, so the majority of them were announced before the timeslot on the schedule...but again, not really a big deal. Ohayocon's really gotten much better than it was several years ago in organization and such, so points to the staff for that!
Barairo Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Alcazar
Animefan

I enjoyed Ohayocon. Was my first con and was kinda last minute also was my first time cosplaying I did Isshin Kurosaki from the Anime Bleach, Had a good amount of pictures and compliments about the costume. Security was good except when dealing with drunk they would rather stop us from having a light saber fight instead of dealing with the drunks. Sadly though lost my voice over the weekend so didn't get to mingle as much as I would have liked to with people. Planning to go to A & G in March. Hoping for another awesome experience.
Unread 02-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Karrit
Lady Lupin

I did not enjoy Ohayocon as much as years passed for a multitude of reasons:

- Waiting till weeks before the con to list guests and programming. Ohayocon is becoming a mega-con, so early listing will have to be an absolute must.

- There were some great guests this year, Haberkorn, Iijima & the Ayres Brothers, but I thought the guest list was rather lackluster overall.

- Security staff being overbearing. Controlling crowds is a necessity at conventions, but treating people as children (although many act like them) is wrong. You can be assertive without being abusive. Also, they need clearer rules and instructions for how lines are supposed to be.

- People ditching and disregarding others at autograph signings. I am all for allowing disabled con-goers the right of way, there is no excuse for everyone else to jump ahead those that have been waiting longer than they have. I actually snapped at some said individuals because I got tired of it. Voice actors are not gods, they are people like everyone else. I think we can all be rational and patient to get their autograph and I'm sure they appreciate it more than us acting like a herd of rabid wolves.

- Stopping in random spots for photos. I cosplay and enjoy posing for pictures, but we need to be considerate and make sure we're not blocking others while doing so, especially in the Dealer's Room.

- Looking where we are going. I was posing for a photo when someone cosplaying as Sailor Uranus ran into my friend, spilling her milkshake all over her new Persona shirt without apologizing. Not only was rude, but uncalled for. Crowded or not, no excuse for it.

- Subpar panels. I love many of the staples such as Anime Hell, but some of the panels were boring. I went to the early morning DBZ panel, but left before it was over because I thought the info was inaccurate (I apologize for being persnickety) and uninteresting.

- Disorganization, or rather total chaos. Some disorganization is a part of the con experience, but I felt Ohayo had a little too much of it for a con it's size.
Karrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

Despite me missing 80% of the con, I could tell the atmosphere this year was... odd. A lot of down-right rude people. Some guy in the dealer's room said to Dadderface "Man, Snake, you let yourself go." Why the heck would you even say that to someone? =/

I'll come back next year, of course, but I'm hoping all the rude people will be better behaved.
Major Raikov (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker)
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
KnuxieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
ImNewHere
The new guy.

please delete this because I've tried over and over to put my much longer feedback response in here but it will NOT let me.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.

Last edited by ImNewHere : 02-04-2012 at 09:39 PM.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Karrit
Lady Lupin

Another complaint I have is the amount of trash people leave behind. I've been to project a-kon which is huge, but not nearly as messy to my recollection.
Karrit is offline   Reply With Quote