Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
ShinigamiDuoLov

Leather stamping? Anyone have experience?

Hello all!

I am in the process of losing weight, and would really like to do a Batman: Arkham City Catwoman cosplay: seen here! My problem is the hexagonal/honey comb pattern on most of her outfit (which you can see really well on her one glove?. I'm not sure how to go about replicating that. I would LOVE to do leather stamping (as her outfit comes of as leather and not pleather/shiny vinyl), but I don't have any experience. I know I would have to have a custom stamp made, which I'm fine with. I'm thinking it would only have to be between 1-2 inches wide. And it would be very tedious, but in my opinion worth it!

So, now my question would be, do you think this is possible? I'm thinking I would want a softer/thinner leather, to give the costume more flexibility. Would a soft leather work for this?

I suppose if leather stamping didn't work out, I could see about doing the pattern on an Embroidery machine. The thing is, the only access I have to one is my mom's and it can't do super large areas, so I'm thinking that could present a problem for me. I would also have use a trial or purchase a program that converts images into the proper format for embroidery machines. I could also do hand painting/stamping, but I would think that the paint could wear off as it would be on leather, and not a more absorbent fabric.

So what say you guys?! Thanks in advance for all your help!
ShinigamiDuoLov is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Penlowe

I have done a very little bit of leather stamping, say in the coin purse kit sized project. A project on that scale.... tedious doesn't even begin to describe it, let alone you would probably give yourself some serious Carpal-Tunnel problems with that much hammering. A full body sized anything you are looking at possibly 100 hours of labor, just on the surface design.

The phrase "the devil is in the details" definitely applies here. Perhaps some practice swatches are in order?
For large scale work, a custom stamp is good, but for swatching a regular 1/2" bar stamp should suffice.
Perhaps scoring the leather or doing some other means of affecting the surface to gain the same visual effect might be more time efficient. matte acrylic medium is substantial enough to paint on leather & dries clear. Using matte over a shiny leather just might give the right look.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
crazywuzhere
................poop.

I've done leather stamping, but nothing that intricate. It's fun, though.
You would probably have to stamp the leather before you cut out the pattern (I've never worked with leather-based clothing...). It might work and it might not. I don't think it would be necessary and it probably won't be that noticable...
crazywuzhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
harmonyisarine

Tooling leather is a different weight and tan process than garment leather. You could try to stamp it, and it may even take the impression initially, but it won't be by very much and it will probably fade out pretty quickly (the impressions in the leather can raise over time; not a problem on tooling leather, since it's very thick and the stamps are deep). In short, as awesome as it'd be, it probably won't work. ;_; Don't take just my word, my dad's been doing this since before I was born (and I'm heading into grad school), and a friend recently asked the same thing, and got the same answer.

If you're getting the leather for the suit regardless, and you have a friend with stamping supplies, it can't hurt just to try on a scrap of leather or an inconspicuous location on the suit. Don't get your hopes up, but it's a good way to tell for sure.
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
ScribblesITM
Just Call me Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyisarine View Post
Tooling leather is a different weight and tan process than garment leather. You could try to stamp it, and it may even take the impression initially, but it won't be by very much and it will probably fade out pretty quickly (the impressions in the leather can raise over time; not a problem on tooling leather, since it's very thick and the stamps are deep). In short, as awesome as it'd be, it probably won't work. ;_; Don't take just my word, my dad's been doing this since before I was born (and I'm heading into grad school), and a friend recently asked the same thing, and got the same answer.

If you're getting the leather for the suit regardless, and you have a friend with stamping supplies, it can't hurt just to try on a scrap of leather or an inconspicuous location on the suit. Don't get your hopes up, but it's a good way to tell for sure.
This exactly this.

My gut is that those parts are not leather but some synthetic. The leg parts specifically. That just doesn't LOOK like leather to me. The honey comb parts don't look like leather to me either but some sort of fabric with some stretch to it.

http://scribblesitm.livejournal.com

Planned Cons:

katsucon 2014

Attended Cons:
Katsucon 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, tekkshocon 2009, 2010, 2011 AUSA 2013
ScribblesITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Umbra.Exe
Loves bad puns

Maybe you can lay some sort of mesh-like fabric over the leather and paint/dye it the same color? (If the fabric isn't already black/grey) So the raised portion of it is actually another layer of material. I'm not sure where you would get material with that pattern, but perhaps it's another idea to think about...
Umbra.Exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
Rairi

You could try drawing the pattern on with some 3-D fabric paint, which should stick and also be flexible.
Another thing I can think of, is maybe they sell leathery fabric with that same pattern on. If not, I guess you could carve down some EVA foam (which has a sort of diamond pattern on it) so that it is thin enough to wear as part of a garment? but that seems really tedious too.
Rairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
ShinigamiDuoLov

I doubt I could find a fabric, of any kind, with this exact or similar pattern. Specially a lot of it, for a decent price. That's why I was asking about leather stamping on thinner leather, but I'd eagerly consider other options as I just don't think I could find that fabric. I'm thinking its leather or something similar, and not a vinyl, or at least a REALLY shinny material. Her outfit is not shinny at all, unlike in the Batman Returns Catwoman with Michelle Pfeiffer. Here's more examples of her outfit: This, and this.

My other problem is, that I've become a short of "perfectionist" when it comes to cosplaying. I don't like making things anymore and saying, "Well, that's close enough." I want it to be as close to accurate as possible. So the fabric type, color, and detail have to be pretty spot on.

But I'm liking Rairi's idea of 3D paint (thanks!). The pattern does have to have some kind of raised effect to it. I may get some and try on fabric swatches. The only problem will be getting the pattern consistent throughout the fabric. But I'm stubborn enough to make it work!

And thanks harmonyisarine and ScribblesITM! Again, I'm obviously not experienced with leather work, so I appreciate your opinions on the matter.
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
harmonyisarine

No problem. Good luck with whichever method you use! ^_^
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
cachalot
Blue Mage

I had a friend make a Jill Valentine (Resident Evil) costume recently, and that suit is also leather-like with a honeycomb pattern on it, though not as intricate looking as the one you're thinking of. She made a stencil and then used paint to stencil the honeycomb onto the suit. It took a really long time, but it looked very nice and very accurate after it was done.

Here's a ref photo of Jill: http://toydirt.com/wp-content/upload...-Version-5.jpg
And here's my friend in her costume: http://majesticlunacy.deviantart.com...Back-252471783

Photography: http://www.seventhmoon.org/photography
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gerodere
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gertysk
cachalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
ShinigamiDuoLov

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachalot View Post
I had a friend make a Jill Valentine (Resident Evil) costume recently, and that suit is also leather-like with a honeycomb pattern on it, though not as intricate looking as the one you're thinking of. She made a stencil and then used paint to stencil the honeycomb onto the suit. It took a really long time, but it looked very nice and very accurate after it was done.

Here's a ref photo of Jill: http://toydirt.com/wp-content/upload...-Version-5.jpg
And here's my friend in her costume: http://majesticlunacy.deviantart.com...Back-252471783
Wow, that's really well done! Thanks for the information and photos. After seeing this, I think paint is going to be the method I'm going to try out!
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
cachalot
Blue Mage

Good luck! ^_^

Photography: http://www.seventhmoon.org/photography
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gerodere
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gertysk
cachalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #13
Satine

The stretch and movement of the catsuit is nothing like leather, real leather bags at the joints and creases as it has no memory, not worth the heartache unless you are going for a motorcycle outfit style Try and get some samples from Stretch house etc for their matte vinyl. I have handled some and it is really nice.

I have some rubberised heavy duty stretch fabric same depth of sheen (not much unless a polish is applied) but a bit more winter weight!

The matte vinyl can be stenciled You can get automotive spray paint that is intended for use on the vinyl/plastic componants. It should say for use on vinyl on the can

Aside from the half open zip it's one of my fave Catoman designs Good luck and have fun!
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote