Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
CyberCandy
Just a v i r u s

Dressing Up Plain Fabric?

I'm working on planning out my Beginner[Mon Colle Knights] cosplay. This is a character I wanted to cosplay since I was a little girl, so I really want it to turn as amazing as possible. Her costume uses some pretty plain looking fabric and the pattern will be simple. So I want ideas on how to make this costume stand out. I want it look breath taking. It's been about 5 years since I sewn anything so I want it to look anything but simple. Because her hair is gravity defying[and I want to get it as accurate as possible] I don't want the dress to be too decorated and "out shine" the wig.

So any ideas for 'dressing up' this plain costume? Thanks so much~

Reference pics; http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/...play/Beginner/

CyberCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

One of the best ways to dress up a plain costume is to use fabrics with textures and prints in them. I don't mean to use a print that is lots of colors, but a tone on tone type in a jacquard or something is always nice. Mix it up too, use some duller fabrics and some with a little sheen. That adds a lot of depth and richness to a costume easily.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
char99char
Crazy for costumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
One of the best ways to dress up a plain costume is to use fabrics with textures and prints in them. I don't mean to use a print that is lots of colors, but a tone on tone type in a jacquard or something is always nice. Mix it up too, use some duller fabrics and some with a little sheen. That adds a lot of depth and richness to a costume easily.
Agreed! I was going to say the same. Take a look at different fabrics all over the store. Put them in your basket and look at different combinations. Maybe an allover print for the dress and something with a little shine for the trim.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

For the gold accents around the bottom of the dark pink vest/pinafore, don't use bias tape. (Everyone always uses bias tape for these sorts of things!) Go to the trims section of the store and find a nice gold decorative braid to use instead. At the bottom of the points, buy/make small bows to attach there - don't just throw on two yellow triangles.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote