Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 07-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Embroidered VS Applique leaves.

Ok so this project will need to be finished by next March/April I have the time staring in the fall.

So my issue is there are probably over 130 leaves I need to create in 3 colours and 3 sizes that cover the lower body and both side of the selves.
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery...b-kongiku.html

I would love to embroider them but I think for my sanity I need to either farm them out or buy a computerized embroidery machine at $500+tax+customs. >_<

Applique leaves are an option with just satin stitch the edge but I think I would want to thin out the pattern for that.

Initially I was going to paint them but the paint I bought doesn't like the fabric I'm working with.

I also also thing of using these opaque transfer paper but I feel like it might look cheap.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/409666-AA.shtml

I would love to get advise on how to tackle them and any suggestions as well.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 07-28-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I favor applique. There's a technique I've been using that doesn't have the satin-stitch edges, if that's something holding you back: cut out a piece of fusible web in the shape you want (reversed) and iron it onto the wrong side of the fabric you're using. Clip along the edges with about a 1/2-inch allowance. Fold the edges over and iron, then use a hem stitch to attach the piece to your base garment.

A piece with lots of corners can be a pain. I've had good luck just folding and tucking and snipping if it needs it. The cut-iron-cut-iron process takes a little time but it's still worlds faster than embroidery and looks smooth and fancy. Satin stitch over the appliqued piece to emphasize the leaf-veins would look great.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 07-28-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

The veins are actually revered out of the orange fabric. But doing the veins in a match orange might be a nice touch with dealing with the sharp lines on the inside.

I want these to have a nice finished look over the base duchess satin in pumpkin shade. I also want to do it myself and embroidering that many leaves is just mind boggling.

the hard part is finding green satin. lol

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 07-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I tried hand embroidering a crapload willow leaves for a furisode (as well as various insects and ridiculously detailed water lilies), and I got too fed up with it and never finished it after getting about half done over the course of six months(one example)- http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2375960/

So yah. If you don't have amazing patience for repetitive figures, I vote applique with stitched edges. Maybe embroider in the "veins", too, to look moe 3D.

Also, www.voguefabricsstore.com has LOADS of satins. And really well priced. (My Schala cosplay's duchesse satin was 8.99 a yard for 60" wide fabric. And I needed eleven metres of it. X_X)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

It's time for me to get ready to to this but wanted to ask one more thing.

I can satin stitch on my machine tho make the Applique Leaves but I was wondering if anything on had luck sealed the edges with something like Jones Tone Plexi with foil or foil fabric paint.
http://www.jonestones.com/index.php?...roducts_id=168

Either way I buying a light-weight fuse-able interface to set the leaves down before the edging. It's a matter of needing to buy a ton of thread or a tone of foil glue and foil for something like 150 leaves. lol

Also embroidery thread is not cheap locally so if anyone know where to buy it in bulk cheap let me know.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 02-07-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

You could just hand-sew the appliqué, if you were considering embroidering anyways. That way you get a really smooth invisible application (only tiny stitches around the edges), folded-under edges, and you can even get away with not using fusible interfacing so the flow of the garment won't be affected. Doing this in satin would be tricky though as it would want to fray; hand appliqué works best on a really stable fabric.

I have sealed the edges of appliqué with fabric paint; in one case I sewed the appliqué down by machine with invisible thread, and in another the piece was adhered down with Heat n' Bond Ultra (it was on a piece that would not get much flex and was already stiff)

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I was thinking of a hand sewing them down but due to how many point all those leave have as well as an inside cutouts to expose the fabric on the inside I figure it would be just as insance the amount of time to do it would be 6 months.

I think that satin stitching will give the best drape then now to find matching thread.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Penlowe

I have done a LOT of applique, both on a machine and by hand. Doing a blind stitch by hand & doing a satin stitch on a machine actually come out to about the same amount of time for me. I don't do satin stitch by hand, that is extremely time consuming.

Sewn applique, regardless of hand or machine, will always look better than glued.

I would estimate 15 to 30 minutes per leaf, to be generous. Once you get rolling they will go faster.

One tip, regardless of your finishing method:
iron the wonder under to your fabric first, big square on a big square. Then trace/draw your shape on the paper- REMEMBER to REVERSE it, you are going to be looking at the other side when it's done. (not so critical on leaves, extraordinarily important when doing letters that must form words). Not only is this nice in that it makes very clean raw edges, it's easier to lay your pattern across your fabric in such a way as to catch the best parts of the colors/ pattern if it has variation to it.

If you want the really good embroidery thread like Gutterman or Sulky, cruise through the quilters sites (I like keepsake quilting). Those companies house brands are often really good too.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Penlowe

I'll add this too
http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...px?search=bali
Bali fabrics are, yes, quilting cottons. But they are so named because they are dyed in a very specific process which gives them a fantastic variation of shade throughout, whether it's patterned or not. These are also done on very high quality cotton, incredibly soft to the touch. As an accent, they can lend a lot. There is no law that says every bit of any given costume must be the same type of fabric.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote