Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

How to keep poofy pants... well, poofy?

Hey guys! I'm looking for some advice on sewing these pants (Ingus from FF3):

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery...ngus-ninja.jpg

What is the best way to get that poof shape without it falling flat? Should I interface the entirety of the legs? My only thought so far is to stuff them with some polyfil and that would be horribly hot and uncomfortable. Any help is welcome! Thanks!

Blonadine.net -
Facebook me!

"Nothin but the rain."
dbchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
harmonyisarine

Whenever I've needed poofy pants, I just get a thicker fabric with a stiff drape and sew them into the shape I want. If you sew the poof part and then very sharply taper it in for your lower leg, it helps make the fabric want to stay like that. And as I said earlier, a heavier, stiffer fabric tends to help.

I don't actually have good pictures of the poof part of any of my pants, but it's always worked for me. I'd be scared that interfacing is too stiff, and stuffing them would be hot and miserable and just plain annoying. Since that poof only looks as if it goes to the knee, it should work, even with how exaggerated it is. ^_^
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

You could use a set of ruffled bloomers underneath as a bulk layer that might not be too bulky...unless of course this is for a male friend.

Another idea is using a slightly stiffer fabric...it in general will keep it's shape more easilly and will need less interfacing than it's thinner wimpier counterpart

three: you might also try, if you can get away with it, shaping it. Look up Lantern sleeve and this is what you'll find.

https://images.asc.ohio-state.edu/is...50,450&fmt=png

there are many versions of this and you could try using it as a base to get the pants to sit like you want.

4: polyfill isn't the best bet because you have to worry about it falling out and such. but if you're left to it. Try sewin batting, or Fusible, it's polyester and used in everything from Quilting to Tote bags and some applique work to add a bit of poof to things and projects.

Hope these help!
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

In the case of pants like jodhpurs, there isn't any fancy trickery inside the pants - they are simply cut that way.

Since the reference picture is of a SD style drawing, I would have to ask first if you're making the whole costume over-exaggerated in that style. If not? Then it won't be an issue. I've seen other ninja characters with the same basic style of pants, and they're not hardly poofy at all. If they are, it's simply due to the volume of the pant leg being tucked into the top of boots or leg armor. They aren't thin, narrow, or tapered pant legs, they actually have a little volume in them, but it's natural. It's also natural for the pants to puff a little at the knee if you have something there, such as an armor strap or the top of a boot, constricting the fabric at that point. Essentially, gathering it.

But if you ARE planning to really over-exaggerate the clothing to make it closer to the SD style, I would think all you need to do is cut the pant legs wider than usual and gather them into whatever knee or lower-leg boot/armor you've got going on there. They're not jodhpurs or slops (pumpkin pants), so elaborate inner stuffings and interfacing isn't necessary. Now, if you were making pumpkin pants, that would be an entirely different story.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote