Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Dragon*Con

Unread 01-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiggyStardust View Post
Hmm, it'd be a shame to have a member of the group missing for either of those, but it'd likewise be nice to have a Conner for a photoshoot. I'll put you down tentatively and we can keep in touch and see how things go?
Works for me!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #17
endo500

Quote:
Hmm, alright. I'd really like to get a full team going myself, and I don't think it'd be that hard to wrangle one of the trainers. Black Canary and Batman are common cosplays, and I think it wouldn't be too hard to find an accurate one. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Yeah it shouldn't be hard to get the trainers but the hard part will be finding an Artemus. Thats one of the hardest costumes to make out of the entire group plus finding someone to do it.

Loki Agent of Asgard 30% Complete
Buccaneer Nightcrawler 30% Complete

Destiny Warlock Delayed
Sentinel Robot (Version Undetermined) 5% Complete
Killer Instinct Jago or Fulgore (Delayed)
endo500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #18
SiggyStardust

Hey, everyone! I was hoping to get a check in to see if anyone's made progress with their costumes thus far? The mask I ordered for Robin (custom made, how exciting!) should be sent within the week. The leggings I'd bought for the costume seem to have problems bunching up when I do any kind of gymnastics though, so I'll be looking for an alternative to those.

I believe our Aqualad is abstaining from making his costume until it gets closer to the con, and I'm curious as to how our Miss Martian's costume turned out during it's first run. Did you have any problems?

Last edited by SiggyStardust : 02-23-2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Forgot something. (Whoops!)
SiggyStardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Hey, everyone! I was hoping to get a check in to see if anyone's made progress with their costumes thus far?
<< Superboy
<< Costume

LOL, not to come off as a jerk, but yeah, I'm good. All I need to do is get in some better shape and dye my hair black as we get closer to D*C.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 02-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #20
endo500

Hey guys. Even though I'm not putting together all the pieces of aqualad just yet I have planned out the entire project.

I got some wetsuit material to make the black pants out of. I'm going to get a brown pair of the shoes with toes on them to wear. I'm also going to try to create a way to connect el wire to black muscle tape that athletes use. That way it will look like the arm bands are glowing like the do on aqualad just before he pulls them off.

I just haven't decided how I want to do the shirt if i want it to be made out of wetsuit material as well or make it something different. I still have 5 months to decide so no rush.

I'm in the same boat as starwind i need to work out more as well.

Destiny Warlock Delayed
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
SiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post
<< Superboy
<< Costume

LOL, not to come off as a jerk, but yeah, I'm good. All I need to do is get in some better shape and dye my hair black as we get closer to D*C.
Hahaha, okay fair point. Just checking! (I left a note for you bellow, but I wanted to address both of you with it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo500 View Post
Hey guys. Even though I'm not putting together all the pieces of aqualad just yet I have planned out the entire project.

I got some wetsuit material to make the black pants out of. I'm going to get a brown pair of the shoes with toes on them to wear. I'm also going to try to create a way to connect el wire to black muscle tape that athletes use. That way it will look like the arm bands are glowing like the do on aqualad just before he pulls them off.

I just haven't decided how I want to do the shirt if i want it to be made out of wetsuit material as well or make it something different. I still have 5 months to decide so no rush.

I'm in the same boat as starwind i need to work out more as well.
Plans are great! A wetsuit is probably a good idea. The shoes are also a really great idea-- I hadn't even been thinking about what to do about the barefoot thing. It's a clever solution. I'm not familiar with the muscle tape, but you seem to have put a lot of thought into it and it'll be really, really cool if you can pull it off.

Kaldur's shirt is really high gloss, and I don't think a wetsuit material could replicate that really well. It might not be a bad idea, though, because it's a pretty indeterminate fabric. I can't think of any fabric that'd keep a wet-look without looking too flimsy, so it might just be best to stick with the theme. There's the problems of keeping your body a comfortable temperature, though... I guess it being sleeveless should help. I'm not very familiar with wetsuits, either...

Did you have plans for the webbing in his hands or his gills?

@Both of you - There's something called N.O. Shotgun you can pick up at GNC that may or may not be a good investment. I'm not horrifically familiar with it, but a friend suggested it's good for this kind of thing. It might be wise to research the pros and cons if you decide to go for it, though. I just stick with good old protein shakes and avoid sodas and sugar heavy things.
Unread 02-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #22
Static_ATL
Cosplay First-Timer

Any use for Static? I know he is not Young Justice but he was a Teen Titan.

No hard feelings if he is not a character you were looking for.

This will be my first DragonCon even though I live in Atlanta and my first cosplay. However I am a graphic designer, I'm not foreign to projects like this. My brother and I decided we would try cosplaying but we want to do it WELL. I will be going as Static and he will be trying Black Panther. The version of Static I am attempting is the Teen Titans/Terror Titans version from the comic book. I already have dreadlocks. I haven't purchased anything for the costume yet but I pretty much know how I am going to pull it off.
Static_ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #23
SiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static_ATL View Post

This will be my first DragonCon even though I live in Atlanta and my first cosplay. However I am a graphic designer, I'm not foreign to projects like this. My brother and I decided we would try cosplaying but we want to do it WELL. I will be going as Static and he will be trying Black Panther. The version of Static I am attempting is the Teen Titans/Terror Titans version from the comic book. I already have dreadlocks. I haven't purchased anything for the costume yet but I pretty much know how I am going to pull it off.
Hmm, well I won't turn you away, but you wouldn't have a chance to be in all our photos. Still, you're more then welcome to join us for some out of canon ones! Marching in the parade with us (I dunno how many of us are planning on that yet,) could also be a bit strange... (You might also want to check out the link in the first post for the great big comic book photoshoots. Black Panther is Marvel, though, so that could cause you some problems with that because I believe they aren't taking photos at the same time.)

So! In the long and short of it, you don't quite fit in with the group but I'm not personally against taking some out of canon (YJA canon, anyway, hahaha) shots. Feel free to stick around, and I'll list you as out-of-canon for photoshoot purposes if you'd like. I'm also more then happy to offer assistance with costuming if you need help.
Unread 03-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #24
endo500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static_ATL View Post

Hey guys always glad to see another new member in cosplay community. Let me know if I can provide any suggestions or ideas about your costumes. Also my best advice for you is to start early on your costumes and set a goal of finishing the costume 1 month in advance. That way you can test it out if anything goes wrong and spend the extra time to add some extra polish to your costume.

Destiny Warlock Delayed
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #25
SiggyStardust

Also, totally late on this, but I figure I should give a rundown of how my costume is going along/my plans.

I already had a custom leather mask made, and I'm going to stretch some white fabric over the eyes to achieve the proper effect. This will be attached to my face with the use of pros-aide. My hair will be grown to the proper length and dyed black.

I'll be buying a black unitard to wear, the sleeves trimmed down to proportion. The shirt and cape will be sewn by me out of an as of yet undetermined fabric. Boots will be purchased and modified as needed, as will the gloves. (I'm not sure how to deal with plastic fittings. It could take a bit of work, and... probably a lot of changed plans. Yikes.)

The utility belt will be a mix of purchased items and ones crafted by my hands. I'm hoping to make one that'll actually have use for the con, hahaha. I don't want to have to carry around a bag all day while in costume.

Batarangs will also be hand crafted from wood by myself, painted and possibly (though unlikely) have an LED inlay. Escrima sticks may also may an appearance, but are not planned as of yet.

And as I've stated earlier, I have been practicing my gymnastics and hitting up the gym to achieve the right level of physical fitness. I'm still brushing dust off my gymnastics, but I have time to get it down.

(Sob, I miss soda and fast food already.)

Last edited by SiggyStardust : 03-02-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Unread 03-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #26
Static_ATL
Cosplay First-Timer

I understand. Thanks anyway.
Static_ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #27
endo500

I know its not costume related but thought everyone would enjoying knowing that the new episodes of Justice Leagues have started again on Saturday mornings.

And not to spoil anything but we are going to need another member...

Destiny Warlock Delayed

Last edited by endo500 : 03-04-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #28
SiggyStardust

Haha, I stayed up all night waiting for it. But yep, we're going to need another member now. Hopefully she won't be too hard to find.
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #29
endo500

I liked the outcome but thought the episode but thought overall it was just ok. The episodes where they try make a big plot change are always just so so. Its the ones just about the team doing something on their own that are usually the best.

We still need to find an Artemis. Thats the really tricky one.

Destiny Warlock Delayed
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #30
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Hahaha, okay fair point. Just checking! (I left a note for you bellow, but I wanted to address both of you with it.)

@Both of you - There's something called N.O. Shotgun you can pick up at GNC that may or may not be a good investment. I'm not horrifically familiar with it, but a friend suggested it's good for this kind of thing. It might be wise to research the pros and cons if you decide to go for it, though. I just stick with good old protein shakes and avoid sodas and sugar heavy things.
I'll look into it, but yeah, I rather just stick with the shakes/dieting/exercise plan. It's worked pretty well to date.