Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 08-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Pashko

My attempt at cosplay photography.

Hey guys! I have gone to Blizzcon the last 3 years and I have been taking photos and messing around. I have just started to go through my hard drive and re-edit. I wanted to know if you think my post processing is too much? Should I make the colors more realistic? Please critique the hell out of it haha.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kpashko...n/photostream/

Thanks again guys!
Pashko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
CosplayCinema
Big is Beautiful

I actually really liked the blood elf one. She came out really pretty. :3 I'd really like to see more pictures. Maybe you should try and set up a little photoshoot. You'll get some great stuff from that.
Stocking (Anarchy)
Raichu (Human form for a skit)
Lady Rainicorn (Human Form)
CosplayCinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

Hmm, interesting start! It's a lovely costume, and shooting it with a narrow depth of field was a good choice.

Be careful about your angles. Dutch tilts can create interesting effects, but it's too severe here. I'm worried she's going to fall over! I would really have like to see this as a head-on shot so I could properly appreciate her expression and costume.

The post-production is a bit heavy. The lights area are overexposed, and some of the detail has been lost. Not sure if I like the color change, but it depends on what effect you're going for. Why did you choose this palette?

Be careful about cropping. You chopped off her elbow, which looks odd.

You requested we "critique the hell out of it," so I hope that was helpful! I look forward to seeing more shots!

Next Con
Youmacon 2011

ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
JessJupiter
Part-time Superhero.

I'd almost like to see this as a vertical portrait! She's very long and lanky, and mixing that with the ears, it definitely draws the eye upwards on her.

But I agree with BBB, the depth of field choice was an excellent one! And totally jealous of that location!

The post is a little heavy for my personal taste. I totally dig the color scheme, but in a more moderated sense. As a fellow WoW player, I'd almost like to see the colors pop a bit more to reflect how the character is in game.

Overall good start though! Diggin' it!
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
SNTP

I kind of like the split tone coloring. I think I would have tried to get a tighter shot, and I agree that the elbow crop does look a little odd, especially when there is plenty of space on the other side of the frame.

Off-topic question: I was looking at your other photos, what breed of dog is Bella? She looks really cute!
Nisei Festival 2011 Day 1
Nisei Festival 2011 Day 2
Nisei Festival 2011 Day 3 Preview
Con Plans-
Blizzcon 2011
PMX 2011
CES 2012
Anime LA 2012
Anime Expo 2012
SNTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Pashko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNTP View Post
Off-topic question: I was looking at your other photos, what breed of dog is Bella? She looks really cute!
She is a maltipoo and she is hyper allergenic. I am very allergic to dogs >_<. So the only choice we had was a poodle or a mix. Glad you think she is cute!
Pashko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
desireofthesun

From a non-photog's POV,
Angle: Okay, but its a bit... too distracting? No tilt would be better i think
Colours: More vibrant colours would have been better if you're going for a normal portrait. Unless you're going for some fancy battle effect or something (i don't play WoW)
Lighting: A bit too much shadow on the face and eyes. Consider using a reflector or something next time? (Again, non-photog here, so I have no idea what you guys have)

I like that you blurred the background (it's blurred enough to be non-distracting but not overly blurred till its ugly)
desireofthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Lady Solo

Oh my gosh T.T the blood elf one! I am so jealous!
Lady Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
The Ruru

I think the only thing is... The Blood Elf one seems a bit horizontally stretched. It's really good, but it made me feel a tad odd lookin' at it.
But it's much better than I could do! I just don't understand photography at all. <3
Unread 01-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #10
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

I agree with BBB and add one more item to consider - try to frame your models head so as to avoid the tree-coming-out-of-the-head look.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #11
Over9000images
Meme Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashko View Post
Hey guys! I have gone to Blizzcon the last 3 years and I have been taking photos and messing around. I have just started to go through my hard drive and re-edit. I wanted to know if you think my post processing is too much? Should I make the colors more realistic? Please critique the hell out of it haha.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kpashko...n/photostream/

Thanks again guys!
Sorry, but I want to barf. When I look at an image that is heavily slanted, I always feel nauseated.

Perhaps shoot a set that's less helter skelter next time? It would look great if I didn't get a headache looking at it, no sarcasm at all.
Over9000images is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

I like your post processing. It gave it a unique look and style. Just be careful to tailor the editing to the chatacter, unless you like irony..(which I sometimes do).

Slanted shots can be done in a way that adds interesting dynamics and composition to a photo. They usually work best when you do either high angles or low angles, to avoid seeing the horizon line. The amount of the slant can be a determining factor of whether is is a good effect or not, so consider how you needs.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote