FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

My first real photoshoot

Any suggestions will be great.

Here it is -

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/201968/

Critique away!

Pen Pen (Evangelion) - 10%
Duke Pantarei (Tales of Vesperia) - 95% - wig needs restyling.
Cecil Harvey (FF Dissidia) - 10%

Planned:

Emperor Gestahl (Final Fantasy VI)
Rakushun Rat form (Twelve Kingdoms)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Link Zora Armor (LoZ: Twilight Princess)

Desired, but not confirmed:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

PM me for free photoshoot in Seattle area.
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalevacosplay/
FinalEVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
SweetOcarina
will switch on you~

There are too many photos to critique properly, so I'm going to pick up on one thing I noticed and that is lighting. Some of these photos have inconsistant lighting that appears unintentional (i.e. shadows across the body from nearby trees). Some of the photos are also very dark. Remember that a cosplayers face is as important as their costume! Especially Sheik who wears a face mask: you need to see the cosplayer's eyes and face clearly so that the mouth covering doesn't just blend into the rest of their costume making them appear neckless.

If you don't want to invest in photography lamps, sometimes you can use just reflectors and natural sunlight (on brightly lit days like you were shooting in) to reflect light onto the areas that you think may be dark and eliminate/create shadow.

Hope this helps!
SweetOcarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

I agree with SweetOcarina. The lighting does seem random, rather than thought out. Find better lighting, or create it. Your colors go cyan when shooting in the shade. Try a different color balance setting for that. One photo near a waterfall is too bright. You used a flash, which added to that washed out look. Make color and brightness adjustments in photoshop if you can.

You are most often shooting down at your subject, making the head and body look bigger, and the legs look shorter. Try shooting from lower angles, from varying distances and zooms.

Give your subject something to do to tell more of a story. I like your poses more when the eyes are not looking at the camera. The eyes don't seem to have much expression. I don't know if that is the character or not.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

Thanks for the suggestions both of you.

Speaking of lighting, what kind of lighting would one need for outdoors if you were to create artificial light? I imagine it would have to be pretty powerful to be effective. I did get a reflector that I may be able to try next time (white on one side, silver on the other).

Planned:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Unread 02-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Strobe or flash will be much brighter than continueous lights. I like using them on light stands. The same flash you can put on your camera can be even more versatile if you get it on a light stand. Direct flash will be harsh and create unnatural shadows on the background. Using an umbrella or softbox will give a nice effect, but umbrellas catch wind and fall down very easily. Sandbags will help, but they are heavy to carry around. Then, you would either need a long off-camera sync. cord, or a radio transmitter and receiver to make the flash work. A cheaper alternative, would be to keep your flash on the camera, and aim it a a white or silver reflector. Depending on where you place the reflector, this can let the light come from an angle, rather than the flat lighting of flash coming directly from the camera.
Unread 02-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

Thanks for the advice.

Planned:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Unread 02-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Miss Tomyo
Tomyo

It may just be me, but the angles you chose seems a little bland. I would suggest trying a few more angles when the model is posed.
Miss Tomyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
xichigo

Best time of day to shoot is early morning sunrise, or late afternoon sunset. Midday creates very harsh lighting and takes away from creating a better mood to photos. That's what I read in a magazine and it helped me. It would be cool if you experimented with cropping the subject more and also played with angles. Putting the subject off-center creating an asymmetrical image makes things a bit more interesting some times too. Hope this helped! =)
xichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by xichigo View Post
Best time of day to shoot is early morning sunrise, or late afternoon sunset. Midday creates very harsh lighting and takes away from creating a better mood to photos. That's what I read in a magazine and it helped me.
Although there is much validity to lighting being nice at the beginning and end of the day, it is my philosophy that great lighting can be found any time of day. It just takes trying different angles, and sometimes moving the model out of direct sunlight.

Sometimes, just the pose can be the solution. If the sun is directly above, have the cosplayer tilt his or her head up. Side angles tend to look better than staring up their noses, but symmetrical poses can be fine, depending on the degree of the head tilt, and their nose features.

If you move them into the shade, make sure the shade does not have patches of sunlight, like when under a tree. You would be especially fortunate if you have a large, light colored building reflecting light into the shade. Mirrored buildings sometimes catch the light and aim the sun at you. Having a reflector, like you mentioned, is a great idea.

We should not have to limit ourselves to shooting at the beginning or end of the day. There are so many other looks we can get from choosing any time. There is 24 hours of great lighting each day!

Last edited by brucer007 : 03-17-2012 at 09:01 AM.