Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 03-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #61
thunderfirewolf

As a cosplayer and someone who enjoys taking photos, I feel kind of rude if I say 'no', so I normally just end up agreeing to it. I've had people approach me while I was eating and I just rushed to put my gloves and stuff back on. It doesn't really bother me if people take photos without me even knowing, I'm a horrible model as it is. I have this awkward tendency to stare directly into the lens or I'll start to look away and apparently give myself derp eyes :c
But I can understand why people would be a little shocked or upset at getting a 'no'. It stinks to see something/someone you really want a photo of and already have the composition in your head, only to be struck down with a 'no'.
thunderfirewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #62
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Interesting topic

Because I live outside of a major city I don't get the opportunity to have photographers take my photo and have to actively hunt them down them during Anime North as half of them only take photo's of well established cosplayers that they almost exclusively take photo's of with little to no interest or room for others. When I wore her during FanExpo there is less people with camera so I wasn't getting mobbed by random photo as much request. But would get a ton of photo taken with kids by their parents. lol

The only time I've said no is when I'm trying to go from point A to point B in my Red Queen costume because it gets photo mobbed by so many people with hand held cameras. Admitted I just want to start ignoring people when I'm trying to move as it's exhausting to apologies every two second to people when turning them down while wearing her.

Usually my costume are less known characters or series so it's not likely to get request unless someone know them or are just curios about it the work on them.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 03-20-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #63
the-essy

I never say no if someone wants to take my picture as a cosplayer. I do understand if you're on your way to an event and you're already a bit late, that you will say no. The problem is; if one person starts taking a picture, more people will follow. This can give you quite the delay.
the-essy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #64
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-essy View Post
I never say no if someone wants to take my picture as a cosplayer. I do understand if you're on your way to an event and you're already a bit late, that you will say no. The problem is; if one person starts taking a picture, more people will follow. This can give you quite the delay.
That's pretty frustrating for the photographer who asks the cosplayer too. A lot of the time these people can't wait their turn and end up getting in the way, so I'm not able to get the type of photo I wanted. Or even worse, the cosplayer shifts their focus to the other person(s) who interrupted. At that point I just leave.
Unread 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #65
the-essy

Well yeah, it's pretty hard to divide your attention. When a cosplayer already is posing for someone. A lot of people see their opportunity to get a picture as well. That would be frustrating for the person who initially asked.
the-essy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #66
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

I actually don't mind if the Cosplayer looks away when I take shots. Sometimes, the picture looks much better compared to when they look directly at the camera.

It works really well if you want to have a serious/dramatic feel for the picture.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #67
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

I totally agree with Hcoregamer. Looking at the camera nearly all the time can get old. I usually direct them to look in a certain direction other than the lens. It tends to look a lot less posed.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #68
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Thirded. Especially when the cosplayer is doing a pose from the source material. Looking in the lens often breaks the fourth wall in some ways.
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #69
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

It's just an example. By shifting focus, I mean whatever position I'm in turns into an unideal photo because other person(s) who have, in a way, taken over or rather taken the subject's attention before I accomplish what I wanted.

More extreme examples would be:
I ask a cosplayer for a photo. I spend a few seconds moving around to find a good angle (I use prime lenses making for more than average movement). In between that, people show up, so I'm in the middle of framing and haven't event taken a photo, but then I lose my chance at the photos I was intending to get. I'll still take a photo, but it won't be what I had intended. I've had the camera to my face most of the time, so when I'm not using flash, the subject probably just assumes I've gotten what I wanted.

I've also had it happen where I ask and then one or more people withing 15ft immediately get in on the action. So out of politeness I'm stuck in a 2ft box and I can't get close to the subject because that will screw up the other person(s) photos. That's especially a pain when I'm using the 14mm lens where I need to get close.

If I'm in a similar situation where I see someone taking a photo of an interesting subject, I stand back and wait until the person is finished.

It's just the way of things with hallway photos. I'm fine with it and deal with it. These are the type of photos I do 85% of the time. It's fun and challenging with new situations and conditions all of the time.
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #70
pocky_penguin66
Voxx

As a cosplayer, I've only said no a few times because I was running late to a panel and a fashion show. I was all dressed up for the show in makeup and all and was running from one hotel to the next and I had a lot of people ask for me to stop but I couldn't. As I was running away I yelled back at them that I was late late late and to come to the fashion show! I try to be as polite as I can.

As a photographer *novice* lol I've had a few cosplayers say no. *shrugs* Some people are just not photogenic or there is something else going on. It doesn't really bother me.
Fionna the Human ~Adventure Time
pocky_penguin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #71
thebrick
www.jyiphoto.com

One thing that I've done and have not gotten a "no" since (in any setting, lots of people say "no" in night clubs) is to approach with a smile and a business card! I think people tend to take you more seriously then. You can order like 1000 on Vistaprint for like $50 with a coupon code (they email them constantly).
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #72
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Business cards are helpful indeed, but $50 for1000 business cards is a lot of money compared to the deals out there. I have seen deals for around $15-$20, for full color, double sided, glossy cards.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #73
Patcave

At C2E2 yesterday, I was turned down for a photo because the cosplayer said it was against their booth policy (she was on the other side of the table of stuff). No biggie. I thanked her for her time and moved on. Other folks in costumes working at booths weren't as restricted (or maybe the cosplayer who refused just didn't want her photo taken, no problemo).

Last edited by Patcave : 04-23-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Patcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #74
udonoodle

Sometimes cosplayers have just had a long photoshoot with another photographer, and want to enjoy the non-photography part of the con.

Or because the photographer asks at a inopportune moment (such as eating lunch, shopping, or in a desperate rush to find a restroom)
udonoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #75
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patcave View Post
At C2E2 yesterday, I was turned down for a photo because the cosplayer said it was against their booth policy (she was on the other side of the table of stuff). No biggie. I thanked her for her time and moved on. Other folks in costumes working at booths weren't as restricted (or maybe the cosplayer who refused just didn't want her photo taken, no problemo).
That seems pretty weird, as I haven't had that problem before in-regards with not being able to take a picture of a cosplayer at an Exhibit Hall/Artist Alley booth. If a cosplayer is wearing a costume at a booth, she's promoting the booth, and should expect people to ask her for a picture.

Or if anything, she could've come around to the other side, away from the booth, and pose for a picture.

This reminds me of a booth at Anime Expo 2007, or perhaps a different year, where a Japanese/Chinese cosplayer working at some booth was cosplaying from D. Gray Man, and when people asked to take her picture, she said no, because she was charging money for people to take her picture..
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote