Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
p8ntballsniper8
Whaddya buyin?

Cardio, despite the heat

Hello all,

So summer is always my time where I get lazy and start to gain back some of the weight I lost during the colder months. Generally because it gets so darn hot here (usually high 90's-100's) that make it unbearable to workout when outdoors. Getting up early when it's cooler isn't much of an option, as I usually work rather late into the night.

Also, sadly, I live in a 3 bedroom apartment with 3 other people, so I'm a little limited on space.

Anyway, does anyone have some tips or exercises that I can do that'll get my heart rate up to a good level for about 45-60min without taking up a lot of space?

Also, I've heard many rumors that when you eat (like eating 3 hours before bed is bad cause your metabolism shuts down) can factor into weight loss/gain. Is this also true for working out?

Cons attending -

Sakuracon 2014-Donezo!
EverFree Northwest 2014

Last edited by p8ntballsniper8 : 08-09-2011 at 12:40 AM.
p8ntballsniper8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
leeleeleelee
X-Force Intern

Just keep swimming!

But for reals, swimming is a great cardio workout for the Summer.

Signed,
109 degrees in Dallas
Tron (Tron Legacy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
...what the actual hell. I think you've just guaranteed your romantic doom here.
leeleeleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Hikari25

I was going to say the same thing: swimming is a great cardio workout.

You could also do what I do; which is to wake up at like 5 in the morning, exercise(I run), and then go back to bed if you have time. It's usually cooler in the morning, after everything has cooled off all night.

Currently Planning: Miku Hatsune(Regular Outfit) for Colossalcon 2012
Hikari25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Patches
she killed a man

Do you have stairs? You could run up and down them You can also jog in place, jumping jacks, kickboxing moves, sidesteps/step-touches, Jumping rope (if you have the room), stepping up and down quickly on a step stool or box-thing (I've used a milk crate for this when I lived in a dorm room). Google for dorm room workouts, it should turn up lots of stuff you can do.

As far as the "don't eat before bed" thing...it's a myth. As long as you are eating a balanced diet/making healthy food choices, eating before bed is not going to make you gain weight. Calories in/calories out no matter what time you eat. Your body treats all times of day the same when it comes to your metabolism. It doesn't shut down or you would die! Most of your metabolic processes are taken up by things like brain function, breathing and heartbeat. All the little things that keep you ticking even while asleep.

Eating before or after workout....woo boy that seems to vary and can be up for some heated debate depending on the circumstances. lol

Last edited by Patches : 08-09-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
Rander

You can try this, try starting out approximately half of the interval time per round

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/indooroptions.html

flickr DeviantART

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)
Rander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Sayla Aris

In the summer, when it's just so hot out I can't bear to move, I wait until around 6-7 before doing anything cardio. By then the temperature has started to cool down, but there's also enough light out to get in at least a 60 minute run or bike-ride. And if that doesn't work out, you could always join a gym for the three or four summer months (Most gyms have a special price for the first month or so you can take advantage of). They have cardio machines (if you enjoy working out on those) and air conditioning blasting at all times so you can keep cool. In addition, some gyms, such as the YMCA, have pools with lanes partitioned off for those who want to swim laps. The plus is that its indoors usually, so if you are susceptible to sunburn, you'll be protected entirely from it and not need to worry about reapplying sunscreen during your work-out.
Sayla Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Kittymew

I have to give props to swimming, or waiting for cool temperatures; beyond that, here's what I do when I'm boxing in 35-40C weather:

1. Drink lots of water, but don't drink COLD water; drink water around 10-15C. It'll seem cold, but won't knot your stomach.
2. Wear less, or wear breathable clothing.
3. SLOW DOWN. The heat is going to get your core temperature up and let you burn a lot more fat as it is. You're not going to be able to train as hard, live with it.
4. FOCUS. Focus on your form in every exercise you do - your brain is going to be a bit addled by the heat, so you need to keep your head in the game more than usual.

Or, do what the above posters said, and swim. Swimming is GREAT.
Kittymew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
StrangeBohemian

i like dorys idea lol
StrangeBohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
RainingEri

I've been told that it's actually easier to exercise in the heat than the cold, because it warms your muscles up a lot better, and so you get a better range of motion and stuff, than if you do it in an air conditioned room. That's why I haven't bothered with a gym membership. That and I don't really mind the heat enough to care about AC. Or humidity (hate what it does to my hair though).

That being said, I fully support the swimming idea. I wish I had a pool.
RainingEri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
alliebeth
Show me your teeth.

At first it seemed gross, but when I do my dance cardio, I just have the fan blasting me from behind and basically just let myself get sweaty and nasty for that hour. Have a rag and plenty of water on hand. Open the window so some of the heat can escape and go to town. I'm usually sloshing in my own sweat by the end of it, but just go shower and problem solved. Sometimes it just feels good to sweat like a pig lol
[/color][/size]
alliebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
RainingEri

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliebeth View Post
At first it seemed gross, but when I do my dance cardio, I just have the fan blasting me from behind and basically just let myself get sweaty and nasty for that hour. Have a rag and plenty of water on hand. Open the window so some of the heat can escape and go to town. I'm usually sloshing in my own sweat by the end of it, but just go shower and problem solved. Sometimes it just feels good to sweat like a pig lol
As gross as I find sweat, I have to agree. I try to get outside at least a little bit a day, if sometimes only to walk the dog, but when I'm doing some hard work, like mowing the yard or something, I get all sweaty and feel gross, but then when I'm done I take a moment to just sit in the driveway and let the breeze cool me off. It feels amazing.
RainingEri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Alvulious

Exercise at night an option?
Alvulious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
datsuryouku

Or, you can attend a gym that's affordable and air-conditioned. Living in Arizona, I deal with the same problem. What I do is I run 3-5 miles near evening that way the sun is not as strong. It really just depends on what you want to do. Also, if you have a friend who lives in an apartment complex with a public gym, maybe they can you "hook" you up every now and then. ;D

Costume - 0%
Keyblade- 30%
Shoes - 0 %
Wig - 0%

Korra
WIP
datsuryouku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

I usually lose weight in the summer. I don't need food to help keep me warm like in winter. But I also have problems working out in summer. I also work evenings. Before it gets unbearably hot I usually work out after work. It's a little cooler and because it's night no one can see how red my face gets. When it gets too hot, I crank the AC and dance or do exercise videos in my apt. If you don't have a lot of room you can still dance. Just put on some fun music and bob along.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is online now   Reply With Quote