Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 01-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
nevercross

Critique a New Photographer!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...11415&type= 3
You can find the photoshoot pictures with the help of the link above.
I shot these pics with a Nikon d5100 + 18-55mm vr lens.
Also used photoshop. RAW pictures converted in ViewNX2.
I'm a huge stickler for things like aperture, ISO, exposure, etc....
so please, don't hold back on your critiques!
I please ask you to look at each picture as an individual, not all of them as a group.
Thank you!
nevercross is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
nevercross

;u;
nevercross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
levelsixtyseven

Facebook may not be the best place to display your photo collection as it in some degree distorts and lowers your photo quality. I would advise watering down and selecting only the best. The goofy ones are fun but don't really scream professional if that's what you're aiming for. Maybe create a separate folder displaying goofy and behind the scene shots. Since your shoot was at a playground there's a lot of poles and pipes. A few of your photos like #40 have pipes that cut through your model's body and doesn't really add any movement to your photos. Also location.. I don't really think a playground really suites Tifa and Yuffie (well her more then Tifa) Maybe scouting locations with metal fences and cement walls or something more industrial might add for a better scene for the two. Just some suggestions and opinions. It's great you're getting into cosplay photography! Keep doing more shoots.
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Congratulations on your journey into photography!

I will give you an over-view as a group, even though you requested not to. I think I can give you much value from this way as well.

The color balance on nearly all of this group of photos is towards cyan. If you want more natural skin tones, edit the photos in post, by adding red and some yellow to warm it up. On my camera, I use the Shade setting for preset color tempurture, which adds warmth already. See if your camera has a warmer preset color balance too. You might need to do a custom white balance to get more accurate, or more flattering color.

Watch out for harsh, contrasty sunlight. The deep shadows look unflattering. When the sun is high up, try angling their faces away from the sun, keeping their faces in total shade, or bringing them into the shade.

Direct, on-camera flash will look unnatural or artrificial, since it flattens lighting from coming from near the lens. Try having someone hold a silver or white reflector from a 45 degree angle from the camera to fill in shadows, or use an off-camera flash system from that angle. The larger light source like a reflector or umbrella can give you more natural results.

Last edited by brucer007 : 01-03-2012 at 10:25 PM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
Over9000images
Meme Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercross View Post
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...11415&type= 3
You can find the photoshoot pictures with the help of the link above.
I shot these pics with a Nikon d5100 + 18-55mm vr lens.
Also used photoshop. RAW pictures converted in ViewNX2.
I'm a huge stickler for things like aperture, ISO, exposure, etc....
so please, don't hold back on your critiques!
I please ask you to look at each picture as an individual, not all of them as a group.
Thank you!
Hey Never, welcome to the forums.

I think you should keep an eye out for backlit images, and make sure they're what you want before you create the image, as well as think about adding some fill flash for that shot.

I'd like to see more tight crops, and perhaps some reduced depth of field.

If you just work on capturing their emotions like you do already, it will be great!
Over9000images is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Missi

nice staging

I really like your creative staging/use of the park. I think you just need some small lighting/composition tweaks and you will be good. keep working on it!
Missi is offline   Reply With Quote