Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Fullmetal Alchemist

Unread 01-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
LilVamp25
Blissly Oblivious

Need help wiTh FMA props

I am working on cosplaying as Riza Hawkeye and this will be my first time to ever cosplay. Thus, I don't yet have to skills to make props myself and have to find places to get them instead. I've been able to locate pretty much everything else, but I still want to go all out!*

So, here's what I'm looking for:

Holster/Belt-*

Or

Pistols-

~FYI, the con I'm going to (A-Kon) has clearly stated they do not accept any form of airsoft gun whatsoever. They cannot fire ANY kind of projectile and must be orange, yellow, or red tipped so there is no confusion with security.~

All I'm asking is just a point in the right direction, preferably to a common store chain or even a certain type of specialty store I can search for in my area. Since I'm already having two separate projects being commissioned, I really would like to avoid adding to the list lol

I really appreciate any help or advice I can get as a newbie (*^_^*)
Thank you!
LilVamp25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
harmonyisarine

I don't know about the pistols, but Tandy leather sells leather holster kits. You don't have to go for all of the fancy tooling, you'd just need to stain and assemble the pieces. The one problem I foresee with this, though, is that since it's real leather, it won't be super cheap (but less expensive then buying a pre-made leather holster). They also have belt blanks, which you can cut down and clamp on the "overall strap" attachment (I forget what they're called, but they make me think of overalls every time! ^_^). The benefit to buying it all this way is that you can match the colors perfectly, where if you thrift the belt and do something random for the holster, they won't be the same.

There's also the vinyl option, but I really don't like the look of vinyl for these cases (probably due to being raised by a leatherworker, I'll admit it). However, if you have moral objections to leather or just want to (possibly, check Tandy sales) save money, go with vinyl.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7442594_make...r-pattern.html
http://www.indygear.com/igaccessories.html

Those are just two links for holster patterns I found with a quick google, there's more if you don't like the look of them.
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
verdatum
Extremely registered user

I really wish more cosplayers would get into leathercrafting. It's fun and easier than most would think.

However, you can usually save a little money by going with vinyl (pleather). The holster/pouch in the first photograph you attached is pleather.

You can often find crummy plastic holsters in toy departments. If they are not the desired color, they can be painted with acrylics pretty easily. They're pretty obviously cheap toys, even viewed at a distance, but at least they are cheap and not too hard to find.
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
harmonyisarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum View Post
I really wish more cosplayers would get into leathercrafting. It's fun and easier than most would think.
It really is, and the end result is just so nice!
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

i was in a leatherworking class and i could have made a holser for a firend cosplaying as riza but my mom threw out the peice of leather i was going to use.
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
i was in a leatherworking class and i could have made a holser for a firend cosplaying as riza but my mom threw out the peice of leather i was going to use.
This is your supervillan moment. You must now turn to a life of crime, just to spite her.
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
Mystic~
aka Darth Sunshine

I got my guns for my Riza Hawkeye costume from a local Dollar General store. They came in various Army/Cop play sets. They're scaled down a bit, and not as realistic as say an airsoft, but they're perfect for A-Kon. They already had orange tips and were never capable of firing any kind of projectile.
Mystic~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
blackcat523
Rum is always the answer

Here's what I did for my holsters for my Ross cosplay. I bought a toy gun from a toystore, it was green cameo, does not fire projectiles, just makes the noise. I painted it black. left the tip bright orange.

For the holster I picked up a toy gun set from the dollar store. Covered the holster in scrap pieces of upolstry leather I had, made it to fit the gun and sewed the leather shut. The plastic part keeps the leather open for the gun nice and snug so it doesn't fall out. As for the belt, I use a piece of nylon strapping, put two D rings on either end. I attach them to the buttons on the front of my buttcape. Gives nice black belt look and holds the holster in place.

2012 planned conventions: ACEN 2012
Others- Bristol Renaissance Faire- Kennosha WI, weekends Jul. 7 thru Labor day weekend

~ Even the professionals had to start out as beginners at one point~

~ooo seam ripper, I shall call him shiny and he shall be my friend~
blackcat523 is offline   Reply With Quote