Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 03-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
chimchim

Question Seeking advice for losing weight and toning specific areas

I made this new thread cause I'm having trouble figuring out what I should do as far as excersising goes. I was wondering if you have to lose the weight then tone the muscles or tone the muscles as the weight is being lost.

Also I would like to tone specific parts of my body seeing as I have..an unevenly fat body?
Like my legs and thighs are the heaviest part of my body and they seem to be chin li status without the muscle and would really like to know how to get NICE PAIR OF LEGS
I have seriously tried to tone my legs with those leg exercises but my legs are kinda heavy so I get sore the next day and don't want to do the toning excersises for the legs after ; o ;

Is there a way to slim down my legs without them look Ewwwy as the slim down?

I have recently lost about 10 pound with eating right but I haven't gone past that for about a month or two and I really need results for my upcoming cosplay
I have a small waist and I have some bit of a stomach and would like to get rid of that and some extra fat that is around my waist but that shouldnt be too difficult compared to the legs? I know crouches are suppose to help but is there an alternative to those two?

Yes...sadly I have a bit of arm flab..
It seriously frustrates me!!!! Do I need to get weights for those?
I seriously need some advice cause I know there are some people who are probably heavier towards the bottom have of their body and figure someone could answer my questions
I walk about two miles a day Monday through Thursday cause I have school and I've been dancing a bit of dance central 2 fitness mode for about a half hour but a lot of days I forget so I wonder does a gym subscription work as a motivation to go since you have to pay for it

Also... I have big cheek... will those go away with losing weight haha XD
I know you guys are probably like this girl is weird but I gotta have my questions answered so any advice even if it doesn't relate to the specific topics as long as they relate to fitness I'm good

Thank you so much for looking and taking time putting your answers or advice if I happen to get comments
Thanks a lot
I know the question is out there.. What cosplay am I loosing weight for? Several actually...
Poison ivy, Mami from Madoka..Morrigan from Dark Stalker, Jill for the resident evil 5 body suit..dr.mrs.themonarch and others I have on my ever expanding cosplay list but yea >,<

Have a nice day or good night BTW!
And thanks again for all the reading!!
chimchim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
SaraBearaPumpkn
Sunsweet

Hmmm. I don't know a lot but I'll tell you what my body did. I have an hourglass shape, so my fat is evenly distributed. When I sought to tone myself, I ran some to burn a little fat and did a lot of walking. This helped the muscle underneath the fat look better, giving my legs a better overall shape. I also noticed running has slightly decreased the fat all over my body.

I heard that supposedly your where your body collects the most fat is the hardest place to lose it because that's where your body likes to store it. So in other words, your skinniest parts will become even skinnier quicker while it will take longer to lose where you have most fat, and you may not be able to get rid of it all there, unless you go really hardcore at losing it all.

I actually get a lot of exercise because I take meds that make me gain weight. Though I have never been overweight, I still understand how you want to fix certain parts of your body. Everyone does, and it's fine unless they become supper obsessed and start having an eating disorder. Even if people deny being that way, they might be secretly. --We're just honest.

Another thing I read is that in order to lose weight, you need to decrease calories, but to build muscles you must have extra calories. Because of this, serious muscle builders will eat and gain weight (including muscle), then they will lose all the weight and the muscle underneath stays the same and that is how they grow so big. So I think if you want results fast, you should do these processes separately, however, I just make sure I eat right and get enough exercise and they both seem to be happening to my body just fine.

So I guess my advice for you to do some cardio workouts to burn fat (like running or swimming), and tone your muscles with lunges and squats and push-ups and sit-ups, ect. If your body is young and healthy, then you shouldn't have any problems with losing weight and toning/ building muscle at the same time. But beware of becoming bulky if you don't lose weight. Hope this helps.

Dream/Future Cosplays:
Yugio, girl version
Skyrim Armor Mod
SaraBearaPumpkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
SaraBearaPumpkn
Sunsweet

Oh yeah, and if you are a little bottom heavy, then gaining a little muscle up top should help balance things out a little.

Dream/Future Cosplays:
Yugio, girl version
Skyrim Armor Mod
SaraBearaPumpkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
kiba1127

I have almost the exact same issues as you, so your not alone lol. What I have been doing is everyday I do 3 sets of 15 basic crunchs and hold for 3 seconds then 3 sets of 10 push ups, holding for 3 seconds and every other day I jog/run for a good hour and a half. Ive only been doing this for about a week so of course I havnt seen any results but just exercising more has made me feel fantastic, and more energy so I feel even more motivated to work out ^-^ also I have heard that once you loose about 20 or so pounds you will see some fat loss in your cheeks/face.
As for legs running and biking is a good idea, or even lunges. And if you were really committed to working those areas a gym membership may help because you will have better access to work out equipment and personal trainers to give you advice on what to do to target those areas. I hope you find something that works for you ^-^ b
kiba1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
32spartan11
Spartan

Supa Dupa Long Post!

First I'm going to through out some definitions to help you get a better understanding of how to track your fitness goals.

Tone- I would call this muscle definition. I stay away from this "toned" because people easily confuse it as it is used for broad definitions by the average person for fitness with things such as "I wanted to tone up so I ran on the treadmill", or "I wanted to tone my arms so i did bicep curls". Waaaay too broad of a term and very inconsistent from one person to the next.

Spot Training- An untrue fitness myth that is the act of doing an exercise to remove fat from a particular area to "tone" the spot. This is probably the worst workout myth as it completely ruins peoples motivation because people do a certain exercise like a crunch or bicep curl and see no results. Mainly because these exercise even if done in excess do not burn many calories and in turn don't drop the persons BF%.

Body Fat Percentage (BF%)- a much better way to look at muscle definition or "tone". It is an exact measurement of how much subcutaneous fat (the fat under your skin) your body stores for energy. The lower the BF% the more muscle definition or the more people will look
"cut" or "toned". Better phrase than tone because every person will have their own vision as to what "toned" is and BF% is an exact measurement you can record and set a goal for.

Lean Body Mass (LBM)- Again an exact measurement of your weight minus your body fat. This accounts for all of a person mass beside subcutaneous fat. Basically every thing in your LBM besides muscle mass will stay constant if your done growing. (though depending on sodium intake your body can store more water affecting your scale weight and possibly visceral fat, but unless your extremely obese or eating absolute garbage for an extended period of time you shouldn't have to worry about visceral fat.)

Resistance Training- Exercise in which muscle strength, size or endurance is stimulated and improved by putting it under tension and exceding it's current capabilities. Exampled are weight lifting or body weighted exercises such push ups pull ups squats. Cause tiny tears in the muscles that must be repaired which creates soreness. Benefits of doing resistance training and having a higher LBM the more calories your body burns naturally just to function as muscle cells use many more calories to function than fat cells. Recommended amount of time resistance training 20-80 minutes depending on goals and fitness level.

Cardio- Exercise which conditions the cardiovascular system improving blood flow and strength of the heart. Done in the correct heart rate zone for the persons age a great way to burn calories and fat. Done optimally it can have an after burner effect that keeps your body burning calories long after the work out is finished. Examples brisk walk, jogging, biking, stair climbing, swimming, elliptical machine. Should have at least 20 minutes a day of cardio and optimal to burn the most calories 45-90 minutes (could be even longer).

Compound Exercise- A resistance training exercise that works a large muscle group. Working both large and small muscles in one movement, burning more calories and allowing for quicker workouts. Opposite of isolation exercise which work one (usually) small muscle.

Now lets answer some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim View Post
I was wondering if you have to lose the weight then tone the muscles or tone the muscles as the weight is being lost.
The absolute best way to be healthy and lose weight is to do both cardio and resistance training. By doing resistance training you ensure your not going to lose muscle mass(LBM). Usually someone new to resistance training even in a caloric deficit and trying to lose weight can gain muscle and LBM. Having a decent LBM and a lower BF% is key to looking fit and good

Many girls/woman neglect to resistance train and studies have shown that weight lost with cardio alone is usually 75% fat and 25% muscle. Losing muscle is a no no as having more of it gives people shape and form.

Quote:
Also I would like to tone specific parts of my body seeing as I have..an unevenly fat body?
This would be "spot training" and as I said before not possible. You'll have to just drop your BF% to a point in which your happy with your muscle definition as everyone stores fat in different areas of their bodies. For comparison a female athletes bf usually ranger between 10-20%, fit individuals 21-24%, Avg 25-32% and Obese >32%

Quote:
Is there a way to slim down my legs without them look Ewwwy as the slim down?
Yes make sure your resistance training and working your legs so you maintain/gain muscle in your legs making them look strong and sexy, not skinny and chicken like.

Quote:
I have a small waist and I have some bit of a stomach and would like to get rid of that and some extra fat that is around my waist but that shouldnt be too difficult compared to the legs? I know crouches are suppose to help but is there an alternative to those two?
Again spot training

Quote:
Yes...sadly I have a bit of arm flab..
It seriously frustrates me!!!! Do I need to get weights for those?
Not neccessarily depending on your LBM, but resistance training will always help.

Quote:
I seriously need some advice cause I know there are some people who are probably heavier towards the bottom have of their body and figure someone could answer my questions
Everyone's body stores fat differently. But dropping your BF% will help.

I
Quote:
I've been dancing a bit of dance central 2 fitness mode for about a half hour
Studies have shown and IMO Wii, Kinnect, Move games are not very effective at burning calories and shouldn't replace normal workouts. Even though they can be challenging it doesn't mean they're burning calories like a normal workout. Now granted not every game have I seen or have they been tested, so some may be just fine. But honestly I'm all for anything that keeps people happy, motivated and active.

Quote:
Also... I have big cheek... will those go away with losing weight haha XD
possibly all depends on genetics and where your body stores fat.

Now you know some basic terms, so here's how you go about setting goals and acheiving results.

A bioelectical impedance scale not only can show you how much you weigh, but your bf% as well. They're anywhere form 50-100$ and worth the investment if your serious about getting in shape. Tips for using the scale and BF% tester. Do it once a week on the same day, same time, wearing the same exact thing on the same scale. I usually recommend the best time is early morning on like a Friday and in the bathroom because it has a hard floor and you can wear or not wear what ever you want.

Now how to lose weight. Take whatever amount of calories your currently taking in a day and cut out 500 calories. Next try to split those calories in 5-7 small meals/ snacks a day as this helps keep blood glucose, insulin and energy levels the same and continuous through out the day. This calorie calculator and website can help. The owner of the site gives some great advice and makes videos on youtube of workouts and all things fitness. Getting the correct nutrition and amount of calories is key to dropping your BF% and reaching your goal.

Now for cardio find an exercise that you enjoy doing for long periods of time or you can switch it up to get you 45-60minutes in. You could do something like start with jumping rope 10 minutes , move on to the elliptical 20 minutes and finish on the stair climber for 15 minutes. Usually the stair climber is the best for burning more calories but it will also force you to fatigue faster.

For resistance training focus on compound movements the six most important are Squat, Dead lift, Pull up/lat pulldown, Pushup/Bench Press, Inverted Rows/Bent over Row and Military Press (also know as the shoulder or over head press). Other great compound moves for your legs are lunges and step ups. Master these exercises getting their form down. By sticking with these exercise and using their varitions you can hit your entire body quickly and efficiently and get the best results. A great book that is pretty cheap gives advice on workouts and nutrition is the Women's Health Big Book of Exercise.

For a routine for starters I'd recommend 2 resistance training workouts a week (good time between 25-40 minutes) and three 45-60 minute cardio workouts. Your "off" days just be sure to be active for at least 20 minutes, but the more you can stay active everyday the more you can eat and the more calories you can burn. After you adapt to your workouts and get stronger I would switch it up between 2-3 resistance workouts and keep 3 cardio workouts a week. Also on days you do resistance training you could throw in 20 minutes of cardio at the END of your resistance workout. And if your really trying to burn calories you could do double sessions, such as two full cardio workouts or a full cardio and resistance workout in a day, just make sure your fit enough and have at least 4 or more hours between the end of your first workout and the start of the second.

my workout blog

http://weightgainersguide.blogspot.com/
32spartan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
32spartan11
Spartan

Wow I so long I had to split it up, but full of all the info you need!

Don't be afraid to lift weights, girls/women have naturally low levels of testosterone which is
key to building muscles so it would be really hard to become "buff". Think about it boy/men try for YEARS to put on muscle. Watch videos or ask a friend who knows how properly lift with good form to show you proper form. Proper form will give you the best results the fastest. Some info about weight lifting you should choose a weight that will only allow you to do the amount of desired reps for example if you want 15 reps the 16th repetition you wouldn't be able to complete with proper form. 1-3 reps are usually to build power with break of 2-5 minutes, 3-7 reps to build strength w/ break of 2-5 min, 8-12 reps (sometimes 15 reps depending on exercise) is good for muscle hypertrophy or gain w/ breaks of 1.5-2 minutes and 16 or more for muscle endurance with breaks of 1.5 or less. Though body weight exercises usually prove to be just fine for most girls/women so, you can skip the weight just try to do body weight resistance training.

This should give you a base knowledge of what you need to know to reach your fitness goals. Last word of advice SLEEP!. Sleep is equally as important as your nutrition and workouts. Make sure your getting the amount of sleep you need.

Yes this was super duper long but it's a lot of information that a beginner/someone unfamiliar with fitness needs to know.

Relavant Youtube Channels that should have demonstrations of different exercises and workouts.

Scott Herman Fitness - Professional Fitness Model/Trainer, provides excellent demonstration videos and has Facebook support group.

Strength Project- Unique channel that includes all types of health and fitness videos has SP Women channel as well.

Todd Durkin- Professional Trainer that trains some of the worlds best athletes such as Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees

Scooby- Awesome down to earth guy that has over 250,000 on youtube. Has all kinds of free fitness tools/articles/advice as well as demonstration and workout videos. Though he is primary a body builder he also focuses on losing weight heavily.

Good Luck and Congrats on already dropping 10lbs keep it up!

my workout blog

Last edited by 32spartan11 : 03-22-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Somsai
Guyver 01

Conclusion of Spartan's comment:
No such thing as losing fat in a specific area.
Only thing you can do is try to burn fat and
let your body do its thing.
Toning>>>Gain muscle to shape out that nice tone body you see on athletic girls.
Fat Loss>>Burn fat NOT lose weight.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
wababex

Hi there. I've learned recently that its almost impossible to gain muscle and loose weight at the same time. You have to loose weight by using less energy and when you're body has less energy available it eats its own fat AND muscle. (more fat than muscle though- don't worry, plus if you loose weight you'll actually look like you have more muscle)

I'm pretty sure this is true because I've been going to the gym for the past 3 months, eating the same and going about 2-3 times a week for an 1 hour to an 1 1/2 hours.
I've gained decent muscle that I'm proud of but I haven't lost any inches. Its frustrating.

There are a lot of different theories on loosing weight.
I suggest a bodybuilder's approach to it. They eat 1g of protein for every lb they weight (which can be hard- get a protein shake)
and they eat 10-12 calories per lb they are. Try to eat healthy things within those calories but they say it doesnt matter so much even what you eat, just as long as you get the protein and arn't eating as much.
I have a lot of faith in this diet
wababex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wababex View Post
Hi there. I've learned recently that its almost impossible to gain muscle and loose weight at the same time. You have to loose weight by using less energy and when you're body has less energy available it eats its own fat AND muscle. (more fat than muscle though- don't worry, plus if you loose weight you'll actually look like you have more muscle)

I'm pretty sure this is true because I've been going to the gym for the past 3 months, eating the same and going about 2-3 times a week for an 1 hour to an 1 1/2 hours.
I've gained decent muscle that I'm proud of but I haven't lost any inches. Its frustrating.

There are a lot of different theories on loosing weight.
I suggest a bodybuilder's approach to it. They eat 1g of protein for every lb they weight (which can be hard- get a protein shake)
and they eat 10-12 calories per lb they are. Try to eat healthy things within those calories but they say it doesnt matter so much even what you eat, just as long as you get the protein and arn't eating as much.
I have a lot of faith in this diet
To be honest it is possible.
Many ppl have experienced this.
No one really knows how this is possible,
but apparently they are doing something right!

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
32spartan11
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wababex View Post

Noobs can see drastic changes in both area, hence the insane amount of transformations with p90x. People droping 10" off their wast but gaining arm inches is not unheard of. But for someone with experience working out p90x muscle building will be minimal if any.

But to gain muscle and lose fat for a seasoned workout practitioner your nutrition, workouts, and rest (all equally important) has to be absolutely on point, your caloric needs change day to day. The margin for error is too close either way for the average person. But people can do it, they're usually getting paid to though, such as actors and fitness models.

As for your own experience I would take an educated guess and say your off on how much you believe your eating OR your macros are incorrect. Working out makes you more hungry and it is easy to over eat. The best advice I can give is spread out your calories over 5-6 meals a day (it will help with over eating, as well as increase the variety of food you take in which helps with micro nutrients), eat more fiber (it's filling and usually vegetables which have low cals) and keep a food journal/track calories.

Studies have proven those who keep workout logs, nutrition journal, and write down their goals have higher percentages of success rates with their goals.

my workout blog

Unread 03-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
Arti

Edit: As for spartan's reply, he pretty much has it on point, it gets "complicated" when dieting to near essential fat levels (5% for men, 12% for women, both are the upper bounds). Realisticly, one can reach "athletic" levels with a good amount of time and effort (~9.5% for men, ~17.5% for women)

It is possible, but it requires a very disciplined eating plan in order to preserve as much muscle mass as possible by eating extra protein.

Pretty much, once you start dieting down to a lean state, fat loss gets complictated:

As the level of body fat increases, there is less fat that can be mobilized as energy. Without getting into too much detail, the leaner you are, the less fat than can be burned (because you have less fat stores), and in turn, begins to burn lean mass to compensate. The way to offset this is done in a few ways:

Don't create a large deficit: This is detrimental at this stage because fat cannot be mobilzed fast enough. As a result, metabolic rate decreases to respond to the reduced caloric intake. The biggest mistake is to reduce calories by a ridiculous amounts in order to get that last few pounds lost, and end up actually being worse in composition.

Tracking your Performance: The best measure if you're losing muscle is simply any loss of performance. A gradual decrease in performance usually is an indication of either overtraining or diet problems. Also, a good way to preserve muscle mass is to simply work them out at the same levels.

Increased Protein Intake: This will help spare the muscle mass by breaking down the free amino acids in the bloodstream rather than muscle tissue for energy. Second, it will not spike blood sugar like carbs, so the body can easily be switched back to fat burning after meals. This is typically why a lot of bodybuilders recommend the 1g/lb of protein because it primarily acts as a buffer.

If a person is already lean to begin with and want to lose weight while maintaining performance, it's better off to lose the fat then begin a slow bulk, or simply do a recomposition. I feel like doing both at a lean state (abieit possible) takes a lot of work mainly due to manipulating many hormonal regulations to preserve as much muscle mass as possible.

If you want to read further (pretty much getting scientific) then this site provides a lot in terms of a biological standpoint

Last edited by Arti : 03-26-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
Shiawasehito
The substitute prince

Have you tried fat reduction massage, it works really well especially if you do it in combination with exercising.

For arms
http://huabao.taobao.com/beauty/d-61...#poster-detail
(skip down a few photos to see the tutorial, tutorial and pics do not belong to me)
For legs
http://huabao.taobao.com/beauty/d-60...#poster-detail
The general idea is to gently move the fat trapped under your skin and to mold it. This massage also helps with water retention problems as well.
For the face, try a face contouring massage, there's a lot of videos on youtube for them.
face pictorial
http://huabao.taobao.com/beauty/d-55...#poster-detail

Last edited by Shiawasehito : 03-31-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Shiawasehito is offline   Reply With Quote