Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Manga Chat

Unread 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
crazywuzhere
................poop.

Manga/anime Survey

I'd like to do a survey, if you don't mind:

1. Do you prefer anime or manga? Why?
2. What got you started into it?
3. Do you still read/watch? If not, why?
4. Do you think the popularity of manga/anime has dropped in the last couple of years?
5. What do you think of increases in 'digital' manga?
6. Define in your own words the meaning of otaku. I'm not looking for an exact definition...
7. Do you consider yourself an 'otaku'?
8. Do you think that future generations will be as crazy for manga/anime as it was in the last decade?
9. Do you consider there to be a difference in anime and manga?
10. Do you consider manga to be a genre?

Thank you for your participation, and I look forward to your answers!!!
crazywuzhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Kagomekai

It really depends on the series for whether or not I prefer the manga over the anime or vise-versa.

The thing that started me into watching anime and reading manga was probably all the old anime that used to be on TV when I was a kid.

Yes I do, when I have time to watch a series or read one.

4. Do you think the popularity of manga/anime has dropped in the last couple of years?
No, I don't think it has dropped, I think people are just more into streaming and reading stuff online or ordering it online which makes the trend seem to have dropped in the eyes of stores.

I'm not sure what you mean by digital manga.

6. Define in your own words the meaning of otaku. I'm not looking for an exact definition...
My definition of an otaku is; a fan of japanese culture(not nessessarily the traditional stuff but sometimes they do) who endulges in watching anime and reading manga.

Maybe, I don't know depends on who's definition of otaku we are using.

8. Do you think that future generations will be as crazy for manga/anime as it was in the last decade?
I think they will but the types of series that they like while most likely be very different from what the current trends are or were.

I like both so unless a story is extremely different from one of those forms of media to another I don't really see to much of a difference. But ya sometimes depending a story arc (if the series is kept relatively the same) it could progress faster than the other which sometimes is silly.

I don't consider itself to be a genre, I consider it a type of media that contains many genres.
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Mostly I prefer manga. I used to be more of an anime fan, but over the last six years I've become a manga addict. I think I like manga more because you can get some of the internal side of characters, their thoughts, feelings...that kind of thing. You can't always put that in animation. But there are some anime I'm still completely retarded for.

Anime: Growing up on Sailor Moon coming on before school and Dragonball Z on the weekends. Before that: Voltron and Ronin Warriors. I remember a lot of really old stuff that started to slip into the states back in the 80s...I'm older than your average fan nowadays.
Manga: Yami no Matsuei. I had seen the anime and then started reading the manga and fell in love even more. Though technically it started back when I was in high school with Sailor Moon being published chapter by chapter in comic book form.

I still do both. I read way more manga than I watch anime, but I still do both.

That's a bit hard to pin down. You still have people totally into it, but sometimes in various areas the fad has died down as just that, a fad. Other places it's still going hot and heavy.

I like having manga quickly available. But I also buy a lot of what I read, so I don't see a problem with it since I'm not just reading it and never putting money into the industry.

Otaku started out as a negative connotation towards people. Then it was adopted as a "cool" thing to be. Me, I just see it as someone who is pretty obsessed with anime/manga and the like.

Not really. I'm a fan, but I don't get into it like some people, like writing fanfiction and RPing, and all that. I just like what I like with no extra fluff except cosplaying and collecting series I like.

It's likely. But fads come and go, and who knows what will be the next big thing for younger generations.

Of course. For one, they are two different forms of media. Secondly, anime is more of a mass co-op type of thing. It takes writers, animators, directors, producers, voice actors, musicians...all that. Manga is pretty pure. It's a writer/artist (sometimes more a writer and artist separate or something along those lines) and maybe a few assistants. So the creator has to write the story, draw the pictures, arrange it all, and pass it to the editor and publisher. It's not an easier task, but it's purer I think.

Yes. It's pretty much comic books, and that is a genre all its own, so manga falls into that area. It's a hand-held media.

Last edited by Mehdia : 03-31-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

Manga. I get bored easily with anime. Not because it's boring, but because I can't sit and watch more than 2 episodes in one sitting. Also, it feels good having shelves full of manga.

I was on YouTube and found something called "Vampire Knight" and was interested. My first manga was Skip Beat!. It was only one dollar so I decided to get it.

Yes.

No.

I like it. I prefer to read the manga online (or watch it) before I go and buy it.

Someone who can't go a week or two without watching at least one episode of anime or read one volume of manga. A person who loves cosplaying and wants to get their hands on anything that has to do with their favorite series.

I used to be a mini-otaku. But then I found Star Trek and now it's been two months since I've done anything related to anime/manga (I still rp though and cosplay). I'm more of a big fan now. I honestly don't see myself being a huge otaku.

People loved anime in the 20th century and now, so why wouldn't they like it in the next generation?

One is watched, the other is read. I think anime is more popular than manga, that's why people say "Do you watch anime?" more than "Do you read manga?".

Yes. Manga is a type of comic just like how cartoons are a type
HerrLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
alucard13mmfmj

Manga. Anime sometimes screw with the story line.

My friend said I should read this one manga because the character reminded him of me.

I only read a few. I am generally picky on what I read or watch. I don't watch something just cause it is new or hip. I like to read or watch something when it has aged a little bit.

Nah, more people than ever love it.

Better for trees I guess o_O.

Someone who has an excessive interest in something.

I would say so.

There is a decline of the quality of cartoons in the west. The best thing there is right now is my little pony. Honestly, I wouldnt be watching or reading anime if 90s cartoons still exists like Ren and Stimpy, Batman animated series, Spiderman, Beavis and Butthead, and etc etc.

Definitely... Look at Claymore.

I consider it as a category of literature.
alucard13mmfmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Not sure if this is allowed..But whatever I'll do it. I like this one.

Anime. But only cuz I am SUPER lazy....Don't get me wrong..I like manga, I just don;t have time or the patience..

T.V. I started when I first saw Speed Racer when I was a kid.

Yea. I was actually watching one on youtube.

No..In fact..Since i was in high school, it's actually gotten BIGGER. It's like it's the "kool thing" now..I remember when I was in elem and middle school, I got made fun of ALL the time, EVERY DAY for liking anime, now those types of people, that's all they talk about.

Same as manga in general..Don;t care..If I dont take time to read it in book form, what makes people think I'll read it in internet form?

In MY opinion, someone that is WAY too into anime but dont know anything about its roots..I've heard 14 year olds say they are otaku when all they have watched are Naruto and Bleach....And NOTHING ELSE!! Damn kids..

HELL NO!!

Couldn't say..It is now a fad (as mentioned above) and will die out..Just like any fad. It wont die out where no one will like it anymore, but once the "kool kids" in school think its dumb and something to beat up kids for again, others will follow like sheep to their dooms.

That depends on the series..Their are some that go word for word..And others that do not.

No..Manga is the japanese word for comic/comic strip, and that is not a genre. Comedy/Horror/Romantic etc etc are genres. Now, take a Romantic Manga..Romantic is the genre, Manga is the media used. So no, Manga is not a genre, its a media.
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
SuzuStarlight
Blade Brave

1. Do you prefer anime or manga? Why? It depends on the series. For some, I prefer the anime, but as I don't have so much time to watch anime, I mostly read manga.
2. What got you started into it? Pokémon. I played the Blue edition at a friend's place and I totally fell in love with it and watched the anime, too. With that, I also started to try out other anime and soon I also bought my first manga.
3. Do you still read/watch? If not, why? I still read and watch, but I mostly read because of the lack of time.
4. Do you think the popularity of manga/anime has dropped in the last couple of years? Well, I wouldn't say that, it just changed. Thanks to the internet, many people watch the subbed Japanese versions online, so anime on TV isn't that popular anymore. The community has changed, mainly aged, so the general trends changed. But cosplay and fandubs are still as popular as ever, so I don't see any reason to worry about a recession
5. What do you think of increases in 'digital' manga? It is useful for those who read manga that are not yet published in their own country or for getting a first glimpse, but generally, I prefer to have the actual book in your hand. But then, however, I also don't like eBooks because I think it ruins the feeling....
6. Define in your own words the meaning of otaku. I'm not looking for an exact definition... When I was about 11 or 12, I thought otaku would be a cool name for anime fans in general, but to my older self, it's more like the crazy, nerdy fans who totally freak out, waste their money for every little merchandise article and spend all of their time online. Typical Japanese definition
7. Do you consider yourself an 'otaku'? I called myself otaku when I was in my early teen years, but my definition changed. I'd say I'm a bit geeky, but not a real otaku. I have so many other interests besides anime and manga and I'm more social I guess. But it's true that I have certain otaku-moments, haha
8. Do you think that future generations will be as crazy for manga/anime as it was in the last decade? Well, depends on how anime and manga will be treated in the future. My future children will surely get in contact with it early and I guess thanks to the important role of the internet, many other children will as well.
9. Do you consider there to be a difference in anime and manga? Besides the general difference of comic/animation and art- yes. Anime have a different way of story-telling, because they can show things better and more interesting than the still drawings in the manga could. Also, through voice acting, the personality of the characters get a closer definition and the feelings are expressed better. However, there are manga that can do all that as well. That proves if a manga is a masterpiece or just pretty good.
10. Do you consider manga to be a genre? Not quite, I'd rather say it's an equal class to a regular comic. Manga and western comics greatly differ in their ways of storytelling, genre and of course art. They cannot be called "comics" in our western definition.
SuzuStarlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Since I'm bored...

Generally manga. With manga to anime conversions, usually the direction of the animation house can dramatically change the scope of the story. Case in point, Eureka 7: AO, the manga presents the Island AO grows up on to be a harsh, incredibly racist community that hates him for no reason. In the anime, the racism is barely touched on to the point where it barely makes any sense why people hate him.

If the origin of the story is meant for the medium, it's usually better kept to that medium. FLCL is a fantastic anime, it has a trash manga.

Sailor Moon and DBZ coming on at 6am on saturdays when I was a kid. It was all downhill from there.

Yup, all the time.

Nope, in fact it's dramatically increased. The only main difference is that television stations aren't chopping at the bit to engage in expensive long term anime licencing. But mangas are generally within the top 50 bestsellers each week.

There is no increase in digital manga. It's why manga piracy is so rampant, there's no actual good solution for how to distribute manga online.

Someone who allows the ideals of anime and manga to overrun their lives. A general lack of common sense is required

No.

No, as it'll be more common place. It's easier now to access anime and manga then it has ever been, it'll be just another thing that's there.

Yes...duh. They're two separate things.

...no, it's a format. That's like saying television is a genre.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

if i have the time anime, but magna is the top of the list when i have a busy day and cannot watch tv or a dvd.

i got into anime because i was not interested in everything else and to get away from being stuck with being interested in sports

yes i do

in a way yes, but the quality of magna/anime has dropped from when i was a kid

its not worth it, if the power goes out all the manga you have cannot be read

well otaku is a postive term for me but it can become an unhealthy obsession.

not really im not soaked into anime

8. Do you think that future generations will be as crazy for manga/anime as it was in the last decade? well if there is something to be interested in sure, but if it all becomes like hetilia or yaoi

yes, magna seems to be more detialed than most anime and feels better to carry around than most anime.

it depends if there is a difference between it and its anime version.
Attached Images
File Type: png i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet.png (152.1 KB, 0 views)
Unread 05-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #10
Miss-Kagamine

Anime, i like Manga too but as i preffer having the hard copy of Manga(not the online scans) i don't read it as much. I also preffer animation as i like to heard the voices(*likes subs*) and it helps me with my Japanese studies.

Eh i think i was about 11 or 12, i was in year 6 my friend who was in year 5(who happens to be one of my good friends now who i cosplay with) showed me Chobits, i used to love sailor moon when i was 7 but i rediscovered my love for anime through chobits.
of course i do, the previous question kind of answers it, though now as i am in my final year of school i don't watch it as much as i did 2/3 years ago.
I have no idea, personally i think it has become more popular as the conventions i have attended have gotten bigger(the number of people who attend them)
im not too fussed, But i really preffer the actual copy. it supports the hard work of the Mangaka and i like collecting it.
Someone who is obsessed with anime to an extent that all they do is stay in their room watch it and don't social interact with anyone else, or have anything to do with non related anime topics. I guess i take the literal Japanese meaning. I love anime and Manga but i do like other things too. it's not my life.
No, that would be going to far.
Well they're crazier now then 20 years ago when sailor moon and all those animes came out in the early 90's. So there is a possibility they may be crazier.. though i don't see how, some fans are pretty crazy *thinks about those insane immature Hetalia fans*

Yes of course, there is a large difference, apart from the obvious most of the time the anime strays pretty differently from the Manga story line and it's usually toned down except in the case of Rosario Vampire where the Anime was more Explicit then the Manga.

No, Manga is not a Genre but a text type. There are sub genre's in Manga(obviously) but no Manga itself is not a genre.
Miss-Kagamine is offline   Reply With Quote