Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
pinapplegum
Laughter is contagious :)

I just moved to Tokyo!

I was wondering if there are any awesome conventiones out there?

I'm currently stationed at Yokota Air Base and I really want to get out there and experience Japanese cosplay conventions. Anyone know the convention schedule in Japan? Thanks~!
pinapplegum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
elisiss
Nora-Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapplegum View Post
I was wondering if there are any awesome conventiones out there?

I'm currently stationed at Yokota Air Base and I really want to get out there and experience Japanese cosplay conventions. Anyone know the convention schedule in Japan? Thanks~!
コレを見てください~ ^^

http://ketto.com/
elisiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
pinapplegum

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiss View Post
コレを見てください~ ^^

http://ketto.com/
Oh goodness. Do they have an English translation version? I can't read Japanese yet.
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
elisiss
Nora-Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapplegum View Post
Oh goodness. Do they have an English translation version? I can't read Japanese yet.
ふむ、これでどうかな?
少しは読みやすくなったかも

http://honyaku.yahoofs.jp/url_result...v bS8=,qfor=0
elisiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
pinapplegum

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiss View Post
ふむ、これでどうかな?
少しは読みやすくなったかも

http://honyaku.yahoofs.jp/url_result...v bS8=,qfor=0
That's easier for me, yes. Thanks~!
Unread 04-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Tsumanne
History Nerd

Welcome to Tokyo. Actually quite a few of us that stalk this part of the forums are prior and current military. Prior AF myself.

Anyway there are a lot of events around the area, just they are a little different than events in the US. Japan doesn't have "Cons" in the Western sense although there are a few large events that generate a similar feeling. In Japan, Cosplay is kind of its own separate entity so cosplay is usually done at cosplay specific events although some large hobby related conventions allow cosplay. So events can vary in size from small photo studio gatherings to large-scale events with over a thousand cosplayers.

Some large foreigner friendly events in the area are:
Comic Market "Comiket": The largest amateur comic market in the world. Averages 500,000 attendees. Last event saw 8,000+ cosplayers. Held twice a year at Tokyo Big Site in Odaiba. This year's dates August 10-12 and December 29-31.

Wonder Festival: The largest amateur figurine/garage-kit convention in the world. Held twice a year at Makuhari Messe in Chiba. This year's dates February and July 29th. Cosplay has become quite popular there.

Tokyo Game Show: Japanese video game industry trade fair. Held once a year at Makuhari Messe in Chiba. This years dates September 22-23.

Tokyo Fashion Town "TFT": A large cosplay only event held multiple times a year at Tokyo Fashion Town's event hall in Odaiba. Not sure on all the dates, but they always hold events at the same time as Comiket. Some Japanese ability recommended.

Not in the area, but worth going to once for the experience is the World Cosplay Summit in Nagoya. It's in early August.

Aside from these, most cosplay events are small scale cosplay only events. These small events are held almost every weekend somewhere around Tokyo. Cure Cosplay has a good event calendar, but it's only available in the Japanese section of the site.

Just so you know, randomly walking around in cosplay in public is very frowned upon, this includes Akihabara. Because of this cosplay events prohibit cosplayers from wearing their costumes to and from events. You must change at the event, which will provide on-site dressing rooms. Exception being Gothic-lolita because it's considered street fashion and not cosplay.

Enjoy Yokota, y'all have the best BX in Japan...

Event Calendar:
Megacon - Florida, USA: March
Bay Area Renaissance Festival - Florida, USA: March
Sun n' Fun International Fly-In and Expo - Florida, USA: April
Comic Market 86 - Tokyo, Japan: August

Last edited by Tsumanne : 04-09-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Tsumanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
trupnoi_25
not perfect

i was wondering if anyone knows where's a good place to purchase some cosplay supplies (ie. craftfoam, vinyl fabric, etc.) I've heard of Tokyo Hands but i'd have to travel to Shinjuku just to go to one, hoping there is one closer to Fussa... any help would be great
trupnoi_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
Hikaru_Claire
NinjaPandaMasterSummoner

Thanks Tsumanne~! I used to live in Japan in 2006 and I was SOOO frustrated I didn't speak enough Japanese or have any cosplay friends to help me find events! I'll be moving there next year so this time things will be different!
Hikaru_Claire is offline   Reply With Quote