Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Others

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Unread 04-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #106
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efecss View Post
From the sounds of parking, I had better leave my room at like 6 am to find parking at the mall.
I reviewed the Earth Day San Francisco website and the parking places that they are advertising people to go to are the Civic Center Plaza Garage and the Opera Plaza Public Parking. So if either of these are places that you normally consider, you may want to head over to Japantown instead. While we could see some Earth Day parking head there, I doubt it will be much because it's too far removed from the festival itself.

Something we will want to keep in mind, as well: Given that the Plaza will be more or less completely used by the festival, there may be a significant change to the process and location of things this year. I am hoping Mr. Wendell, who should be emceeing the contest as he has in the past, will post and give any info he might know on how things will run this year in time for the contest proper. But be prepared to stay on your toes a little bit, and keep your ears to the ground here as much as possible, as this may be the most likely channel that last-minute announcements may occur.

Oh, and leave early for EVERYTHING XD

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

http://www.2dmanor.com
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #107
chifaes

oh man im terrified. planning to go to debut my midna. OTL been working on her for months.
chifaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #108
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chifaes View Post
oh man im terrified. planning to go to debut my midna. OTL been working on her for months.
Ohyeah, the nerves of a new costume. Gotta love it. :P

I am more or less ready to go, but my husband is still working on his stuff. We're in the last stretches and hopefully all will go as planned. There may be a few late nights in our future (because I'll be working on something unrelated to the parade, but still needs doing), but we're not worrying TOO much..if it gets done in time for the parade, that's great, but if not, he has a backup plan

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

Unread 04-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #109
Eliteslayer
Working on my evil laugh

I still have to finish my costume as well. Gotta make boot covers (a first for me), finish adding musical notes to the jacket, and complete my prop, plus hopefully find some other small things for details. Ah, the usual pre-event rush, always a thrill.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fb...00000992196766

Follow me on DeviantArt and Twitter. Avatar picture taken by ININ
Eliteslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #110
psidriven

Quick costume etiquette question. Taking my daughter this Sunday. She has a costume ready to go and wants me to dress up as well. I only have a Bruce Lee yellow jumpsuit. Is that ok? Otherwise I prefer to go in street clothes just so I can have pockets. So the other question is, is it ok to be casual if I'm just accompanying her?
psidriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #111

@psidriven you can do whatever you want =D. It could be more fun to cosplay with your daughter tho i think thats pretty sweet

2012:Anime La, Sac Anime Winter, AOD, Wondercon, Cherry Blossam Festival, Fanime, SDCC (ax alternative)

Might Go:Am2, Anime Expo

Upcomng Cosplays: Sokka battle wolf, Aang monk robes finale, Krillen, Rock Lee, Aang firenation, Alex Armstrong, Zuko book 3.
Avatar Alvaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #112
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psidriven View Post
Quick costume etiquette question. Taking my daughter this Sunday. She has a costume ready to go and wants me to dress up as well. I only have a Bruce Lee yellow jumpsuit. Is that ok? Otherwise I prefer to go in street clothes just so I can have pockets. So the other question is, is it ok to be casual if I'm just accompanying her?
Assuming you are only worried about fitting "in theme", I don't believe it would matter overly so. We have people that are VERY casual in their cosplay for parades because of the simple fact that it is comfortable, so casual that is more or less properly paired up street clothes (which means luxuries like pockets!!). Also, in spite of the specific mention of "anime" in the name of the event, stuff from anime, manga, and video games all participate, so even if someone recognized the Bruce Lee jumpsuit, they probably wouldn't blink an eye.

So whichever option you choose, if you're just walking in the parade and not doing the contest, I think you'll be fine, especially if your daughter is signifiantly underage and needs an adult to accompany her.

2013 Events:

Unread 04-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #113
Mr. Wendell
THWAP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany View Post
I reviewed the Earth Day San Francisco website and the parking places that they are advertising people to go to are the Civic Center Plaza Garage and the Opera Plaza Public Parking. So if either of these are places that you normally consider, you may want to head over to Japantown instead. While we could see some Earth Day parking head there, I doubt it will be much because it's too far removed from the festival itself.

Something we will want to keep in mind, as well: Given that the Plaza will be more or less completely used by the festival, there may be a significant change to the process and location of things this year. I am hoping Mr. Wendell, who should be emceeing the contest as he has in the past, will post and give any info he might know on how things will run this year in time for the contest proper. But be prepared to stay on your toes a little bit, and keep your ears to the ground here as much as possible, as this may be the most likely channel that last-minute announcements may occur.

Oh, and leave early for EVERYTHING XD
I haven't heard anything about having to move the judging, but I'll check with Mr. Onishi, in case there is a need to move the lines or the judging to an open spot.
Emcee, Japan Center Anime Fair '11-'12
Emcee, Northern California Cosplay Picnic '08, '10
Host with the Most, The Mr. Wendell Show, Tales of Anime '07
Emcee, Japan Town Anime Faire '05-'07
Host with the Most, The RECCA Show with Mr. Wendell, RECCA Con '05
Life of the Party, (insert convention here)
Mr. Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #114
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wendell View Post
I haven't heard anything about having to move the judging, but I'll check with Mr. Onishi, in case there is a need to move the lines or the judging to an open spot.
From the looks of the image on a link from last year's event, my assumption is that the whole plaza will be in use that day.

http://www.earthdaysflivestream.com/exhibitors/

It seems that the trees will be where a bunch of vendors will be setting up tents, and the walkway between the trees will be a throughfare for pedestrians. So that typical area for photographs, etc will probably be out of the question.

With that in mind, would it make sense to just have us meet at the Safeway floats? Of course, we still have to find out if they are still using the same staging area, or if it will be relocated to accomodate for the festival.

Whatever happens, I'm mellow..

2013 Events:

Unread 04-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #115
psidriven

@avatar and dany. Thanks for the info. Also, where can I find a listing of the cosplay activities for the day? I'm sure my daughter hasn't thought this thru (she's 16 and spacey at times). She might not even know there's a parade.
psidriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #116
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psidriven View Post
Also, where can I find a listing of the cosplay activities for the day? I'm sure my daughter hasn't thought this thru (she's 16 and spacey at times). She might not even know there's a parade.
There aren't too many cosplay activities officially planned for the 2-weekend Festival, with Sunday April 22nd being the main day for cosplay with the parade, costume contest, and talent show.

Here's the schedule for the 2 weekends:

http://nccbf.org/index.php/schedule-of-events
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #117
chifaes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliteslayer View Post
I still have to finish my costume as well. Gotta make boot covers (a first for me), finish adding musical notes to the jacket, and complete my prop, plus hopefully find some other small things for details. Ah, the usual pre-event rush, always a thrill.
are you kidding. im freaking out. still need to finish little details that have to be significantly important to cosplayer paranoia.
chifaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #118
Eliteslayer
Working on my evil laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chifaes View Post
are you kidding. im freaking out. still need to finish little details that have to be significantly important to cosplayer paranoia.
Yes, I'm kidding; the "thrill" is more akin to panic, but I'm downplaying it due to the familiarity of the last-minute rush.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fb...00000992196766

Follow me on DeviantArt and Twitter. Avatar picture taken by ININ
Eliteslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #119
Efecss

Oh, crap... I waited too long. I was going to get a motel room in SF on the 21st, now, they are all full. Fortunately, I have relatives in Pleasant Hill who I am going to see about staying overnight with. And, fortunately, it is only a 40 to 60 minute drive in. So, I might chance it, take the car to the Japantown mall at like 8 am, and walk to City Hall. ONly 1.2 mi I've done worse.

But, who knows, with 2T2...

Also, should ask, is the bay bridge open?

Last edited by Efecss : 04-12-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Efecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #120
ophilliaxiii

Exclamation

*the site just came back up for that screen cap to use for regestration* April 12th 2pm

hopefully I can get my number!....waiting a week for the e-mail to work.

Last edited by ophilliaxiii : 04-12-2012 at 04:49 PM.
ophilliaxiii is offline   Reply With Quote