Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Gemini25
~Gemini

Arm help.

I'm a fairly petite female; I'm nearly 23, 5"3, 130 lbs, and wear a size 4/6 or 27/28 in jeans. I have a small waist, flat stomach and everything else is pretty proportionate. One thing I have always been insecure about however, are my arms. They are pretty musculer and because of this I have issues with tops sometimes, especially long sleeves. May fit me in the chest/waist but then too tight on the arms. There isn't a lot of flab, some, but there is a lot of muscle. I don't like them!

What can I do to tone them down? I was doing 100 arm punches once a week with 8 lb weights and then I was holding like a 15 lb weight behind my head with both hands and pulling it up and down 50 times.

People keep saying, "Oh you are a girl so no matter how many weights you do you won't build muscle!"

I believed them and build MORE muscle by doing this so I know that is not true...

So my question is, how can I tone my arms down and get the slim look (I do not want the built muscler look like Madonna etc) But still have some tonage? I have seen girls with thin arms, but they were all flab. I have a really flat stomach and abs and I have seen some girls who are pretty thick around the midsection or in general but have tooth pick arms and legs, what the heck?? I have a very slender mid section and bigger, more musculer arms and legs. I DONT want that.

Here is a picture of my mom and I, I am the one on the right wearing navy and red. This gives a good view of how my arms look, I think they look like man arms and I feel so awkward when I walk sometimes because I feel like that is all people are staring at!!

This is what I WANT my arms to look like:

Not thismine aren't this bad thankfully)

Or this:

And yes, I am doing cardio. I run 6-8 miles a week. I run 2 miles 3-4 times a week in under 20 minutes in addition to sit ups, leg lifts etc.

What else can I do to get my arms to what I want(that picture I posted) ??
Gemini25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Rhazia

Sorry, you were misled. There really is no such thing as "toning," and girls will gain muscle size the same as guys. People with a "toned" appearance are generally people with a low amount of body fat. They didn't get that way by doing "tons of reps with a low weight to pull everything together" or anything. They just have lower fat so you can see the musculature underneath.

You have a fair amount of muscle on your arms. Want to lose it? Stop working your arms out completely. Girls with flabby arms may be skinny but have a high percentage of body fat, and girls with toned arms may be muscular with a low percentage of body fat. The only way to get that toned appearance is losing some weight (fat). You can't spot reduce but losing fat overall would slim your arms down (but also make them more defined).

Quote:
I have seen some girls who are pretty thick around the midsection or in general but have tooth pick arms and legs, what the heck??
This probably has to do with limb length more than anything. Longer arms will appear slimmer than shorter arms with the same girth. It also depends on where that individual stores fat and the distribution of muscle mass.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, I think your arms look fine to me. =)

Last edited by Rhazia : 04-09-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Rhazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhazia View Post
Sorry, you were misled. There really is no such thing as "toning," and girls will gain muscle size the same as guys. People with a "toned" appearance are generally people with a low amount of body fat. They didn't get that way by doing "tons of reps with a low weight to pull everything together" or anything. They just have lower fat so you can see the musculature underneath.

You have a fair amount of muscle on your arms. Want to lose it? Stop working your arms out completely. Girls with flabby arms may be skinny but have a high percentage of body fat, and girls with toned arms may be muscular with a low percentage of body fat. The only way to get that toned appearance is losing some weight (fat). You can't spot reduce but losing fat overall would slim your arms down (but also make them more defined).

This probably has to do with limb length more than anything. Longer arms will appear slimmer than shorter arms with the same girth. It also depends on where that individual stores fat and the distribution of muscle mass.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, I think your arms look fine to me. =)
This ^^^
Although, I can't agree with stopping arm work outs.
The more muscle your arms build the more easier it is for you to
end up seeing results faster. The only reason her arms are still big
is because of the fat around it (Not trying to be rude btw).
I use to be 10% body fat (where you can barely see my abs+,
but I work out with weights so my abs are bulky.
Thus, still showing even if over 10% body fat. (Just the top 2)
If you ignore your muscles you'll end up losing more MUSCLE than FAT.
Ever notice slim girls that still don't have that nice tone shape to them?
Anyways, women will never grow insane huge muscles like men.
Their testosterone levels are way lower than a males.

Summary of this post,
-Fix your diet, you're most likely not getting enough protein to
help maintain/build muscle.
-Stick to the cardio you're doing or step it up a notch.
-Try lifting a bit of weights (Helps burn a good amount of calories AND helps shape your body better). Most women are afraid of weights, but if you just give it a chance
you will get amazing results.

I personally do weights and cardio when cutting down. <3
ANYWAYS, Good Luck.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Rhazia

It was fairly late and I wrote that as a distraction from homework. Thought I'd clear stuff up since it's obvious that I wasn't clear.

Quote:
Although, I can't agree with stopping arm work outs.
The more muscle your arms build the more easier it is for you to
end up seeing results faster. The only reason her arms are still big
is because of the fat around it (Not trying to be rude btw).
She already has more muscle than the woman in her goal picture. I agree that losing fat would be her best option. My point was that working her arms out is not what will slim them down. Guess that wasn't clear.
Quote:
If you ignore your muscles you'll end up losing more MUSCLE than FAT.
Ever notice slim girls that still don't have that nice tone shape to them?
Well, that just isn't true. Your body only really catabolizes muscle if you're deficient in amino acids as it's a terrible energy source. I could get into it if you want but I have a feeling you were just being dramatic. =P

But yeah, the attractive girls definitely are active or strength train.
Quote:
Anyways, women will never grow insane huge muscles like men.
Their testosterone levels are way lower than a males.
Ah, I meant that women's muscles will hypertrophy with strength training in the same manner as a man's would. Yeah, it's on a different scale (depends on hormones and muscle fiber number and type distribution) but they do get bigger.

Also should add that I'm not knocking strength training. Hitting the weights is the #1 way to get the body of a goddess.

Also should add that I'm speaking from my experience as a CPT and health promotion student.

Last edited by Rhazia : 04-10-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Rhazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhazia View Post
It was fairly late and I wrote that as a distraction from homework. Thought I'd clear stuff up since it's obvious that I wasn't clear.

She already has more muscle than the woman in her goal picture. I agree that losing fat would be her best option. My point was that working her arms out is not what will slim them down. Guess that wasn't clear.

Well, that just isn't true. Your body only really catabolizes muscle if you're deficient in amino acids as it's a terrible energy source. I could get into it if you want but I have a feeling you were just being dramatic. =P

But yeah, the attractive girls definitely are active or strength train.

Ah, I meant that women's muscles will hypertrophy with strength training in the same manner as a man's would. Yeah, it's on a different scale (depends on hormones and muscle fiber number and type distribution) but they do get bigger.

Also should add that I'm not knocking strength training. Hitting the weights is the #1 way to get the body of a goddess.

Also should add that I'm speaking from my experience as a CPT and health promotion student.
Oh my bad. I must have misread, but hey it happens.
I kind of misinterpreted what you typed. Sorry.
And I'm always trying my best to not make
things sound complicated to ppl on this forum.
So I tried explaining in an easier form.
Since most ppl in this forum don't understand the majority
of everything we are saying,
and it obviously didn't come out right. :3
BUT I'm sure you know where I'm getting at.
Btw what part was I dramatic?
I didn't mean to if I was. Haha.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)

Last edited by Somsai : 04-10-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

I think a little muscle on a girl is sexy, but I guess if it makes your clothes not fit it is a problem. Do you naturally have that muscle? Maybe you should tone done on how much you work it, or do high reps, low weight for efficiency rather than mass.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Frankly that second picture looks far more attractive then the last one, which gives off a malnourished appearance. Even the first image you post (not of yourself) looks much healthier.To be honest, I think you look beautiful as you are.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
areksu

with your eyes your worried about people staring at your arms? (that was a compliment btw)

what is your overall body fat % if your dont mind me asking?

also, i would highly suggest not ditching weight training.

Metabolism has a direct correlation with muscle mass. The more muscle you have the higher your metabolism.

dont be afraid of weight training, true girls can put on muscle, but not the same way a guy can (size wise). if a girl is as big as a guy its either mostly fat, or steroids. they just dont have the testosterone levels to bulk up.

please dont take this the wrong way either, (I think your arms are fine just addressing your concern) but with your arm in that relaxed state and the way the tight sleeve compresses your arm and then it bulges out after the sleeve, it looks more like fat than muscle. (the angle of the picture doesnt help. if you took a picture like the first reference photo you posted it would be easier to make a better assessment)

thus the reason for asking for your over all body fat%.

if your doing 2 miles in 20 minutes, thats 6 miles per hour. which is good, but 20 minutes isnt long enough for that pace. whats your avg heart rate% while running?

if your really concerned about bulking up, and your really convinced about it, i would suggest maintaining your current arm strength training (not cut out) and increasing intensity or length in your cardio.

Last edited by areksu : 04-10-2012 at 04:33 PM.
areksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
PrissyPro

The only thing that comes to my mind to help slim down your arms would be to lower your weights (I do not know how much you lift, so the lowering off weights is up to you), but increase your reps, and doing some type of upper body yoga or pilates workout.
PrissyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
Gemini25
~Gemini

I'm not really sure what my body fat percentage is, haven't checked but I know it isn't in the high range. My abs are very defined and you can see my entire rib cage.

I run 2 miles in 20 minutes, I don't keep track of my heart rate. Too complicated. I just listen to my music, zone out, and do it on the treadmill. I do this same cardio regiman 3-4 times a week.

Here are some pictures that showcase my arms more, natural poses etc.

And from last night, in semi sleeves etc:

As you can tell from the 2nd picture, I am flexible and I do a lot of contortion training. As for weights, I barely do any. It's 3-8 lbs. And I'm not doing more than 100 arm punches with 3-8lb weights and 100 arm curls with 3 lb weights on each arm weekly. I do not do this daily, this is all I do a week for my arms. Period. So should I just stop doing any weights? I feel like that would be bad because then it would turn to flab, but I don't want them to keep getting bulky, I want to slim them down.

I have lost 11 lbs in the past few weeks and I plan on losing 10 more. I know 110-115 is a realistic weight to get down to for someone of my height (5"3) but I have always had a good amount of muscle mass which has always made me weigh more than I look. I fit into a size 4 now. Even at my smallest when I was 18 and hadn't gotten hips/butt etc, (not to mention I pract starved myself and ate very very little calories, I don't go over 1700 now and aim for the 1500 range) But even then when I was a 2 in most pants and fitting into some 0's, and LOOKED 90 lbs I actually weighed around 123-125.

Last edited by Gemini25 : 04-10-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
PrissyPro

http://blogilates.com/arms-upper-body is a good place to get upper body workouts. Probably do them 3 times a week. Oh no you should not stop doing weights. 3-8 pounds is just fine, but I would do a variety of things with the weights. The body gets use to exercises over a period of time. Thats why I constantly change up what workout or fitness tape I do.
PrissyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Gemini25
~Gemini

Hm okay. Thanks! Seems like a good site.