Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 169 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #6361
Prissi
tsukini kawatte oshiokiyo

Steffi: it's super heavy and that's what scares the crap out of me! I haven't dared to start with my actual fabric yet especially since I still haven't figured out the pleating... Someone at JoAnn's recommended a petticoat made of crinoline actually to puff the skirts out. Did you put horsehair braid in the hems?
Prissi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #6362
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

SORRY THE PICTURES ARE SO BIG...not sure how to make them smaller here on the forums..!

ok you guys. I am remaking my Neo Queen Serenity gown and wig for ACEN!! I am getting close...I am about 70% done. I just finished the bodice and put it and the bottom of the dress on my dressform to see how it was looking and I HAD to share. I am basing it off of this image:
http://mangastyle.net/book2/2-18-19.jpg

Sooooo....it is a bit more fitted then her normal manga version dress.....but I LOVE the way it looks! super classy IMO.

I just have to add the chiffon over layer, make the sleeves, and then the HUGE back bow. and finish up some details on the wig....

SO EXCITED!

here are some pictures~!

LOL you can see my dachshund in her pile of blankets...
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #6363
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Wow! That looks gorgeous Biscuit!

Steffi, congrats on the progress. I can't wait to see it<3

Anyway guys I uploaded SOME pics (waiting from my friend who snapped photos of me at con for great pictures) of Super Sailor Moon. :3 Sadly, part way through the day I lost my bottom "brooch", but luckily I have a couple more, so it's an easy fix! :3 I didn't bother with the bust armour at con and I plan to order a new leotard before the summer and add on the bust armour. :3

I wish I had gotten pics with Sui, the shoot was overwhelming! So I went and sat down for a while. ^.^' Diegator, please pm me the photos you took of us together! I would love to see.

Oh, I also have some pics up of Small Lady, I am still looking for more. There were a TON OF Serenity's this year at con. :3 It was neat. I'll probably add another layer of chiffon for Small Lady, but a lot of people took my photos and I had fun being her. My costume was actually warm! The weather in Seattle was beautiful too! <3

Anyway, my next Sailor Moon costumes shall be:
Sailor Venus (Since I have the perfect shoes, have a wig, and well... why not?)
Sailor Mars (Possibly a commission)
Princess Serenity. :3

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #6364
mirrorsaber
in unknown territory

Edit-Nevermind.

next costume- Just repairing/making new stuff I never tried as of now.

Last edited by mirrorsaber : 04-11-2012 at 06:29 PM.
mirrorsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #6365
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

rawr... I'm pondering if I hike up the pigtails on my wig or not.. I dunno if the odangos will look to be the right height or not... argh...so many questions...

atleast all there's left to do on my dress is to sew the bow =3
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #6366
Funhouse
icon by riku sora chan

Sorry to be a bother as I'm Sure this has been asked billions and billions of times And the search function isn't working all that well on this phone but...

Jupiter's boots, where would be a good place to order them? I don't feel confident enough to sew boot covers or paint shoes so I feel like I have to order them. T_T
I've heard mixed reviews about Catzias shoes. /:

Could be attending Phoenix Comic Con
Aboslutely going to San Diego Comic Con
Maybe Anime Vegas?
Sailor Jupiter, Alice, maybe steampunk?
Funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #6367
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissi View Post
Steffi: it's super heavy and that's what scares the crap out of me! I haven't dared to start with my actual fabric yet especially since I still haven't figured out the pleating... Someone at JoAnn's recommended a petticoat made of crinoline actually to puff the skirts out. Did you put horsehair braid in the hems?
I knew that the Myu skirts had horsehair braid in the hem but the sequin trim I used made it wavy by itself anyway. But also by the way I pleated it. How comes you asked?
I looked up a tutorial and it seems pretty simple enough to stitch in horsehair braid, but since I've stitched it all on now, I'm not taking it all off, especially since it looks okay (as long as it's not flat, eh?) But I'll remember that for the next time I make a Myu outfit!

For figuring out the right pleating, measure out the length at the waist of one "part" or "circle of the skirt" and then figure out how many pleats you want in the front, and the back, then you have to account for the space in between the pleats to allow the pleat to "happen".
For example, the pattern of my skirt was only a 1/4 of the skirt which you had to place on a fold to make it "half a skirt". The length at the waist for a 1/4 of the skirt was 23cm, I figured I wanted 4 pleats in each 1/4 of the skirt - I wanted these pleats to be about 5cm each.

So 5x4= 20. The remaining 3cm was split into two, 1.5cm went towards seam allowance and the other 1.5cm was used for pinching the fabric in the middle (as I didn't want a "centre pleat"). Now the space in the pleats have be accounted for, which means yes, you're going to have to increase the size of your pattern which means using more fabric! So I wanted the space in between the pleats (folding part) to be about 3.3cm and since there's 4 pleats, spaces between them equal to three. So 3x3.3 = 9.9cm So about 10cm. So overall I had to extend the waist length of the skirt from 23cm to 33cm with a difference of 10cm.

Before doing this to your fabric, practice pleating with different measurements on a piece of paper, it certainly helped me! I also had a normal skirt in my wardrobe that has "half-pleats" on it with the measurements I wanted, so I sort of based them off that... So using normal casual clothing that you have also helps!

Of course, it's up to how big you want the pleats and the folds to be. This is just how I figured it out without using too much fabric!

--------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the recommendation on the sort of petticoat I should be using, as I'm not keen on using my hoop skirt (spreads the skirt out a bit too, much, it just needs a tad, oomph, but when I've finished stitching it, I'll let you guys help me judge on what I should use!)

--------------------------------------------------------

Biscuit, that's fantastic! What base wig did you use as I'm planning on making my own Myu wig for Eternal Moon and was thinking of ordering he Chibi wig from Arda Wigs as my base. Yours looks full and gorgeous - the style I want!
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

Last edited by x-Steffi-x : 04-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.
x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #6368
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post

Biscuit, that's fantastic! What base wig did you use as I'm planning on making my own Myu wig for Eternal Moon and was thinking of ordering he Chibi wig from Arda Wigs as my base. Yours looks full and gorgeous - the style I want!

I actually used the chibi wig from arda! I highly recommend it~! it is nice ^_^

thank you~!
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #6369
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I actually used the chibi wig from arda! I highly recommend it~! it is nice ^_^

thank you~!
You're welcome.

Did you make the buns yourself? :3

Unread 04-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #6370
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

Quote:
You're welcome.

Did you make the buns yourself? :3
I bought the pre-made buns from arda ^_^
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #6371
Prissi
tsukini kawatte oshiokiyo

Steffi, thanks! I'm asking 'cause I'm terrified that the skirts will turn out flat and I'm not sure what to do at this point... I've kind of stopped working on it for the last 2 weeks out of fear and I've been reading reading reading and trying to figure out what to do I did some test pleats on some cheap muslin I bought, but they didn't turn out "right" so I'm still trying to work that out. Thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to use horsehair braid but no trim since I can't find any that makes me happy in the right colors. Eh, I know it's less accurate, but I'll take it.

Biscuit: Your wig and dress look amazing.
Prissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #6372
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

Biscuit, if you don't mind, can you explain me how you are doing your wig? I bought the exact same thing you have (plus the clip on pigtails). If you don't mind that is
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #6373
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

@Prissi: You're welcome! To prevent it from going flat you just need to do many pleats/large gathers to make it all ruffly! A circle skirt in general, because of it's full-ness will automatically give you a desired shape. But if you want "set" gathers, pleat them in place and stitch.
What version of Eternal Moon are you doing? Anime? Manga? Musicals?

Oookay, so I finally stitched the skirt onto the leotard pants and took a picture. However, the picture REALLY didn't do the skirt any justice, I tried to do an angle where my face would be hidden as I look ugly without make-up on :P
I'm not just saying it either, the skirt REALLY does look more fuller, and ruffly outside the photo, it'll look so much more better when I stitch it to the leotard, but I thought I'd give y'all a sneak peak of it! I liked wearing it, it's so flowy! Also I'd like to note that the camera angle makes my skirt look very long, and it isn't as long as the photo portrays it to be.

I also tried putting a hoop skirt underneath, and quite frankly, it looks better without anything underneath it.
I had to pin the skirt to my jumper, in three areas, and it didn't put much pressure on my jumper, so I'll assume it won't stretch out or put any pressure on the leotard (good thing, as that was one of my worries).
Tell me what you think, I'll post another picture tomorrow if I get it done! Be honest, I'm open to constructive criticism.

Unread 04-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #6374
MinaUchiha2
Cosplay not in a can

It looks cute so far!

Realized I don't think I ever posted the pictures of my Kinmoku Serenity cosplay I did a couple weeks back... here are a few:
http://missmina2.deviantart.com/art/...hers-289170732
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...35 1580_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...613509 _n.jpg

I really can't remember if I posted any pics or not. XD

2014 Cosplays for Ichibancon/Triadanimecon/Nashicon/Animazement:
Eternal Sailor Moon & Fruits Usagi, Sailor Moon.
Upgraded Magical Girl Mami, Madoka Magica.
School & SAO Asuna, Sword Art Online.
Code Black in Ashford C.C., Code Geass.
Mimori & Takamina, AKB0048.
Ballgown!TARDIS, Doctor Who.
And lots of Lolita.
MinaUchiha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #6375
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Tell me what you think, I'll post another picture tomorrow if I get it done! Be honest, I'm open to constructive criticism.
Firstly, I can't believe that you are ugly without makeup.
Myu skirt progress - In the photo the shape looks a bit flat to me. I like to see Myu skirts with more fullness, more poofy. As you say the hoop idea didnt work. Have you tried making a full net under skirt? It would take quite a few yards of gathered net..similar to a ballet tutu..it would give support and poofiness and be lightweight. Real easy to make too.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote