Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #481
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

Pahahahaha he is! I almost didn't even notice him in the second photo. I love the tiger plush being impailed on your helmet, lol. XD I think my favorite is the one of Rock Bison stopping Kotetsu and Barnaby from hitting each other. And the one with Kotetsu wearing bunny ears on Rock Bison's helmet (the pose makes it). The picture where you're saluting crystalamaris shows of your jetpack nicely! Lookit that sucker!

Hahaha these are a lot of fun. Looks like it was a good time!
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #482
OldestAngel

xD T&B photoshoots seem to be a lot of fun. I got roped into a hero suit group for next year as well, so that will be fun. :-0 Though that means Mr. Legend won't happen until I'm done with Sky High.

I'm looking forward to your Lunatic, Andrea~ His costume is pretty intense. It's like a hero suit, but more flamable. xD; T&B is just so amazing that it leads to remembering people?

@Kuroi Yokan: I really like that photo too~ somehow the proportions worked out really nicely with Rock Bison, even though I made the helmet purposely large, it isn't as apparent as with Sky High.

woo~ talking about all the hero suits. Managed to get my friend into T&B. Now to try and get her to cosplay from it~

Last edited by OldestAngel : 04-13-2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: whoopsadoodle
OldestAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #483
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

Oh HECK yes T&B photoshoots are fun. Right up there with Ace Attorney shoots, which were previously the most fun I'd had at cons. XD Everyone in both cases is so willing to get silly... =)

...Given a timeframe, I'm really tempted to see if I can swing a trip out that way whenever you do Legend. Because darnit, I want to take pics with Mr. Legend. Especially once I finish kid!Kotetsu. (Just need the mint-green hoodie and the red high-top sneakers! I actually dreamed a couple nights ago that I found red high-tops on clearance for $10, and was so thrilled...)

Seems like officially Lunatic's outfit IS called his "hero suit" in the artbooks and stuff... even though he's not exactly a hero. XD So it's sort of difficult to know what to call it. Vigilante suit? Anti-hero suit? ....Now that I think about it, yeah, I'm gonna go with anti-hero suit.

Speaking of... finished painting the mask, though I still need to put in the eye-pieces (and see if I can see through them, or if I'll need to use a different method - and I'm tempted to put LEDs behind them so I can make them light up for photos, though then I *definitely* wouldn't be able to see, given the method I'm going to try). Also started piecing together the hood, which just needs a little more fitting, then I can attach it to the black spandex on the neck of the shirt: http://www.dorkariffic.net/cosplay/t...unaticmask.jpg

Posted it on Facebook, and my relatives all seem extremely creeped out, so I think this is a good sign.
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #484
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

@Andrea: Your mask is looking great! Regarding being able to see, what if you took the black areas under the eyes, cut them out completely, and when you put in the eyes, replace the area under the eye with a see-through black fabric? Would that work with what you're planning on doing? Just a thought. I'm going to do that sort of thing with my helmet's eyes.

---

Can I get people's opinions on this? TAT

Argh, so I realized that I need to have my EL wire sooner rather than later. I need it before I can get much further on my thigh armor, so now I'm trying to figure out what exactly I should get. It seems like EL wire comes in either an orange-red or a magenta pink (too much on the purple side). It's hard to even pinpoint what color the glow lines actually are, too - in some pictures it looks like a hot pink, but in others it looks almost like a powder pink, like his shoulders.

Refs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rnabyfull1.jpg (top left)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...f/glowref1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...f/glowref3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rosuitglow.jpg

The closest color I've found so far is the hot pink on this site. I'm not sure if I should get that, or if I should try getting white EL wire and like, painting my own color on?? I can't guarantee that will turn out any better, so I'm not sure what I should do.

Facebook || Tumblr
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #485
chibi_flora

@Kuroi Yokan: As a caveat, I haven't worked with EL wire, so I don't really know much about it, but I'm wondering what you're planning on painting it with, if you do get white, since so much paint is opaque.

@Andrea: I'm really curious to see how the LEDs will work if you do them. It turns out I can't really see (well, see even less) with the glowpaint method, since it all ends up too bright. Let's be creepy together! XD (I've been calling it a Hero Suit for a while now...)

And since everyone seems to be posting progress in this thread, I might as well add mine (Now with more pockets to keep all of my subpoenas!): Let's see if I can figure out linking stuff...
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #486
OldestAngel

@Andrea: That would be amazing. I'd be fist bumping all the Kotetsu's. x'D I really need to do this, but I should probably finish Sky High (again) first. Also, who needs to see? Vision isn't important. (it's really important). Maybe if you ran the LED's around the eyes and had something to block it from directly affecting your eyes?

@Kuroi Yokan: That's tough - I know for colored lightbulbs that they color the glass itself, so depending on the material you're using for the transparent sections (though it doesn't work as well for the sections that aren't under those), you could use a sort of alcohol ink to stain them the appropriate shade? Though I wonder if staining the outside of the wire would work as well...

@Chibi flora: That's an awesome Lunatic~
Unread 04-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #487
Mersaydee

Oh LOL, yep! That's me as Kriem, up to villainous shenanigans in the midst of all those Wild Tigers (one of which is my husband). I was so glad to make the photo shoot, everyone's costumes looked amazing (especially the Sky High/Rock Bison hero suits - Oldest Angel, you outdid yourself!). I only wish my voice hadn't been gone for it, the sound I was making was mostly squeaking, since I'm getting over a cold!
Mersaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #488
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

@chibi_flora: To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I would paint it with. D: The only paint I know of that isn't opaque is glass paint, but I bet that would crack if on too flexible of a surface (I'd be bending the wire a lot). I was also thinking of putting white EL wire under a layer of thin plastic sheeting (painted), but again, not sure how it would really look.

Your Lunatic flame hand looks really badass!! I love that! Everythinng else looks great too. Nice work!

@OldestAngel: Staining sounds like it could be a good option! I'll try to find out what kind of stain is used for that sort of thing. If I decide to put the wire under a layer of thin plastic, I should be able to paint the plastic without any problems. I happen to have some cherry-red glass paint left over from another project. I could paint some plastic and see how it looks directly over a white light and see if it looks right. If not, I might look into staining the wire tubing.

I am so excited that you are eventually going to make Legend, haha. And if you are planning to do more work on Sky High, then that must mean you aren't done with this thread yet, woohoo! XD

Mersaydee: You looked great as Kriem! Simply devious, haha. I loved how everyone was posed behind you in that picture Oldest posted, too.

Facebook || Tumblr

Last edited by Starlit Rose : 04-13-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #489
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

Kuroi Yokan: I definitely think his lights (at least the lines - the round lights are more obviously pink) are supposed to just be lit-up red, but the pink on that site actually does wind up looking fairly close, at least in pictures... However, I was thinking approximately the same thing as OldestAngel for when I start making my hero suits - color whatever surface is going over the lights. That has the added benefit of making the lines the right color when the lights aren't on, too. One thing you might look into is colored cellophane - I know some brand of plastic wrap makes decorative colored plastic wrap, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it in red. It could be layered under something more solid but clear without any concern of the color being streaky or uneven, and would largely be transparent, without much loss of the brightness of the wire underneath.

Regarding my mask and its eyes, the "cut out the black parts, replace with see-through black" was one of the things I considered at first, since that's how I could see exceptionally well while inside Venat. But then I used a variation of this last year for Cait Sith, and although it was not as successful simply because the opening was more obvious and the entire thing was white, I could still see pretty well without people seeing me. It's all about it being darker inside than outside - if you've ever tried to look into a building with lights off through a window on a sunny day, or out into a dark night with all the lights on in the room you're in, you know what I mean. (Cait Sith, being white, let far more light in than Venat. I was snapping pics from inside Venat without people seeing me as long as I didn't use flash, hahaha.)

tl;dr: I'm going to try covering the eye pieces with translucent white fabric and paint the pupils over that, and see how well that works. I suspect in a mask that is largely opaque, with only two very small light-hued openings to let in light, it'll be good enough to not let people see what's inside very easily. If that doesn't work, I may wind up painting the eyes opaque and doing the see-through black parts instead.

OldestAngel: The above would pretty much be why I wouldn't be able to see with the LEDs on inside the mask - even though they wouldn't be directly in my line of sight (I was thinking between the eyes, light directed outward and forward), they'd be shining on the white and making it brighter inside than outside the mask (though hopefully not bright enough on my actual face to make me visible). Which is why they'd only be on for pictures.

chibi_flora: I've already commented on your Lunatic, of course - and I'm still vaguely tempted to make that Tumblr. (Like I said before, I'm going to be SUCH a Lunatroll. XD) I am all for being creepy together! Though I had kind of shied away from thinking of bringing Lunatic to cons you'd be at too, because, well, already an awesome Lunatic coming, you know? XD Also... not sure I want to wear that many layers at Otakon. Swimsuit!Kotetsu or bandaged!Kotetsu is probably more comfortable...

...Speaking of bandaged!Kotetsu, I just got stuff so I can quickly make a particularly silly prop to SAFELY carry around with me if I do that for awhile at Otakon. Which I totally will if it's as hot as last year, because I wanted to wear as little as possible. :P
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #490
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

Thanks Andrea! The more I think about it, the more it would make sense to have a clear, colored layer of plastic on top of the EL wire. Like you said, when it's off, it'll still be colored, which is definitely what I want. I was originally only thinking of putting in the wire by itself, rather than adding a clear layer over it. orz The pre-colored EL wire is still red when it's off, but it would look obviously like a WIRE, whereas the parts on the suit are wide, like tape. So that is really starting to sound like a much better idea. Colored cellophane would be a great idea! I've seen the colored wrap you're talking about, and if I rememebr correctly, the red was actually perfect. I haven't seen it in a long time though. I wonder if they still sell it. Also, I just went to Replica Prop Forum and someone mentioned looking for clear colored folders, haha. Very nice ideas!

So glad I didn't panic buy the hot pink EL wire impulsively! XD Thanks for giving me a better game plan!! <3 you guiz

I see your dilemma about the eyes. Keeping the LEDs from lighting up your face at the same time really makes things tricky, but if you can make the white part effectively see-through without being seen, then that would definitely give you the most vision (and that's a good thing)! Hopefully you can figure out a good way! If not, the black fabric placement will work just as nicely; just won't be as easy to see. In addition to the black concealing you inside more, the black fabric also has the advantage of not being able to reflect light that will show the fabric's texture. With the white it'll probably be a little more obvious that it's fabric (even if people can't see you inside), but with the black it would be harder to tell that it was fabric rather than a solid part of the mask, so that's good too. Either way, one method or the other will work! I'm lol-ing that you took pictures of people inside your Venat costume. That is seriously too funny.

lmfao a "texts from Lunatic" Tumblr would be SO perfect! Please do it, oh my goodness. XD Pleeeeaaaaaaase

Thanks everyone for your help!! I'm so glad I asked!

Facebook || Tumblr

Last edited by Starlit Rose : 04-13-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #491
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

"news saying stay inside, manhunt underway for esc. murderer. np, already found him. "
"mav- sry, can't do dinner. have to go home & let mom throw things at me. maybe tues?"

....ANYWAY.

Clear plastic folders... that's a great idea. I was thinking I know I've seen thicker colored plastic before, but had no idea where to find it outside of old-style 3D glasses. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind.

Stuck at work for a couple hours, but hoping I'll be able to give the eyes a try over the weekend... as well as starting to assemble the bowgun. The base pieces are done now, I just need to start putting them together and adding detail/paint job. Hitting a hardware store on the way home in hopes of finding some little pieces of metal that will allow the blade under the actual bow to retract - I've seen the things I need, but have no clue what they're called. And I had a couple ideas this morning about how to "set fire" to the tip of the bolt, but sadly don't think I have enough time to do it the really cool way. Maybe before Youma, but not before ACen. I get the feeling I'm probably going to essentially remake the whole thing over the summer...
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #492
OldestAngel

xD I won't disappear from this thread quite yet. @_@ I've just got to figure out when I can wear Legend. I should probably just go to more conventions.

The cellophane idea sounds amazing~ I wonder if you guys would have any suggestions for how I should make Sky High's helmet so I can see though? I was thinking something like tinted glass/plastic, but I'm not sure how that would work with the rest of the helmet, or how expensive that would end up getting... multiple people have suggested mesh, but I'm not sure how that would work out appearance wise.

@Mersaydee: You make an amazing Kriem. And thank you for the compliment~ If you're able to, you should join us again next year, since apparently we're going to have all the heroes in their suits. @-@
Unread 04-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #493
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

@Andrea: LOL Yessssssssssss hahaha

So are you going to try and get the bow to retract before ACen? Ambitious!

@OldestAngel: Man, Sky High's helmet looks hard to make visible through. Hmm. (How the HELL does he see?!) The front is all metal, with those gold horizontal lines that are a bit raised, which, you can't very well use mesh for those in that case! The best thing I can think of is to either put some kind of grey/silver fabric between the gold horizontal lines (it will probably be obvious, since I imagine the fabric would be hard to match with the silver paint), or maybe cut a long horizontal line along the bottom of the part that kind of sticks out in the front? You'd probably have to look down to see out of it, but it might be a less-obvious location for a hole? I dunno, that's really tough. ;_; His helmet is totally solid all over.

--

I did some shopping around yesterday for red folders/saran wrap/cellophane. Saw some folders but they were too dark and opaque. They don't appear to make that colored saran wrap anymore (or maybe it's a Christmas thing?), so that was a no-go too. I DID, however, find some clear red party treat bags that are transparent enough! I think they will be a good color match to my paint, so hooray! And they were only $1.00!

All right, time to get to work!

Facebook || Tumblr
Unread 04-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #494
OldestAngel

I think he sees using technology, so cameras? Maybe that's the actual function of his LED's, instead of being visible in the skies at night. I actually omitted some details from my helmet, so there are some dark lines in about the eye area for him, so my original plan was to cut out the dark part and continue the dark line for the rest of the helmet, but I'm not sure how visible that would be. xD; Experimentation time~

AND YAY! $1 clear red plastic is the best.
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #495
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

...Why can't I post in this thread? Let's see if I can post a really short reply...

Okay, let's try content.

I don't have my references with me at work, so I dunno about the design of Sky High's helmet, but one possibility - screen door material. Comes in silvery-dark-grey, so something like that might be helpful? Or if you want to get really fancy, do it the possibly-authentic way and get one of these! http://www.amazon.com/Brinno-PHV1325.../dp/B002QGU8D0 XD

I think I've seen people just use some kind of dark mesh between the gold bars, if I remember right...

Speaking of visibility - my experiment with Lunatic's mask worked! I could see well enough to read people's updates on Facebook, if not so much type with the whole costume on - I couldn't feel the keyboard with the gloves on. But two layers of chiffon over a layer of clear plastic gives me approximately the same visibility as I had in my Tonberry Princess costume, where I literally had a yellow spandex blindfold on and was walking around an unfamiliar hotel without any assistance. XD I think it wouldn't have been enough opacity to block out my eyes, except that the plastic behind the chiffon reflects back at the viewer.

So. Aside from tweaking a couple things here and there, base costume is done! And I am ready to be a troll. XD (This is what you get when you put an enthusiastic Kotetsu cosplayer in a Lunatic costume...) Seriously, I'm going to be walking around with Barnaby at ACen... the canon troll and the fanon troll. Which means we should probably photobomb a Homestuck shoot or something.