Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #601
TheApostleJudas

There may already be someone who has asked this, but again, I can't go through 40 pages of stuff when I have class in 30 min. XD I am doing my first-yes, I am popping my cosplay cherry!-cosplay. I've chosen Undertaker from Black Butler. Picture here:

http://images.wikia.com/phantomhive/...60-516-450.jpg

Now it's coming out beautifully, I only have to make the hat now, finished with everything else. I have a fantastic wig, not a cheapo one. It is here:

http://cosplaywigsusa.com/cosplay-wi...-black-butler/

Now obviously the bangs are not styled automatically. The braids are done, but not the flippy out bangs lol. I have never worked with wigs before, but after reading a few pages of this thread I have basically figured out-no gel, no straighteners. What can I use? Somehow it doesn't seem like hairspray would do the job properly. And if it did, seems like it would have to be all sticky and stiff with the amount I'd have to use. I'll be putting the hat on top of it as well, for the bangs to sort of poof out underneath the hat.

Any help for a newbie would be lovely.
TheApostleJudas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #602
rchcc122
Rumbly in my tumbly....

I recently purchased a wig for America from Hetalia, it was cheap and it's beautiful but it's unstyled (of course, not a surprise at all since I bought it knowing it was unstyled).

America has this little cowlick thingy ( http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O8efnVrje1...-1280-1024.jpg ) and though I could have bought it styled and bypassed all of this hassle, one of my biggest troubles is that I found a lot of the cowlicks to be too big for my taste >< I would like to make it a bit smaller.

So, knowing this, what do you think is the best method? Would hair glue work fine or should I go for the wire technique?

Thank you!

By the way, this is the wig on me-> http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a.../snapshot3.jpg (I haven't done any styling yet)

Potential Conventions:
Anime-Expo (Lirin, Elsa, Shego)

Follow me on Instagram.
rchcc122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #603
xskyskipper

I've got a question, I got a light pink tutu-ish wig, and there wasn't enough hair to spike it, so I made a seperate weft from a old wig(and dyed it to match), but I have no clue on how to get it to stand up as straight as here does in the anime?
Any tips?
xskyskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #604
DeAnna Designs
Gypsy Dream Studios

To answer some curling questions....yes, you must dye it first because dying it is wet and styling it requires it to dry in curlers. The easiest way to get a synthetic wig to be curly is to buy a curly synthetic wig. Remember, synthetic wigs are basically like plastic. Little bitty plastic strings of hair. To get them to curl and hold the curl requires heat and water....steam is best. You can set the wig in curlers and then use a high steam setting on the iron to steam it. DONT TOUCH THE WIG WITH THE IRON! Just push the steam button a lot. Or you can use a travel steamer--much easier. Once the curl is in it is basically melted in and will hold for a long time. If you are using a human or yak hair wig then you can wet set it with curlers or use the curling iron but you better be sure its natural. Any names like Acrylon or Yaky...anything ending in "lon" is probably synthetic and will probably melt if you try to use a curling iron. Natural fiber wigs will lose their curl just like your hair does...in time and with humidity.

That's my 2 cents.
I am a professional costume designer so your project will be completed with the best details and materials possible for your budget. You will feel all powerful and fabulous wearing a Gypsy Dream Studios costume. It will fit you and be comfortable. Please check out some other costumes I've made here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1023768600595.2004201.1416633832&type=1&l=b b156d1e1b

Thanks!
DeAnna
www.gypsydreamstudios.com
http://gypsydreamstudios.etsy.com
DeAnna Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #605
redsheep

I've somehow managed to straighten a K-Mart (not even Party City) with a flat iron. I felt like a god.

Last edited by redsheep : 02-14-2012 at 04:55 PM.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #606
LycacthropesUN
Enemy of Thy Enemy

I'm planning a Len Kagamine cosplay and have not yet tackled the hair/wig issue. It is a very daunting task (first homemade cosplay^^; ) for me and I don't even know where to begin.
I found a picture on google that I really liked:
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...y_o_Rike_o.jpg
I really really like the Len wig in that picture! Any tips for me? Should I look for a pre-styled one or get a light blonde wig and style it myself even though I've never done it before?

AnimeNEXT:
Len Kagamine:Materials ready.

Last edited by LycacthropesUN : 04-03-2012 at 04:50 PM.
LycacthropesUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #607
pinkstar5

i can use just a plain old brush or comb for my wig right? i know it's not human hair but all in all doesn't brushing it work the same? (i'm asking this cuz the videos i have seen say wig comb and it confuzzles me...=\)
ciel in wonderland
[black butler]
kida masaomi
[durarara]
derpy hooves
[mlp fim]
Luka little red riding hood
[VOCALOID]
pinkstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #608
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkstar5 View Post
i can use just a plain old brush or comb for my wig right? i know it's not human hair but all in all doesn't brushing it work the same? (i'm asking this cuz the videos i have seen say wig comb and it confuzzles me...=\)
No you cannot. You can use a plain wide tooth comb on a wig, but never a brush.

When you brush your own hair, you eventually end up with a brush full of hair right? You want to avoid this with a wig, since wig hair obviously cannot grow back.
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #609
pinkstar5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiseiseki0284 View Post
No you cannot. You can use a plain wide tooth comb on a wig, but never a brush.

When you brush your own hair, you eventually end up with a brush full of hair right? You want to avoid this with a wig, since wig hair obviously cannot grow back.
thank you so much!
ciel in wonderland
[black butler]
kida masaomi
[durarara]
derpy hooves
[mlp fim]
Luka little red riding hood
[VOCALOID]
pinkstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #610
jaguarlineman
Anime Fan Incognito

So, I just watched Team Starkid's new musical Holy Musical B@man and have decided now on my costume for Halloween this year. I am going to be the villain Sweet Tooth. However, I have one very tough problem to solve with this costume: THE WIG. It looks like cotton candy, but I am not sure how to obtain this texture. If anyone could help, that would be great!

Another pic:
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2...46co3_1280.png
jaguarlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #611
Dawnpaw

Quote:
Can't I just use my own hair? How do I dye it just for the weekend?

You don't. I'm not saying you can't use your own hair and that you cannot dye it, but you cannot dye it pink for the weekend and have your hair return to your natural color by Monday. Dye doesn't work like that. And the "temporary" dye won't wash out for a month or more. And the hairsrapy Halloween stuff 1) looks terrible 2) is horrible to use 3) does not coat evenly 4) rubs off on your clothes 5) stains your clothes and 6) interferes with your style if you are trying to coat all of your hair.
Provided by D001
I had got my hair spray colored for graduation and it came out in a week without even washing it. I'm sorry I can't remember what brand it was but it was a spray you can get at a bueaty store but i suggest you ask a hairdresser for the best brand. though
Dawnpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #612
DemonGodLoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by london2191 View Post
There are also some trust worthy wig sellers off of ebay and possibly some in said searcher's area. You might also want to put that some of the questions are usually directed from newbs and that some of the answers are not complete absolutes.

Can I bleach my hair? (along those lines)

Probably not a good idea as it's practically killing your hair. And if your hair's dark, it'll probably turn orange. Not very attractive.

This is kinda more in depth but along the lines of dying: sharpie dying *when attempted* doesn't work on all wigs. Remember that wigs are made of different fibers and react differently.
It is killing your hair hence it takes so long also you need to leave conditioner in there for like hours afterwards and I mean the heavy duty stuff. Btw you skip that Nasty orange color by using a violet base instead of a blue.
DemonGodLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #613
BelleBottom

Beginner Needs HEEEEELP

Okay. So I'm new to this whole Cosplay stuff.
My little sister dragged me to an Anime Converntion last year and I actually really enjoyed it.
This year I want to cosplay along with her.

However, the character I want to do has this funky hair and I can't even begin to imagen how I would go about this...
http://www.pocketmonsters.net/images...0179066003.jpg
Y'all are gonna roll your eyes cuz it's super cheesy and basic but I really want to do a couple's cosplay with my BF.
And we want to be Pokemon Rangers.
SOO!!!
I have to figure out how to style a wig to look like this girly's hair!!!
I haven't bought it yet, and am in the beginning process of figuring out the costume.
I want to know if the hair is do-able - by a low level n00b such as myself- before I even begin on the clothes!!!

I may or may not be on here again anytime soon, so if anyone really wants to help me I would love an email!

daddies_grl_4ever@yahoo.com

I would really appreciate any and all the help I can get!!!
BelleBottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #614
junesdisco

Hi, I'm completely new to stuff! I hope this is in the right place.

So today I bought a super-cheap white wig to dye (I'm kind of low on funds and my outfit is supposed to be a character's disguise anyway so it looking like a cheap wig and not like real hair is kind of intended). I also need to have a bunch of sticks coming out of it in various directions.

So my question is, if I superglue or hot glue the sticks to the wig's meshing, will they stay put?
junesdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #615
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Hey, I was just wondering, can anyone give me a little advice in how to cut sides wept bangs? I'm trying to style my Meiko wig, and I understand how to cut regular bangs, I'm just a little confused on cutting side swept bangs. Thanks

Reference:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._cfm_Meiko.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-h353xveW3P...0303_meiko.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Wo1nu_j_0E.../conchita2.jpg
Mami Tomoe (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)- planning stages
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote