Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.86 average.
Unread 04-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #991
errido
Milzarr

I'm so bad at it they think I'm just being a weird girl with short hair

Cosplay plans:

Nikon D7000+35mm F/1.8
errido is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #992
mylove
hipster princess tavros

My mom dont rly give a fuq. I'm 19 with my own job+money n i do what i want.

8^Y
mylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #993
Peaches-N-Cream

My Mom thinks im alil weird, however i have grown to be a tomboy since i was younger, so its habbit, and i dont like having long hair alot, gets knotted and tangled and LICE, yeah so i rather have short hair.

ive been crossplaying as a boy for a year or under but im finally debuting it for the first time at a con.
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #994
MagicalStar
Just a tiny magical star

Nyeh. I only told them, with very vague details, that I'm going to be crossplaying. They react much better than I expected, seeing how they came from a country and area where this sort of thing pretty much means your whole existence is sin xD. They just seem to think it's a really weird thing to do, but let me do what I want anyway, as long as I keep my grades up so... :v.
MagicalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #995
Naolyk

"Cosplay" to my family is unusual, so the concept of "crossplay" is even harder on them. Even though I've been cosplaying for around 3 years, my family does not know it as "crossplay" but simply as me dressing up as a guy. They have questioned me sometimes on why I pick character that are male and aren't female. And I simply tell them that I am uncomfortable with the girl's outfit or cosplaying as a girl. At some point before, my family and I did have a fights on it, but they're slowy growing indifferent on the whole subject. <unless it goes to the fact that I bind my chest/ or try to look like a guy even when i'm not cosplaying>. Sometimes they're indifferent and at times they're anti-crossplay. o___o

As for my friends, they're all supportive. They don't care much to whether I choose to cosplay as male or female. They say, "I am who I am, whether I look like a guy or girl." I really am happy for my friend's support.
Unread 04-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #996
singleperfectio
Hey its me!

well, My parents have always refered to me as the "little boy they always wanted". (I'm a chick btw)

but they just kinda shrug and let me do what I want. yay being an adult!
singleperfectio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #997
TheAnniBanana
Anni - Sexy Banana Robot

My parents are very very conservative so I never tell them when I'm crossplaying that the character is a male.

I also try to choose adrogynous looking males so they never catch on. =3
TheAnniBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #998
KnightJeran
Calling Major Tom

They don't quite mind it. I'm not all "I'm dressing as a guy!!!" but they see pictures of me, and when my friend and I cosplay, I'm more than 70% a guy.

My parents have asked me "Why are you always the guy?" and "are you trying to tell us something?" but don't press on further when I say "no."

I rationalize it to them as "I only want to cosplay my favorite characters, and they tend to be guys!"

2013: Dean Winchester/Castiel/Sherlock/Kitty Riley/Rainbow Dash/Spike/Timmy Turner/Canada/Fai/Kraehe

My Cosplays +++ My Cosplay DeviantArt +++ My Art DeviantArt +++ My Marketplace Ads
KnightJeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #999
usuyukisou

I haven't *quite* done much of crossplaying, barring the crossdressing Ciel Phantomhive. I am interested in a little bit of crossplaying, but mostly so that I can "be" an ensemble of characters and have all the various "me's" Photoshopped together a la theatrical posters.

I think my parents mostly just think cosplaying is a ridiculously expensive phase that I'll get over when something shiny comes out next month. As long as I budget my allowance and don't beg them for more money, they ignore it. Crossplay is no different.

But then, the guys I'm interested in portraying are usually young and/or pretty faced, with androgynous outfits (or crossdressers, *coughVenomania!Kaitocough*). They are also absolutely sure I don't have gender identity issues (ahaha, my regular wardrobe and makeup collection is proof) and will swear upon the Bible that my true love is the very male Mark Harmon. I suppose the fact that they don't have doubts in those areas help.

I have another friend who is much the same way. She is averse to the ditzy damsel in distress type of female character that is so common, so she is naturally inclined to crossplay. Her parents aren't very concerned either.
usuyukisou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #1000
Aarri2129

My mom supports it...to some extent. She doesn't appreciate the monetary side of it, especially with many of my upcoming crossplays, which are going to be expensive, most likely. But for the most part, she's incredibly supportive, and I'm super-grateful for that.

Mostly right now I'm trying to avoid telling my grandma (who helps me with sewing on some occasions) what all the fabric I bought recently is for (it's for my Grell cosplay, from Kuroshitsuji). It's a little awkward having to explain that you're crossdressing as a guy, who's actually almost a girl, and is also a shinigami. With shark-like teeth and a chainsaw. She thinks I'm pretty weird for wanting to do all this. And I think she also wonders what I'm going to do with my life, and if I'm still sane. I'm pretty sure at least one person in my family thinks I have gender issues, since most of my upcoming cosplays are guys.

Ah, well. Such is the life of a cosplayer.

Emmy Altava (Professor Layton) - 20%
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III (How to Train Your Dragon) - 20%
Maya Fey (Ace Attorney) - 0%
Waka (Okami) - 0%

---
Upcoming Conventions:
[x] Katsucon 2014 - Sango, Rose, Kagura, Lunamaria
[x] Zenkaikon 2014 - Alice, Lucy, Kagura
[x] Otakon 2014 - casual!Nagisa, Levi, BlackRose

Last edited by Aarri2129 : 04-29-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Aarri2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #1001
OuranHetalia

My Mom and Dad don't really care, my Mom just thinks of it as extended halloween and my love for acting and being on the stage, Dad just does his normal thing and doesn't say anything. I want to buy a compression shirt to tie down my boobs but I'm actually scared to ask... I already know that my Mom is against the idea of me tying down my breasts and My Dad will be even more vocal about it, I'm still his "little" girl no matter what. I know that there is no way in heck anyone would dare tell my Grandmother though, she emails my Dad about all the weird things I'm into. Well the ones that she knows about, she is very reserved and if she found out that I took crossplaying seriously she would decide I was transgender and email my father about the horrible things that I am doing.

I actually have a friend who is a guy and wants to crossplay, but he has never told his parents, he keeps a dress at my house and wears it when he comes over to my place. My Mom doesn't mind him taking it seriously, but she does mind me... Oh well... I'll just have to find some sneaky friends who can help me with binding....

But other than binding my parents don't care.
OuranHetalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:59 AM   #1002
jellybone

I started cosplaying as female characters amd my mom was cool with it,she likes sewing so yea >u<,then when i told her "...caro cosplay un chico"/i speak spanglish to my spanish-only mom =v=;
and her reaction was "meh" she did'nt think it was weird at all since i'm only in costume and she even wanted to cosplay frankenfurter from rocky horror xD
but yeah my family really don't care about peoples gender,sexuality,whatever
my mom even gave me advice "suvan los pinche pantalones"
...but they weren't even sagging =''= ,it was still advice though XD
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #1003
Naus

Speaking on the phone with dad at a con [dressed as Yui from K-on]

dad: so you'r wearing a costume?
Me: yeah, sort of
dad: what kind of costume are you wearing? Is it from a anime?
Me: umm, I really don't think you want to know what I'm wearing
dad: [short period of silence] ..actually, I think you might be right

mum find my collection of crossplay items.

mum: what's this? [picks out a K-on skirt]
me: that's a cosplay costume
mum: ...
me: ...
mum: are you wearing this?
me: yes
mum: Nooooooo , I don't wan't you to dress like this!
me: I know [I retrive the skirt and put it on it's clothes hanger]
mum: hey! you'r wrinkling the skirt [takes the skirt and put it carefully on the clothes hanger]
me:
mum:
Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #1004
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

My mom doesn't care honestly. She asks sometimes as to why I tend to cosplay male characters instead of females, but all in all she's cool with it. :'3

Cons Attending
[Miku Expo]

dA
Facebook
Instagram
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #1005
Coffeespook

Ahh, I feel really bad for a lot of the folks here. My parents-- both my Mom and my Dad, are extremely supportive and always have been. My costumes tend to be 50/50 male and female.

Honestly, I can't imagine what it's like having to deal with completely unsupportive parents on the issue of innocent hobbies. It's all in fun. Seriously, the fact that crossplaying concerns some people is ridiculous.

It reminds me that recently, I was discussing cosplay with a friend of mine and he randomly piped in with "I hate it when girls costume as guys. I find it slightly disturbing." But why? He couldn't even give me a proper reason for it. Man, I just don't understand people sometimes!

Last edited by Coffeespook : 05-20-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Coffeespook is offline   Reply With Quote