Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Rukeya

Tyki Mikk

Follow up to my old post: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=256948

Character: Tyki Mikk
Series: D-Gray Man
Reference picture: Here - You'll likely find better by searching google for it.

Things I've changed:
Pants are more form fitting
Replaced old top hat with a coach hat
Got a curly wig and sideburns
Wearing shoes
Brought a prop

Things I'm aware of / could use some suggestions:
  • I did not include the beauty mark / stigmata still really sucked - I might have to use a liquid eyeliner for these. Bought a black theatrical pencil and all it did was smudge. Any other suggestions or ideas for the stigmata would be well received.
  • The hair still manages to come into the front. I assaulted it with bobby pins and hair spray. Any suggestions on how to keep it at the back would be appreciated.
  • Makeup has a blue tint indoors. I like the color in the pictures I'll be providing, but I've used Mehron Paradise - Stormcloud (only gray makeup that line had) and I don't always enjoy the hue. If anyone has any suggestions for a water activated makeup alternative that comes in a softer tone of gray... do tell. I so did enjoy the paradise line and I'll be sad to see it replaced.
  • I used two coats of Mehron barrier spray and still ended up with big streaky tear stains from my super sensitive eyes. Yes, I did try this without contacts and I still cry when going outdoors. This is the only area I had problems with; if anyone has any suggestions on how to better guard and protect my precious makeup from tears, I would be forever grateful.
  • I was wearing nylons on my arms to avoid painting them. I realize they're bunching up in some of the pictures below. I intend on taping them to my arms like a crazy person next time.

Any other suggestions would be wonderful.
Rukeya is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
sunseenli
Philosophaster Ephemerist

HOLY CRAP.

Uh..."keep being awesome"? I'm not sure that's a helpful suggestion. You seem to have it down pat already.
sunseenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Kyuushin
Wakawakawakawaka

Tyki has a slightly browner tint to his skin color. A bit deeper than what you have. I would suggest that after you find the perfect shade, that you get a shade just a notch or two darker and work in some contouring around the face and on the lips. Naturally lips are never the same color as the skin. They're darker. It'll keep your face from looking too flat. People who put on normal make up have to do this as well after the initial base of foundation and powder to give the face the dimensions that the make up takes away.

Also, find a eyeliner pencil the same shade or a shade darker than the skin tone and do some water lining and tight lining around the eyes. It'll help them stand out more and look less out of place.

Other than that the rest of it looks good. Maybe tailor the jacket so it's more form fitted, but that more about person comfort than anything else. Also blast that star with some spray paint or something just to keep it from looking too flat.
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Rukeya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuushin View Post
Tyki has a slightly browner tint to his skin color. A bit deeper than what you have. I would suggest that after you find the perfect shade, that you get a shade just a notch or two darker and work in some contouring around the face and on the lips. Naturally lips are never the same color as the skin. They're darker. It'll keep your face from looking too flat. People who put on normal make up have to do this as well after the initial base of foundation and powder to give the face the dimensions that the make up takes away.
I actually purchased some bronzer and brown eye shadow to try helping things out but it didn't work so well in practice and I ended up leaving it out.
They drastically changed some color schemes in the anime in comparison to the manga, though. Noah skin is supposed to be grey, as I understood it, as opposed to the brown I'm seeing in screen caps. It's a fairly dark anime, so I can understand trying to keep the general atmosphere from being monochromatic (they changed Kanda's hair from black to blue).

I contoured my cheeks and nose. Not sure why I left out the lips; it's a bit obvious now that you point it out. XD

Quote:
Also, find a eyeliner pencil the same shade or a shade darker than the skin tone and do some water lining and tight lining around the eyes. It'll help them stand out more and look less out of place.
Heh.. ahh.. I did this. It just got washed away by my tears. I actually had to reapply all of my makeup after the photos because wind makes me tear up terribly. Unfortunately, I can't use liquid eye liner while I'm wearing the contacts (do they make water proof eye pencils?).

Quote:
Other than that the rest of it looks good. Maybe tailor the jacket so it's more form fitted, but that more about person comfort than anything else. Also blast that star with some spray paint or something just to keep it from looking too flat.
The jacket is actually tailored to fit me. I'm assuming your comment was for the sleeves which seem to bunch up a bit - there was space left in the jacket for wearing clothes underneath, though I may just take the sleeves in (and maybe lengthening them as well) at a later date.
If you're referencing the waist to hip portion of the coat, it's a little less form fitting just to hide the fact that I'm a rather curvy female.

I'll have to do another makeup test with better contouring, though I'm still looking for any tips anyone might have for better guarding against tears.

Thanks for the pointers!

Last edited by Rukeya : 04-16-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Rukeya is offline   Reply With Quote