Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
mtr0623
Lavi

Need some help

Ok so right now I weigh 235 lbs....and I hate it. I really want to lose weight for my next cosplays (and I really just want to be healthier in general)...the problem is that I am 16, a junior in high school, have no control over the food I eat, and no access to a gym or exercise equipment. I try my best to eat as healthy as I can but my parents are divorced and I switch from my mom's to my dad's every other week. At my mom's I have a little bit of control over the foods available to me, so I try my best to eat healthy there. BUT at my dad's I have absolutely no control....it's eat what is given to you or don't eat at all, and of course it is all junk food and fast food. So my diet is all over the place. The other problem is getting active (which I have a lot of trouble getting motivated for). I am in my schools marching band, so when we have conditioning, I do get a good amount of exercise there (we actually have 4 conditioning practices coming up in the next 2 weeks for a 5 mile long parade @__@ ). My mom is also a Irish dance teacher, and I used to Irish dance when I was little. I am trying my best to get back into that because 1. it's a good workout and 2. Irish dancing is super fun. I was just hoping to see if anyone had some tips for me for things that I could do to move things along, what I could do to lose as much weight as I can, or just plain motivation ^_^;;
-Viking!Norway (Hetalia)
-Rev!America (Hetalia)

Cosplays in progress:
-Arcanine gijinka (Pokemon)
-Yukine (Noragami)
-(fixing)Colonial America (Hetalia)

Cosplays in Planning:
-Bolin (Legend of Korra)
-Clear (Dmmd)

Events 2014:
-Metrocon 2014
mtr0623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Somsai
Guyver 01

Wow that sucks...
I guess you can try pre-making meals,
and putting them in containers.
Oh and btw. Losing fat is your primary goal, NOT WEIGHT.
Most ppl don't realize that they are losing more muscle than fat,
and when you do "look" slim. You either still have left over fat,
which gives off no real shape around your arms, thighs, and stomach (common places)
or have so little muscle mass due to poor diet and end up looking like that weird
irregular "inwards" shape to your body. Kind of hard to explain...but yeah.

As for tips,
-Drink more than 1 gallon of water a day (avg ppl need about that much so ppl who work out need more.
-Drink a tall glass of water in the morning (add a squeeze of lemon) to help boost your metabolism.
-EAT BREAKFAST. Everything you do in the morning helps your body function a whole lot better throughout the rest of the day.
-Eat the skin off fruits if possible
-Don't eat anything "white" (White bread, white sugar, etc.)
-Avoid drinking juice or sports drinks because they are high in sugar.
-Don't drink soda, because it can increase obesity and decrease muscle muscle mass.
(I don't feel like explaining, because there is a shit load to explain, but all I can say is it fucks up our bones, teeth, muscle, and increases fat)
-I HIGHLY recommend you find out your body fat %, so you can keep track of your primary goal.
-Be sure to do some type or variety of cardio more than 30 minutes. (Within that time you are just losing water weight and not fat)
-If you run on a treadmill you can keep track of how many calories you've burned (You have to burn 3500 calories to burn 1 lb of FAT, ppl who tell you that they can lose 3-8 lbs a week is obviously stupid and has a poor diet plan).
-Working out with a few weights actually helps a lot as well. More muscle gain and more calories burned. Why not? (ALWAYS do weight training before cardio)
-Make a diet and training schedule. You have to be organized if you are serious about losing that fat.
-Try to eat more dark leafy vegetables as much as possible.

Okay, that should be sufficient enough. o.o
ANYWAYS, good luck!
Remember, take your time, be smart, and train hard.
"Don't rush it your time will come" -Johnnie Jackson IFBB Pro.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
mtr0623
Lavi

I already rarely drink soda (I have never really been a big fan of it) so all I really drink is water. I also don't really eat many "white" things because everything at my moms is whole grain and such (my dad's house is the opposite sadly >__>;; ) and I don't have a treadmill...but my mom does have this...mini stair stepper thing (I use it to keep my leg muscles in pretty good shape for when I don't have marching band) that keeps track of how many steps you have taken and how many calories you have burned. Thank you so much for the tips~
-Viking!Norway (Hetalia)
-Rev!America (Hetalia)

Cosplays in progress:
-Arcanine gijinka (Pokemon)
-Yukine (Noragami)
-(fixing)Colonial America (Hetalia)

Cosplays in Planning:
-Bolin (Legend of Korra)
-Clear (Dmmd)

Events 2014:
-Metrocon 2014
mtr0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Lithium Flower
Handphones

You ought to speak with your father and explain to him that you're trying to get healthier, it isn't a good situation to be in when your parent is forcing you to consume unhealthy things you truly don't want to eat :/ especially at 16. When I was 16 I was free to make my own meals and already had done so for a few years prior if I had chosen to do so. If your father doesn't want to change, cannot afford to, or this cannot happen for whatever reason then take smaller portions of the unhealthy food he serves. If he asks you what you want at a fast food place order something like a grilled chicken wrap (or two, they're usually very small and I understand that one wouldn't really fill you up and lead to snacking later), or a salad. Many fast food places offer healthier options now, but if you don't want a salad or a wrap you could order a kids meal sized burger instead of the regular combo menu size. Or instead of going to a burger joint ask to get something like Subway or Jimmy Johns if you have a voice in the matter. At those places you completely customize your food and what goes on it so you'll have more control. If you can, try taking small snacks with you to your dads so you can munch on something healthier then fries or cheese sticks.

And you don't need access to exercise equipment to drop pounds, how do you think we managed before gyms existed? certainly we weren't all obese. Sit ups, push ups, crunches, squats,walking,biking, lunges, these are all things you can easily do with little to no need for anything extra. If you can, use weights while doing lunges and squats as well. Hand weights would be one thing I'd really recommend getting if you can, they're easy to store and can completely change your work out. Taking a move like side lunges, and adding weights changes it up and works different muscles of your body. You'd be surprised how quickly you can change, as an example I started off with only 5lbs and after working every day in less then a month I could go onto 10lbs.

You are young, yes. But not so young you cannot take an active part in making decisions like these.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Skaidrojumi
Psychotic Totipotency

i highly recommend squats, it doesn't require equipment, it burns calories fast, and works ur legs. basically just crouching down and standing up straight again and again. whatever exercise you do remember to push yourself a little extra, if u feel tired push through that thought and do a couple more it helps put ur body on a new track.
Skaidrojumi is offline   Reply With Quote