Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #481
Julesie

Hello everyone. I'm not very smart when it comes to Cameras and I was hoping to get some help.

I would like a good quality canon camera (preferably.) for taking good looking cosplay photos and holiday photos.
I would like one that can do that blur type effect behind a cosplayer, making them stick out, like this http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...wr-d4vzxwo.png.
I currently own a panasonic lumix TZ10 and I am not happy with the quality of the photos.

My price ranges from £100 to £300. I really want to take proffesional'ish looking photos. I am also hoping for a camera that is good at getting the details of pets, such as their whiskers and fur.

Thank you.
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #482
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesie View Post
I would like one that can do that blur type effect behind a cosplayer
That comes from a narrow depth of field. You get that with a wider aperture (lower f-number), larger sensor, and closer distance to subject / longer focal length. Check your manual and see if you're maximizing those settings in your camera--you may already be able to achieve what you want with what you already have.

If you're looking for a better point & shoot, the Canon S95 is a great one in your price range. The sensor is larger and the aperture goes wider compared to the TZ10, so it can afford narrower depth of field.

If you're willing to invest more time learning and don't mind buying used, you can get a much bigger sensor on a DSLR. And they can equip lenses with much wider apertures. All the major brands are good: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony. There should be a bunch of used entry-level models within your price range.
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #483
Julesie

I don't mind buying used if I can be sure its still in good quality.

I have been looking at this one. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS550D/29
It's a bit pricier than I had intended to pay but if it means I don't have to buy a new camera for a few years I don't mind paying a bit more.
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #484
Tenchi Fan
The PENTAX guy

Quote:
I don't mind buying used if I can be sure its still in good quality.

I have been looking at this one. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS550D/29
It's a bit pricier than I had intended to pay but if it means I don't have to buy a new camera for a few years I don't mind paying a bit more.
The image you have posted above was taken with a Nikon D5100 , Focal length 50mm , Aperture f1.6.

Pairing the Canon 550d with a 50mm f1.4 or 50mm f1.8 will give you similar results.
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #485
Julesie

Thank you. I had been looking at the canon 550d earlier. I'm not sure what you mean by pairing it with something though. I'm quite a newbie when it comes to cameras. Does it mean attachable lenses you can buy or?
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #486
Tenchi Fan
The PENTAX guy

Quote:
Thank you. I had been looking at the canon 550d earlier. I'm not sure what you mean by pairing it with something though. I'm quite a newbie when it comes to cameras. Does it mean attachable lenses you can buy or?
Yes. The lens that you use will give it that look.
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #487
Julesie

Okay. Where would I buy the lenses and how much would they be? There's two 550D's but both have different prices. I'm aware one has something extra added with it '18.0 Mpix, 3 x optical zoom EF-S 18-55mm IS lens' for £368 but the one without that would cost £310 with '18.0 Mpix body only'.

Would you suggest the cheaper or the other one for what I want it for?
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #488
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

well by that description the one goung for 310 pounds will NOT come with a Lens, so that extra 60 pounds would be for the kit zoom, which may not give you that really blurry background option, but its flexibility for daily use is definitely worth the extra cash. . . now as for a lens that will do what you pointed out earlier a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II would be your cheapest bet and I dunno about UK pricing, but here in the US, you can get them for around $120 brand new

Upcoming:
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #489
Julesie

So that would be the 550d with an added canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lense bought seperately? So its best to buy the £310 one and buy the lense after?
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #490
Julesie

Hmm the so called £310 one was a scam one where the add a ton of prices to it so it ends up being more than they said.

I'm having trouble searching for it in my price bracket... I don't think I am able to buy them from America as they won't work here?
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #491
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

I BELIEVE (not sure) the only difference between US and UK kits is the battery charger and the name badge (over there its the EOS-550D, here its the Digital Rebel T2i), but at that point plus the international shipping and customs and all that Id think it would be easier just to buy in your own market. . . as for buying body-only and just a 50mm, that would make things rather difficult depending on where you like to do your shooting, if youre at Con, then its gonna make things fairly difficult unless you have a good deal of rom to work with, thats where the 18-55 kit lens will come into play

as for not being able to afford it, theres nothing wrong with that either, theres always the second-hand market if youre intent on a DSLR, or in general just a different class of camera, something like a Micro 4/3s or Sony NEX would give near DSLR image quality without the bulk and price tag if you buy some of the less sophisticated models

Upcoming:
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #492
Julesie

I want a camera that gives very nice, almost proffesional looking photos certainly. Would the sony NEX do similar quality to canon and would it do the most important thing I want, that blurred look?
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #493
Julesie

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1100d

This one seems to be in my price rage. Is it any good? I'm tempted to buy it if so.
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #494
Rander

Quote:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1100d

This one seems to be in my price rage. Is it any good? I'm tempted to buy it if so.
Yes, that camera would be more than adequate to start to learn photography on a DSLR. Once you learn the basics (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc) you can always move up to a better body or another lens once you are comfortable with the tools you have. You can still get bokeh (blurry background) with the kit lens, but it'll take more work than if you had a 50 mm f1.8 lens. I started with the Rebel XS (1000D) and the kits lens and became comfortable in time to get more lenses and even a new body.

flickr DeviantART

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)
Rander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #495
Julesie

Thank you. I'm very tempted to buy that one then.

When you say it'll take more work though, how much do you mean? Will I be able to get it say if I find a cosplayer I really like their look off and just take it or would I need to fiddle around a lot before I can? I don't mind adjusting it somewhat, I'd just rather not spend ages trying to zoom in and focus and things to get it right in case the cosplayer gets fed up.