Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 04-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #46
Araakii

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTempest View Post
For those who haven't done assignment/paid photo work, I would definitely recommend you at least try it. It's not about the compensation, but being able to work under pressure to always produce high quality images is a good learning experience.

If you can do this and simultaneously expand your creativity, that's a real challenge. It's tough and can be quite stressful, but I think it's well worth the effort.
I second that. It doesn't even matter if you fail. At least you would then know that assignments are not for you. I wouldn't want to be working under pressure day in and day out, but a couple assignments occasionally can be fun.
Araakii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #47
milo1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araakii View Post
On that note, how much a commercial photographer charges is usually representative of his/her business acumen. The work itself doesn't have to be correlated with the price tag.
what do you mean by the business acumen?

also when i said do you cosplay i meant do you photographer cosplayers sorry for the confusing way i said it the first time.
milo1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #48
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo1312 View Post

also when i said do you cosplay i meant do you photographer cosplayers sorry for the confusing way i said it the first time.
Someone's business acumen is how good or talented they are in whatever line of work they are in. So I believe what he meant was that there is a direct correlation between how good a photographer is and how much they charge. The more money they charge, the better they probably are and if they charge less money then they may not be as good. Though deals can still be found, this is generally the trend that defines the free market. You normally pay more for what is perceived to be higher quality goods and services.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #49
Araakii

Quote:
Originally Posted by TykeJack View Post
Someone's business acumen is how good or talented they are in whatever line of work they are in. So I believe what he meant was that there is a direct correlation between how good a photographer is and how much they charge. The more money they charge, the better they probably are and if they charge less money then they may not be as good. Though deals can still be found, this is generally the trend that defines the free market. You normally pay more for what is perceived to be higher quality goods and services.
Not exactly what I meant. What I meant is that, how much a photographer charges depends on his/her marketing skills, customer service (not necessarily the quality of the product), presentation skills, networking and such. However, there is no direct correlation between the quality of the images and the price tag.
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #50
Araakii

Quote:

Your question was directed at thebrick.
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #51
Access

Quote:
Not exactly what I meant. What I meant is that, how much a photographer charges depends on his/her marketing skills, customer service (not necessarily the quality of the product), presentation skills, networking and such. However, there is no direct correlation between the quality of the images and the price tag.
Also knowing which markets/jobs to pursue, versus which markets/jobs to abandon or disregard. How to build a brand, set a price, use word-of-mouth to one's advantage, build and maintain good reputation.
Access is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #52
milo1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by TykeJack View Post
Thank you for the explanation.

Quote:
So it both things thanks guys for the help.

Quote:
Your question was directed at thebrick.
No at you araakii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Also knowing which markets/jobs to pursue, versus which markets/jobs to abandon or disregard. How to build a brand, set a price, use word-of-mouth to one's advantage, build and maintain good reputation.
thank you guys
milo1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #53
Araakii

Quote:

No at you araakii
Yes, cosplay is one of the major projects I am working on. I am doing it for a different reason and my style is not really "cosplay style", so I am not sure if I can call myself a "cosplay photographer".
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #54
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Quote:
Yes, cosplay is one of the major projects I am working on. I am doing it for a different reason and my style is not really "cosplay style", so I am not sure if I can call myself a "cosplay photographer".
I know I'm getting off topic here, but what is "cosplay style" for you ?
Just curious.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #55
Araakii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurachan View Post
I know I'm getting off topic here, but what is "cosplay style" for you ?
Just curious.
I put it in quote because I know there are many styles out there. But it seems like the prevailing style is fantasy or "movie like" scenes that appear in the original manga/anime/video game. Of course there are also studio portraits and stuff like that. Anyways, personally I am not that interested in the anime series or the characters themselves. I pick my "models" based on the color or style of their costumes and whether they fit into the locations that I have in mind. This is why I don't charge anything for my shoots, because in a way I am not really offering them a service. It's more like I trade their time and costume with my photos/prints.