Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 04-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Bertus
Tink!

Is this right?

My friend and I decided to compete in Phoenix Comicon's masquerade for the first time, and as I was reading through their guidelines, their rules struck me as incrediablely strange. If you are entering with more than one person and are not doing a walk-on(which you can't even use your own audio for), you must enter under the team-ups category. There is an early deadline for entering. Then there is a deadline set in which you are to send them a LINK of your performance; this is so they may decide beforehand if they even want your performance in the competition. The rules express that you don't have to wear you costumes in the video, but that the more you have done affects whether they pick you to perform. We been busting our butts, and although I am a compliant person, I fear that all of our hard work will be thrown back in our faces. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't quite seem fair, right?
Bertus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
evaunit01berser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertus View Post
My friend and I decided to compete in Phoenix Comicon's masquerade for the first time, and as I was reading through their guidelines, their rules struck me as incrediablely strange. If you are entering with more than one person and are not doing a walk-on(which you can't even use your own audio for), you must enter under the team-ups category. There is an early deadline for entering. Then there is a deadline set in which you are to send them a LINK of your performance; this is so they may decide beforehand if they even want your performance in the competition. The rules express that you don't have to wear you costumes in the video, but that the more you have done affects whether they pick you to perform. We been busting our butts, and although I am a compliant person, I fear that all of our hard work will be thrown back in our faces. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't quite seem fair, right?
sounds like they are trying to cut out the garbage skits that plague masqs.
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

That is a terrible way to run a masquerade. From someone who has competed in their fair share from tiny local cons up to international-level CostumeCon.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

In a way, I understand what they're going for: they may not want any surprises when showtime comes like nudity or foul language, along with wanting quality in the performances. But the way they're doing it sounds really really odd. If they want to pre-screen entries for whatever reason, all they'd need is a brief summary of what you'll be doing and maybe what music (if any) you'll use. If all they want are skits they think are "good enough" to compete, they should just have a skit show rather than a competition since they're apparently doing judging beforehand anyway :/
Unread 04-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Amanita

^Pretty much this. If my local con had a rule like that, I couldn't compete, because I have no videos of myself performing. I can't enlist my family to help me for a number of reasons, and even getting help from my friends isn't easy, logistically speaking.

The fact that a lot of cons do what the OP's does- namely insisting that walk-ons march out to somebody else's pre-selected music, and that walk-ons are generally not allowed to do much at all, is why I so vehemently resisted the idea of restricting myself to a walk on, myself.
(That, and a general vibe of close-mindedness to OC's- "You're an original character, nobody cares about OCs, stick to a walk-on!"
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I also really dislike the way walk-ons are often denigrated to a fashion show type of thing with no control over music, or how solo entries are treated similarly. A solo and/or simple walk-on entry can be VERY powerful if done well. Group skits are not the be-all and end-all of masquerades.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Amanita

^This. Last year, I ended up doing a solo skit about 1:15 long, where I used the first minute and a quarter of Jay-Z's song "Run this town". Or to be more specific, the audio from the music video, which has a longer lead-in, where you can hear the what sounds like all hell about to break loose- fire crackling, the voices of a crowd, the distant rumble of thunder..and then the lyrics started:

"Feel it comin' in the air, hear the screams from everywhere,
I'm addicted to the thrill, it's a dangerous love affair.
Can't be scared when it goes down, got a problem tell me now,
Only thing that's on my mind- who's gonna run this town tonight!

While this was going on, I did a solo routine- a sword dance made to look like I was defending against multiple invisible enemies, perhaps protecting my territory from rioters or the like.

The audience loved it, I got lots of applause, and compliments afterward. Never let it be said that solo entries lack merit, or that certain types of character should restrict themselves to strict "walk on, pose, walk off".
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Now that I have more time to formulate a proper answer...

Masquerades should not put people off, or make them feel like they're being pre-pre-pre-judged before their costumes are even finished or they've fully practiced their performance. They should be INCLUSIVE, not EXCLUSIVE. By requiring that many hoops to jump through just to get "approved," that masquerade is making it clear that they only want what they deem "the best," they're essentially closing the masquerade to anyone and everyone who would like to give it a shot. A properly-run masquerade should be welcoming and promote good feelings among cosplayers. That's not to say there can't be rules, like only allowing people to enter their own work, or putting time limits on skits, etc, but the rules should create a nice balance between the needs and desires of the cosplayers AND the need for the masquerade to put on the best show they can.

I know what they were going for - they want to screen skits to prevent people from leaving the masquerade going "wow that was a bunch of crappy skits." They intend to prevent overdone skits, vulgar skits, and so on from showing up. But you know what? Most masquerades where I compete are able to do this with a simple at-con rehearsal time, along with veteran costumers who can put on panels about how best to present your costume and otherwise mentor the newbs. This is pretty much a sledgehammer solution to a gnat problem. They're going about it all wrong. If you feel uncomfortable competing under those restrictions, then don't. And if they can't figure out why people won't enter, some polite feedback may help.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote