Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AnimeFEST

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
SafetyPinBandit

AnimeFest 2012: Change in Venue??

Is anyone else surprised/upset about the change in location?

For the last couple years, AnimeFest was held at the Hyatt Regency hotel. Last year was my first year for conventions. I attended A-Kon and AFest. I absolutely loved the Hyatt Regency hotel, and was excited to return for 2012 and take cosplay pictures... and then I found out that the location was changed to Sheraton -- the same location as A-Kon. Unless I make a new costume between June and September, then there wont be much of a point to go out of my way to add photos to my porfolio since the setting will all be the same.

So, I'll ask again; Is anyone else surprised/upset about the change in location of AnimeFest? What are your thoughts?
SafetyPinBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

I'm a bit disappointed that the con will no longer be at the Hyatt, but there have been a lot of problems with the hotel staff the past couple of years. At the new venue, the con has also removed the attendance cap that had been placed the year before, in the hope to grow in years to come.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
RukiasTears
welp

The hotel staff at the Hyatt are so rude. You pay for your room and dont even treat you like a guest! At the homestuck photoshoot they made it end early and were being so annoying. Also it was pretty packed there, a lot more people are starting to show up more every year, they need a bigger place. Oh yeah and theres like no where to eat. The food they sell is so over priced and not worth the money.
At least where Akon is you have choice for things to eat. I love where Akon is, it will be like going to Akon twice in one year this year.
Akon I heard will moving its location in the following year tho.
Jo - Burst Angel 50%
RukiasTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

I've actually never had problems at the Hyatt, but then again, I generally keep to myself at hotels. I am rather disappointed that they chose the Sheraton of all places, given that A-Kon is in that hotel this year--it will be like a mini A-Kon instead of an AnimeFest, especially with the lack of attendance cap. One of the main reasons I love AFest is -because- it's a smaller, more casual convention. Rumor has it that AFest will be nearly double the size it was last year, and I'm not sure I'm a fan of that. I like having enough room to move around in my cosplay without worrying about bumping into someone like I do A-Kon.

Another difference is that the Hyatt is near a large park area--fantastic for photoshoots, plus a lot of neat architecture is within walking distance. The Sheraton, not so much--the Arts District isn't a good walking distance if you're a cosplayer, and there isn't much in the way of green/natural places to shoot (even the Cancer Plaza isn't exactly natural). Granted, the Sheraton is MUCH more capable of handling large crowds and such, but....grrr.
Celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
SafetyPinBandit

The pricey food I can definitely agree with at the Hyatt. It made me glad I brought my own. (Though what I did eat there was delicious... would have been perfect if someone else paid XD)

I was talking to some friends that had attended AFest before me, but after I made this thread. Apparently it was REALLY crowded two or three years ago. I didn't think it was crowded at all in 2011 -- except for certain times/days in the dealer's room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyddon View Post
Another difference is that the Hyatt is near a large park area--fantastic for photoshoots, plus a lot of neat architecture is within walking distance. The Sheraton, not so much--the Arts District isn't a good walking distance if you're a cosplayer, and there isn't much in the way of green/natural places to shoot (even the Cancer Plaza isn't exactly natural). Granted, the Sheraton is MUCH more capable of handling large crowds and such, but....grrr.
For A-Kon, my hotel (the second over-flow) is the half way mark between the Sheraton and the Hyatt. It'll still be a decent walk, but it seems like I'll probably have to get the pictures taken I would normally want at AFest due to the close(ish) proximity over the weekend when I'm attending A-Kon. ...then while attending AFest I might as well stay in the area and do local stuff near the Sheraton. It just seems so.... bleh
SafetyPinBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
RukiasTears
welp

The Hyatt does have nice photoshoot areas with the grassy field and that deck area. But I dont know, I just really perfer being more inside the city. The problem with there being like nothing to eat is really displeasing. Since I dont have a car its not like I can drive around and find somewhere. There are places in walking distances but, who wants to do that.
I don't really do photoshoots that often since I have never tried that so I wouldn't really know about that. I would like taking photos but my friends arn't really ever into that. :/
Jo - Burst Angel 50%
RukiasTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

I've never had a single problem at the Hyatt. Even when a hotel staff member would be a bit rude, it always manages to turn around. Maybe because I understand how a job like that can be and so I constantly treat them with friendliness and respect-- or maybe I just get lucky! Either way, I'm incredibly sad Afest won't be at the same hotel. I don't care much for the Akon hotel personally, as it doesn't feel as close and personable as the layout at Afest. But that's definitely not going to stop me from attending!

I just hope it doesn't feel like I'm going to Akon twice this year.

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
negativedreamer
Dream in the Negative

This will be my first Afest, and I hope it goes well with all i am reading. Cant wait to meet some of you TX people I have been following for a few years!

dA: http://negativedreamer.deviantart.com/
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/negativedreamer
negativedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

my thoughts on location. . . BOTH locations suck to shoot inside, bad lighting at terrible color temps, though atleast the Grand Hyatt had a some degree of natural light in the daytime. . . but even them nost of the Staff will bitch at you to GTFO from any set shooting activity in anything resembling a secluded area, not to mention the wristband thing denying me access to the upper levels (I stay at home for DFW Cons)

outside and around the Con, the Sheraton does have more in the line of dining options, and scenery is alot more diverse, I mean theres some fun things to shoot in the area if youre willing to walk it, a nice church, general Urban street scenes and some form of greenery here and there. . . the Grand Hyatt had that park [of yellow grass], that [emptied and dry] fountain, that [packed] courtyard area, and thats about it. . .

population wise it was geting tough to get around A-Fest as is, so I think the larger location is gonna help, and A-Kon outgrew that thing long ago, it was to the point where Im almost refusing to walk through those halls with any equipment

in the end, I have my gripes, but I still go, just because I have enough friends to spend time with, and make do with what im given

Upcoming:
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
aragrey
Babyhands

I like the set up of A-fest at the Hyatt, but the Sheraton definitely has more room to roam around and better dining options. I'm indifferent on hotels, because they all are gonna have their ups and downs and rude staff and awful elevators.

What I'm worried about it A-Kon moving to the Anatole. That hotel is way too nice to be hosting an anime convention :/ Too much art sitting around.

..:: Dallas Sci-fi Expo & Dallas Comic Con & Anime Matsuri & A-Kon & San Japan & Anime-fest ::..
New This Year
..:: Belldandy & Splicer & Buttercup & Rouge the Bat & Formal Crow & Sailor Mars ::..
aragrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragrey View Post
What I'm worried about it A-Kon moving to the Anatole. That hotel is way too nice to be hosting an anime convention :/ Too much art sitting around.
They host a FREE gaming convention for 4 days every August. Quakecon is pretty much an epic LAN party.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
Adnarim
ROAR

This is only going to be my second AFEST but I've been to A-kon several times in the past. I'm indifferent to the hotel change, both venues have their pros and cons to them. Either way I'm content with Afest moving to the Sheraton. It's better to move to a larger site than stay cramped up in a small one.
Seth Nightroad - Trinity Blood
Ragyo Kiryuin - Kill la Kill
??

Then: PAX South
Raiden - Metal Gear Rising
Lissandra - League of Legends
Wizard - Diablo 3
Jack - Dragon Effect
Adnarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
Tenya Muyo
Mad as a Hatter XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragrey View Post
This!! I'm very nervous of what's going to happen next year at the hotel! I know there are plenty of level headed people that go to this con, but the few that like to ruin it for the rest of us, I fear for the pretty art they have there....

Wait..... why IS a raven like a writing desk....
Tenya Muyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
Squeesax
I AM ROUTE 66

I also have reservations about A-Kon at the Anatole. I mean A-Kon DESPERATELY needs a bigger hotel and thank goodness it is moving to a larger location, but I've always heard the Anatole is a pretty swanky place and is probably not going to put up with the crap the Sheraton has put up with for years... People gripe about the Hyatt staff, I hear they're alot worse at the Anatole. But if they're only speaking the language of money and don't get in tizzy about people trashing the hotel then it will probably work out... That's all I'm worried about. I mean I DON'T want people to trash the hotel, but they WILL and it's possible for the hotel to not allow the convention back. A-Kon really doesn't have alot of choices...

As far as AFest moving to the Sheraton, it's still the people who run A-Fest and make it what it is, running this convention, it will NOT be run by the A-Kon people. A lot of the reasons people find AFest more enjoyable then A-Kon has to do more with the events (and lack thereof/lack of organization at A-Kon) and their management, which is generally alot better at AnimeFest. It's more of a fan convention with lots of opportunities for the fans to bring in their own panels and events, and as you know that's alot easier said then done at A-Kon. I think its a GREAT opportunity for Anime Fest to get the space is so desperately needs, and allow room for even more growth and fun things to offer like it already has.

Also the location to easier food access by foot and train doesn't hurt either. Walking all the way to the west end in your cosplay shoes is not a fun experience usually XD

TL;DR both A-Kon and Animefest desperately need bigger venues so all in all, moving them to new hotels is not a bad thing.
Squeesax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #15
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

I loved the Hyatt. I haven't ever had an issue with staff and they've been more than accommodating to me every time I've gone, even allowing me to extend my stay for several hours for a small fee. They have been very helpful with assisting me to my room and even have joked with my boyfriend. They valet has been hysterical to talk to and would even remember my face when I'd wander outside. They'd joke that I needed to turn around and go back inside or else I might get lost...apparently, my loving boyfriend told them I was horrible with directions and to guide me back inside if I wandered out. Oh, how I adore my boyfriend, lol. Anyways, we loved the Hyatt and their kindness and willingness to joke with us. I'm sad to see it move to the Sheraton...I'm not fond of the Sheraton hotel at all.

I hope the move is for the better, but I'm sad to see the Hyatt go.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote