Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
Zhiana
Inspired Insanity

Stomach toning

Hey guys,

I'd like to start toning my abdomen, but I've no idea where to start D:
I don't want to lose weight, because I'm already quite slim, but I've noticed lately that a lot of toning in my stomach area has been lost in the past few years and I've started to get quite embarrassed about it.

Maybe it's silly, because as I said, I'm already slim, but I would love to bring my tone back - I've just got no idea how! I've heard that doing situps actually doesn't work, is that just an urban myth?

I've got no idea where to go for a regime, and my brother is no use as he is more focused on his arms/shoulders than his abdomen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much <3

Oz Comic-Con Adelaide regina from [ once upon a time ]
Supanova Melbourne supergirl from [ dc comics ]
Supanova Sydney zatanna from [ smallville ]
Oz Comic-Con Melbourne ? from [ ? ]
Armageddon Melbourne wonder woman from [ justice league ]
Supanova Adelaide ? from [ ? ]
Zhiana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Kagomekai

Try sit ups, its a great way to tone your stomach, I do three sets a day to total up to 100. 30-30-40 or sometimes 30-35-35. It's helped me quiet a bit but I would suggest maybe start off with 20 per set.
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
belligerent
Viking Metal

If you want your abs to show more, do more cardio and adjust your eating habits. Generally what stops them from showing is excess fat tissue. You can also do strength training, which will help your metabolism tackle excess fat.

I am surmising from the information given that you weren't doing much exercise when they were showing, correct?
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Somsai
Guyver 01

Just do a bunch of ab work outs to increase muscles in your abdominal.
OR if you notice you can literally grab/pinch the fat off your stomach,
then you need to burn fat by doing cardio and going on a diet.
If you showed us a picture it would help.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
Zhiana
Inspired Insanity

Photo: http://i.imgur.com/mFvPv.jpg

I hate the bump in my stomach, but I've had it my entire life and I don't think I'm ever going to achieve a truly flat stomach because of it but I would like more tone. It's annoying because I can feel the muscles when I tense (slimpack vs. sixpack? if that makes sense) but they don't really show.

@belligerent Yeah, it was when I had just started uni. I have a pretty fast metabolism so there's no combating that I don't think.

@Somsai I don't know if what I'm pinching is skin or fat. Either way, I hate it even more.

@Kagomekai Thank you for that! I find sit ups to be quite easy and a nice work out at the same time. I think I'll give your regime a go, starting today!

So do we think cardio and ab crunches are the solution?

I don't eat a lot of sugar/fatty foods although my diet is definitely not as rounded as it should be.

Last edited by Zhiana : 04-23-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
battlebeats
Hells naw!

You can tone while maintaining your weight. I roomed with a body builder for a while and learned alot of his "secrets" which is just shit he knew and I didn't haha.

Drink ALOT of water, alot of "tummy bump" is from stored up water, if you continually drink water your body won't be forced to "hold" it in your fat cells. Eat healthy, avoid fast food and sugars.

Cardio, if you drive then maybe consider biking, go for morning runs. A great way to full body tone is martial arts as it focuses mainly on core strength but uses every part of your body.

Biggest things you can do that are easy and cheap---drink that water! go for some cardio!

best of luck to you
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhiana View Post
Photo: http://i.imgur.com/mFvPv.jpg

I hate the bump in my stomach, but I've had it my entire life and I don't think I'm ever going to achieve a truly flat stomach because of it but I would like more tone. It's annoying because I can feel the muscles when I tense (slimpack vs. sixpack? if that makes sense) but they don't really show.

@belligerent Yeah, it was when I had just started uni. I have a pretty fast metabolism so there's no combating that I don't think.

@Somsai I don't know if what I'm pinching is skin or fat. Either way, I hate it even more.

@Kagomekai Thank you for that! I find sit ups to be quite easy and a nice work out at the same time. I think I'll give your regime a go, starting today!

So do we think cardio and ab crunches are the solution?

I don't eat a lot of sugar/fatty foods although my diet is definitely not as rounded as it should be.
huhuhu! Ty for the picture. <3 8)
Haha, kidding a side.
Well, you look great. I see just a little bulge there,
but its nothing really serious.
I mean if you want to get rid of it you're going
to have to do lots of cardio. The less
you weigh the harder it is to burn that remaining fat.
To sum it up your body basically goes in survival mode and
tends to hang on to that extra fat.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Zhiana
Inspired Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somsai View Post
huhuhu! Ty for the picture. <3 8)
Haha, kidding a side.
Well, you look great. I see just a little bulge there,
but its nothing really serious.
I mean if you want to get rid of it you're going
to have to do lots of cardio.
Thanks, I realise that I'm pretty slim already but that little bump is pretty frustrating for me. I know it's now serious or anything but it's something that I dislike >_> We all have that one thing!

Quote:
The less
you weigh the harder it is to burn that remaining fat.
To sum it up your body basically goes in survival mode and
tends to hang on to that extra fat.
I was afraid of that! Well, just gotta get on it I guess.

@battlebeats Thanks for that! So basically I'm going to have to do a lot of cardio. I'm moving house next week so that'll be some exercise I guess lol! Would Zumba count? I've been interested in giving that a go because it looks like a laugh.

Unread 04-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
battlebeats
Hells naw!

yes zumba counts, hot yoga is also great for getting rid of water weight. Be sure to always be drinking water so that your body doesn't hold on to it. Excessive cardio isn't necessary but regular activity is best.

I can't stress enough how drinking water throughout the day will help.
Unread 04-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
HorribleGhost

Here's an area where I have a lot of experience, so hopefully I have something to offer.

I've been probably focusing on my mid-section in my work-outs the most, and I've noticed a few things. I don't have a lot of technical knowledge about working out, or about muscle groups, but I have a lot of experience with a little research.

The thing that's best about a mid section is not just the abdominal muscles, but all the other little weird bumps that are around here and there. Working just abdominals will give you abdominals, but it's amazing (and to me is still amazing) how much of an impact working on the smaller, often neglected things that can make a huge difference in making someone look fit.

Some of the workouts that I do are Mountain Climbers. They are pretty good for cardio, and they work a LOT on your mid section. I do them a little differently (I do them one leg at a time, trying to...sort of knee myself in the jaw without actually...well...kneeing myself in the jaw XD and not letting my feet that are up ever touch the ground) They work on some weird muscle that's a little under your shoulder that looks really nice after only doing them for like 2-3 weeks. They also work your abs while you're at it, and a few other things.

I also just like doing jumping jacks and high knees. They're pretty easy, something you can just do in your room, and they are great cardio. They also tend to hit the mid section a bit, especially the muscles that are lower down, to the sides of the abs. It's funny, after I do these for a few minutes and look in the mirror I'm always surprised how fit they make you look XD

Yeah, other than that just keep doing sit-ups, keep doing cardio, keep doing all that. You'll get there pretty quickly with stuff like this. Running (if you can stand to do it. Personally I don't and never do it) is another great one that helps with pretty much everything. Just remember that having a low body fat percentage is very important.
HorribleGhost is offline   Reply With Quote