Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 04-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #16
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

I am in the middle of a battle with a "client" .. This was not done over cosplay.com, so she doesn't have a username I can post..
However, she goes by "dark angel Jessika" if she never does try to contact anyone here.

Anyway.. About 3 months ago, I got a call from someone requesting a quote on a jacket for her friend.. I gave her an estimate, she said she'd let her friend know, and I didn't hear from her, so I assumed her friend didn't want the jacket.
About a week ago, she calls me back, out of nowhere, and asks if I'm almost done the jacket. I told her that I wasn't aware she even wanted the jacket, since she never got back to me, and that it was too late if she still wanted it, since I'm completely booked for the event she needs it for.
Well, she started flipping out, she said that she had given me months, and it's ridiculous that it's not done, and that she needs it soon, and that I "promised" I'd make it for her..
She even tried to say she wants her money back.. (She never gave me any money)
After she shouted a few obscenities at me, I hung up the phone on her. She's 16 years old, and I know her parents, so if I have to, I'll get them involved.
I think she got money from her friend to give to me, and she spent it on herself, so now she's trying to cover her own ass, and get money out of me to pay back the friend.. =p

Oh, and after that, she had her brother phone me and ask if I could alter a costume for her. =p

Unread 04-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #17
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroi_shi View Post
I am in the middle of a battle with a "client" .. This was not done over cosplay.com, so she doesn't have a username I can post..
However, she goes by "dark angel Jessika" if she never does try to contact anyone here.

Anyway.. About 3 months ago, I got a call from someone requesting a quote on a jacket for her friend.. I gave her an estimate, she said she'd let her friend know, and I didn't hear from her, so I assumed her friend didn't want the jacket.
About a week ago, she calls me back, out of nowhere, and asks if I'm almost done the jacket. I told her that I wasn't aware she even wanted the jacket, since she never got back to me, and that it was too late if she still wanted it, since I'm completely booked for the event she needs it for.
Well, she started flipping out, she said that she had given me months, and it's ridiculous that it's not done, and that she needs it soon, and that I "promised" I'd make it for her..
She even tried to say she wants her money back.. (She never gave me any money)
After she shouted a few obscenities at me, I hung up the phone on her. She's 16 years old, and I know her parents, so if I have to, I'll get them involved.
I think she got money from her friend to give to me, and she spent it on herself, so now she's trying to cover her own ass, and get money out of me to pay back the friend.. =p

Oh, and after that, she had her brother phone me and ask if I could alter a costume for her. =p
Wow...just...wow. This is really crazy. I've never heard of such nonsense! So sorry to hear this happened. At least she didn't try to pursue a ridiculous fabricated lawsuit or anything. Some people!
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #18
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
Wow...just...wow. This is really crazy. I've never heard of such nonsense! So sorry to hear this happened. At least she didn't try to pursue a ridiculous fabricated lawsuit or anything. Some people!
Yea, she's totally crazy..
I haven't heard from her in a week, but I imagine she'll call again a few days before the convention and demand the jacket again.
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #19
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Wow glad to see thus thread finally being used the RIGHT way..without people telling me I was basically stupid for starting it
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #20
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

I don't understand seller's who don't want to pay paypal's fee for "Goods/services" when you are in fact, SELLING an item and USING Paypal as a service, therefore should pay their fee for the good that YOU are providing or items you are selling. Not to mention, as a buyer, you'd want to send your own payment for good/services as goods/services and its easier to keep tabs of in case a problem arises. Buyers should NOT pay a SELLER's fee.

Not to mention using Paypal is free, so is eBay, so a small fee for their services is perfectly reasonable.

Just my two cents though.

Last edited by Mykaios : 04-27-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykaios View Post
I don't understand seller's who don't want to pay paypal's fee for "Goods/services" when you are in fact, SELLING an item and USING Paypal as a service, therefore should pay their fee for the good that YOU are providing or items you are selling. Not to mention, as a buyer, you'd want to send your own payment for good/services as goods/services and its easier to keep tabs of in case a problem arises. Buyers should NOT pay a SELLER's fee.

Not to mention using Paypal is free, so is eBay, so a small fee for their services is perfectly reasonable.

Just my two cents though.
The fee is like $2 or around too. I don't understand why anyone would refuse to pay a small fee to ensure some sort of protection. I won't buy unless I can send as goods/service.
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #22
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

see i dont really MIND paying the fee, but in my case, i asked if she could send it as a gift and she said ok then decided not to on her own after agreeing to. i mean its not a big deal, but if the buyer agrees to the way they are paying then does the opposite, thats kinda messed up
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #23
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

re: Paypal fees. Paypal's fee is not for just sending money, it's for using a credit card to send the money. And it isn't a flat fee, it's a percentage. So if I'm asking someone for a $300 payment, I could lose up to $20 of that to Paypal because the customer wanted to use a credit card. In that sense, perhaps you could understand why the seller would advocate a way to reduce their own out-of-pocket fees. When it's just a one-off item here and there, it probably isn't a big deal, but when you own a business and every penny that goes out has to be tracked for tax purposes AND is money not actually being earned? That really adds up at the end of the year. I could lose hundreds of dollars in income to Paypal annually - income I need to pay my bills and taxes. So, really, I'm cool with the buyer checking "gift" instead of "goods/services." Maybe it seems like an odd thing to do over single items, but understand the seller's POV before complaining about it.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #24
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Well when I say I don't mind, I more meant in a sake like the one I did..if the item costs so much that your losing like 50 bucks, then hell no I ain't paying for that
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #25
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Well, I can understand why a seller would ask, but honestly, it isn't safe...even if the seller has good reviews and has delivered before, there's always a first, and I'll be the living proof of that. I'd rather the seller tell me up front they won't accept my commission unless I pay as a gift so I know in advance not to ask them if they don't offer that services I feel comfortable with. Neither way is necessarily wrong at all, I'm just saying from personal experience, I won't ever check a commission off as a gift/personal simply because there's no protection from PayPal, and I highly doubt the bank. Pretty sure if I went to my bank and stated that I sent money as a gift to someone in exchange for services, they'd laugh at me and tell me there was nothing they could do since it was sent as a gift. Now, I have however, gone and purchased a puppy from someone and paid them money through PayPal. I took the puppy home that same day I paid them through PayPal, so I didn't mind sending the money as a gift...but thinking back, I'd probably have done it differently at this point in my life (I was 19ish then).

Again, it's understandable why a seller/commissioner would ask to be sent payment as a gift if that much is taken out -- I wasn't aware that so much is deducted, but a seller/commissioner also has to understand that for the buyer's sake and since of security, it can look like a scam and can turn customers off/away. I've personally never had a commissioner not take my commission when I sent payment as a service/good and most my payments are well over $300. I've never had one complain to me before about it. PayPal is a free service, but charges a fee to help with things, so I guess if you want to use it, it's only fair to pay the fee. The fee amount is ridiculous on larger orders though. I wished they'd set a fee limit on larger orders of $5-$10 or something.
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #26
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
but understand the seller's POV before complaining about it.
I mentioned I was both a buyer and seller and I don't see how my post really counts as a complaint.

If you, personally, don't want to pay the fees, then discuss with your customer about a higher price in order for those fees to be covered, since they would have to pay them anyway as a gift (except they won't have buyer protection through 'gift" payments), at least paying the higher price would give them security through paypal.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #27
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Angelbabycakes, I understand completely what your saying, but I'm pretty sure when most commissioners don't mind paying as a service, its cuz they know about the fee andput that into the price already thinking your going to pay that way so they tack on the fee to the costume price so that they don't lose money. Either that or they don't put these earnings in their taxes so its not as bad the ones that do it to make a living
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 04-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #28
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Angelbabycakes, I understand completely what your saying, but I'm pretty sure when most commissioners don't mind paying as a service, its cuz they know about the fee andput that into the price already thinking your going to pay that way so they tack on the fee to the costume price so that they don't lose money. Either that or they don't put these earnings in their taxes so its not as bad the ones that do it to make a living
Maybe you're right. I've actually never had a commissioner ask me to send as a gift or anything...I've just always thought you sent as goods/services when commissioning, as it makes the most sense due to buying goods or a service. Lol. I've not noticed a price increase, so maybe they don't count it on their taxes.
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #29
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

RAGERAGERAGE!!
I'm dealing with a client now who keeps asking me to lower my price, while still providing top quality materials.. He keeps saying that he's a student, and can't afford it.. But, I won't work for free, and since I can't reduce the cost of materials, any price reductions would have to come out of labour..
If you can't afford a costume, don't buy a costume, I'm not a sweatshop in china who can make a tailored suit for peanuts, I need to make money too! =p
What he's asking for would cost about $1000 from a custom tailor, and I'm giving it to him for less than 1/4 of that.
And, to top it all off, he wants this costume in about 25 days, and has not put down a deposit yet.. I have a full time job, and other commissions to do.. Normally I would not do anything if there was less than a month to go without charging a rush fee, but he asked me for a quote 3 weeks ago, when there was plenty of time.
I'm giving him until the end of the week, and if he hasn't paid a deposit by then, I'll tell him I can't do it.
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #30
Tsukune
Anti-Form Sora

If you ever come across a customer named Garry Tatrow [which I believe to be his real name] be warned as he tends to make a commissioners job difficult with being over the top when it comes to perfection so if you are a new or inexperienced commissioner like myself DO NOT ACCEPT A COMMISSION FROM HIM! At this rate only a Master level cosplayer should accept a commission from him [note: I am only Journeymanlevel] as he's done nothing but pick apart everything I've worked hard to make for him and yet still demand me to remake it for free with express shipping and in an unreasonable short time. Even threatening to take legal action [which as most commissioners know does neither of you little good].

Well that is all I have to say so be warned do not accept a commission from him unless you are 110% confident in your work because 100% just isn't enough for him. And I am not lying I really did try my best to satisfy him despite my current situation having just lost my job.

Good Luck as I know he's in the neighborhood for more commissions [and it doesn't need to be a difficult commission I made him a Natsu cosplay which is quite simple to make and yet this happened].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukune:
I felt like the Otaku world needed a word to describe the none-otaku/cosplayer/gamer/nerd and none awesome people of the world just like in Harry Potter with how they use the word Muggle to describe none magic folk, so I came up with the word Nord. So a Nord is a none nerd.

Nord = Individual
Nords = More than one
Nordians = Society/Species
Tsukune is offline   Reply With Quote