Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Miruku-no-Aisu

Question Diet + Growing long hair ?

I'm gonna bring up two things that have been worrying me lately.
[ramblings start]
First. I am SICK of my chubby legs. Seriously. I know that everybody have different body type. My body is pear-shaped, and it's genetic since my mother is the same. But really, is it necessary for me to have literally bags of fat on my calves and my thighs? My legs look completely unrelated to my torso and my arms. I've been doing cardio exercises, and I dance too, but things don't seem to improve so much. And I don't lose any weight either, so it's not that the fat comes off other places on my body. More like THE FAT DOES NOT COME OFF. I feel rather upset because though I'm only 5'6", I weight 134 lbs while my friends who's only 2" shorter than me weighs around 116 lbs! (and they all have beautiful legs which make me feel even worse ;_; )
- and I'm asian by the way -
[ramblings end]
As a result, I put myself on a diet. No, no, not a very strict diet. Just less carbohydrate and sugar and fat and such. I don't starve myself.
But then, I bump into another problem. I need to get my hair grow longer so as not to have to buy a wig (since the character already have black, but very long, hair). Yet my hair grows very slowly (less that 1/4 inch a month). So I wonder if my hair growing speed would be affected by my diet.

Okay, that's all of it. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear. And thank you.
Miruku-no-Aisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
LadyMisaGaga
Beautiful, Dirty, Rich

If you want your hair to grow try taking a multivitamin or get prenatal vitamins. Or botin. Get regular scalp massages. It helps stimulate hair growth. I wouldn't see why eating healthier would affect your hair. It's when people don't eat, or are bulmic or anorexic that they have hair issues. So good luck!
LadyMisaGaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Slight to moderate calorie reduction shouldn't affect your hair growth, especially if you're still getting plenty of protein.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
LinkofHearts

As long as you are getting plenty of protein and green veggies and vitamins I would assume changing your diet to healthy would effect it in a positive way just as it would the rest of your body. I'm not sure about growth per se', but shine and strength for sure. As for helping your hair grow, as Missmisagaga said, scalp massages help a lot, you can do this by brushing your hair GENTLY with a comb or soft brush to stimulate the scalp and also spread the natural oils from roots to tips (which help protect the tips from dying out so much). Vitamin E is amazing for growth as well. I would invest in getting some and rubbing it on your scalp then wrapping your hair in a warm towel turban at least every night or as much as possible. You can also just add it to your hair before styling and just keep it in all day. Don't wash your hair every day ( I know it's gross sounding but your hair doesn't need hot water and chemicals every day to stay healthy). Dry shampoo is great to help get out some oil build up. This will help with shine and giving your hair and scalp a break from having to constantly build up new protective oils in your hair (Just make sure to brush those oils from root to tip). If you do wash your hair, ( Or -when- I should say) use luke warm or cool water when working with your hair. Not washing your hair everyday is a preference as I know a few girls who refuse, but the vitamin E and scalp stimulation along with eating a lot more healthy should help. Let us know how it fairs out!
LinkofHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Miruku-no-Aisu

Thank you all! Your suggestions are all very helpful ^^ I'll try using these methods. They sound really nice.
Miruku-no-Aisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
aragrey
Babyhands

I second the biotin comment, my roommate started taking it and her hair now grows like a weed, and it has slight metabolic side effects that speed things up a little bit.

Also, it's good that you're doing dance, because that's really one of of the best ways to get leg results. I recommend doing lots of tendus, plies, releves, and passes. Those helped me tone up!

..:: Dallas Sci-fi Expo & Dallas Comic Con & Anime Matsuri & A-Kon & San Japan & Anime-fest ::..
New This Year
..:: Belldandy & Splicer & Buttercup & Rouge the Bat & Formal Crow & Sailor Mars ::..
aragrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Leithiana

Prenatal pills are great for skin, hair, and nails!
Leithiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
Poofykins

High intensity intervals take 20 min and 3x a week are the best for burning fat, 2nd to diet of course, you got the right idea cutting sugar but pay close attention to DRINKS, they have so much sugar and calories and most of the time people don't realize it cuz it doesn't feel like anything when you drink something.

(i'm a personal Trainer ^_^)
Poofykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
MiraThePanda
Certified Procrastinator

It may help keeping track of the calories you take in, as they say losing weight is about 80% of what you eat. And about growing your hair out, I swear by Biotin, it is VERY effective and has made my hair grow a lot faster then it normally would.
MiraThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
princessmoon
1, 2, 3, na-na-na-naaa!

Be careful with the biotin intake. I tried once and was following the directions on a hair, skin, nails product. I ended up breaking out badly on my face I think the amount instructed was too much for my body to process, so I stopped taking it. It took a while to clear... just a word of advice.
princessmoon is offline   Reply With Quote