Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #31
ioniafreak
Geek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double00beaver View Post
Finding a wig for John is turning out to be a nightmare. I'm doing a younger version of him for a fanart cosplay so I was considering looking for something a bit more on the dirty blonde side instead of the ash blonde look he's got now as an adult. Not sure though. Would be wonderful not to spend even more hours trying to find a wig to match his hair now. xD
do you have a reference? Perhaps i can help out
ioniafreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #32
double00beaver
Disco Toast

The images I'm going off of don't really show his hair but you can see it a bit. I swear it's gotta be the curse of the BBC Sherlock fandom. I'm having issues with color while my Sherlock is having issues with style.

The designs are by Reapersun on Tumblr.
double00beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #33
ioniafreak
Geek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double00beaver View Post
The images I'm going off of don't really show his hair but you can see it a bit. I swear it's gotta be the curse of the BBC Sherlock fandom. I'm having issues with color while my Sherlock is having issues with style.

The designs are by Reapersun on Tumblr.
i am following Reapersun, HOW did i miss that picture? o.o

Anyway, you should try asking around in the wigs and hair thread, that may be a great start. i have been at a loss for trying to find a sherlock wig with the right style (my friend was looking for one) But Watson you can always get a little longer then what his hair actually is because its a little tricky to wear short short wigs. but i will be sure to look around~
ioniafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #34
double00beaver
Disco Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioniafreak View Post
i am following Reapersun, HOW did i miss that picture? o.o

Anyway, you should try asking around in the wigs and hair thread, that may be a great start. i have been at a loss for trying to find a sherlock wig with the right style (my friend was looking for one) But Watson you can always get a little longer then what his hair actually is because its a little tricky to wear short short wigs. but i will be sure to look around~
My friend is letting me borrow one of her wigs temporarily for if I couldn't find one of my own but I was hoping I would find one before the convention. I'll ask around but so far my problem seems to be I find wigs with the perfect style but they either make the color too pale or too dark. Good luck with a Sherlock wig, they seem to be just as tricky.
double00beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #35
KnightJeran
Calling Major Tom

John and Sherlock are so difficult. WHY!? These normal-clothes cosplays are turning into a massive pain. Never underestimate live-action cosplays!

Many people seem to be going with Marilyn Monroe wigs for Sherlock, with trimming. I think I'm going to buy an Arda wig (I've always wanted one) and try my hand at just messing with it until it looks right. I seem to have a talent for just BSing my way through wig styling and making it turn out alright.

As for John, I think my friend and I have officially settled on the Super Short from Coscom in the ash blonde. The "cool ash blonde" is actually a pretty awesome color.

Good luck everyone!

2013: Dean Winchester/Castiel/Sherlock/Kitty Riley/Rainbow Dash/Spike/Timmy Turner/Canada/Fai/Kraehe

My Cosplays +++ My Cosplay DeviantArt +++ My Art DeviantArt +++ My Marketplace Ads
KnightJeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #36
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

My friend wants to cosplay Sherlock. I had a sudden mental image of The Riddle Solver Who Can't/Won't Solve Riddles... With John in the dress. I quickly corrected it as Fem!John, with long hair in a bun with little wisps falling out.

Now to get her a wig.

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #37
KnightJeran
Calling Major Tom

Awesome! Welcome Neelh! I've seen only a few femlock and femjohns and they are fantastic! I can't wait to see yours. There's so much artistic creativity and liberty to take when doing a female version.

My John and I have decided we're going to do some vacation!versions of John and Sherlock. I'm still in Sherlock-wig limbo, but I really need to get my butt in gear.

Sadly none of the arda wigs I want/could style come in Dark Brown, and I don't want Sherlock's hair to be too dark or too light.

2013: Dean Winchester/Castiel/Sherlock/Kitty Riley/Rainbow Dash/Spike/Timmy Turner/Canada/Fai/Kraehe

My Cosplays +++ My Cosplay DeviantArt +++ My Art DeviantArt +++ My Marketplace Ads
Unread 04-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #38
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

It's really unlikely, as her mum doesn't even like videos of her on youtube, and I'm already planning a Gumi cosplay.

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #39
KnightJeran
Calling Major Tom

Welp,

I ended up settling on #2 curly wig for Sherlock. I couldn't get a hold of any of the wigs I wanted for him, they all were being discontinued and not available in the color I needed. Maybe, one day I'll be lucky for once.

My friend and I are exploring the option of teen!pirate!Lock, since our dear Sherlock wanted to be a pirate. I think it would be kinda funny!

It's so easy to cross Sherlock over with a billion other fandoms!

Last edited by KnightJeran : 04-22-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Unread 04-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #40
Mama Austria
AKA Charlemagne

Oh fantastic! I'm so glad there is a thread for this!

I plan on debuting my Sherlock at A-Kon this year, with a large group, but I'm still not terribly pleased with my wig. I bought one and styled the curl into it completely myself, and the bangs on the front are still just a bit too full. I'm about to leave for work, but if I were to post photos of it this evening, could I get a little input?

The rest of the costume is done; the coat was a coat I had in my closet. I ripped it apart, literally at the seams, and retailored it entirely to resemble his. It's not Irish Tweed, but it will do. The scarf was knitted by my John by hand, and I opted for the purple shirt worn in Baskerville. Here's a few photos of that; forgive my corgi's cameo in the last one!

Pardon the poor lighting, and, lol, dirty laundry.

Simon Blackquill - Ace Attorney (15%)
Chief Prosecutor Edgeworth - Ace Attorney (100%)
Tsunami - Tenchi Muyo! (100%)
Luke Skywalker (A New Hope) - Star Wars (Planned)
Flynn Rider - Tangled (Planned)
Shinkou Taisou - Giant Robo: The Animation (10%)
Mama Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #41
KnightJeran
Calling Major Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Austria View Post
The rest of the costume is done; the coat was a coat I had in my closet. I ripped it apart, literally at the seams, and retailored it entirely to resemble his. It's not Irish Tweed, but it will do. The scarf was knitted by my John by hand, and I opted for the purple shirt worn in Baskerville. Here's a few photos of that; forgive my corgi's cameo in the last one!......
Holy shamolies! That coat looks amazing! You did a fantastic job at retailoring it! You have the vent and everything. It is a beautiful coat. (super jealous) I love your scarf too, while it's not originally a knit scarf in the show, it's the perfect color (which is actually somewhat difficult to find!) and that is so fantastic that your John knit it for you!! Lovely! (I have fallen in love with your corgi, too! I love dogs!!)

I finally got my Sherlock wig in from Amphigory (really only took 4 days!). I decided to get a #2 Marilyn Monroe wig and I'm going to separate the curls and trim it. It actually isn't too bad and I like how it's not black, but a very deep, super dark brown. I also got a shock blanket, the pink phone case, deerstalker, and the black magnifying glass (which actually was yellow, then sharpied black). Why must his pocket magnifier be $40? T_T I debuted my Sherlock at Starfest in Denver, but it is still a WIP.

Unread 04-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #42
Mama Austria
AKA Charlemagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightJeran View Post
Holy shamolies! That coat looks amazing! You did a fantastic job at retailoring it! You have the vent and everything. It is a beautiful coat. (super jealous) I love your scarf too, while it's not originally a knit scarf in the show, it's the perfect color (which is actually somewhat difficult to find!) and that is so fantastic that your John knit it for you!! Lovely! (I have fallen in love with your corgi, too! I love dogs!!)

I finally got my Sherlock wig in from Amphigory (really only took 4 days!). I decided to get a #2 Marilyn Monroe wig and I'm going to separate the curls and trim it. It actually isn't too bad and I like how it's not black, but a very deep, super dark brown. I also got a shock blanket, the pink phone case, deerstalker, and the black magnifying glass (which actually was yellow, then sharpied black). Why must his pocket magnifier be $40? T_T I debuted my Sherlock at Starfest in Denver, but it is still a WIP.
Eeee! Thank you! The coat used to be about two sizes too small, but I've since corrected it. I'm glad it looks all right! (Corgis. Are the best. <3)

I'll post my wig here tomorrow evening after class for some input on the bangs. Could I see how you managed yours, Jeran? I got your comment, btw, and it made my flail! You are too kind! My wig is sadly black; I had trouble finding a dark brown that I was pleased enough with. But if yours looks nice, I might have to go with your idea!

Unread 05-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #43
KnightJeran
Calling Major Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Austria View Post
Could I see how you managed yours, Jeran? .....
Unfortunately, I only have the wig, and haven't styled it yet. I can't really give you a good picture of what it looks like styled until June 8th (when I go home to Colossalcon and style it on my friend). Sadly, the lack of time/space/wighead/model is preventing me from doing much with it until I get home from university. I'd be glad to post pictures of it when I style it, though! Even if it's an entire month away.

Unread 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #44
1blackwing

I'm doing a Femlock for Otakon this summer! My friends are being John and Moriarty, so excited!

I haven't decided if I'm going to brave actually making the coat, and I'm having difficulty finding a purple blouse that would work... But the rest of the costume is underway!
1blackwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #45
Mama Austria
AKA Charlemagne

Jeran - That's okay! My friend actually just bought me that wig for my upcoming birthday, so I hope it will be here in time for A-Kon! We're going to have a real neat nighttime urban photoshoot at the convention, in downtown Dallas. There's some great locations we can use!