Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 04-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
iAnimex

Make or Buy?

Hello, now I'm having a little trouble figuring out what to do x.x ;

Not sure if i should make my cosplay ( i can sew pretty good ) or buy it online. I'm planning on making a school girl outfit, this one :

x

x

This cosplay is from shakugan no shana , character Shana

I've been trying to find patterns but no luck... any suggestions? : o
iAnimex is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Asezuna

Sew. Definitely. It's more fun that way. And you can correct the outfit in the very minute something has gone wrong about it. (Except if you cut somewhere you shouldn't have.)
Unfortunately I can't give you suggestions. It's my great-grandmother who is a pro at things like this. Besides, anything I've sew I did so without a pattern. xD
But I still wish you good luck!
Asezuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Patches
she killed a man

Umm, whatever you feel most comfortable doing?

You're rarely going to find a pre-made pattern to fit a costume you want to make exactly. You just find something as close as possible and augment it to suit. For something like the sailor collar, you can find tutorials on how to make it online. GSTQ's for example. You can even find tutorials on making box pleats too. You may be able to find a similar skirt as a cheerleading pattern though.

If it's about money, it would definitely be cheaper to make than buy something that simple IMHO. If it's about quality, that's up to your skill or where you're buying from....
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
GunKatCosplay
GunKatCosplay

When you purchase a costume, I don't feel that you have the same emotional attachment to the costume that you do when you make it.

For the skirt, check in the patterns for a longer box pleat in the sportswear section of patterns. If you need a specific one to look for, let me know and I can dig through my patternbox for the one I'm using for Haruhi Suzumiya.

For the shirt, you can steal the body of this pattern: Butterick 4684 and the sleeves off of this one: Butterick 5526

A good sailor collar tutorial is the one by Lynleigh which appears to be removed, but has been collected by http://cosplaybrain.wordpress.com/20...llar-tutorial/

If you can sew well, then making a costume such as this will cost you so much less than buying the full costume and you get the added bonus of pride in your creation.

If you have any other questions, let me know!
GunKatCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote