Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Shadow Leaf Nin

Post How to make a katana

Hey everyone this is Shadow Leaf Nin, this is my first time so give a break anyway for all you Naruto Cosplayers, I have recently made a Katana and Harishin (Yellow Flash) Kunai out of Balssa wood, this woood you can get at any BLICK art supply stores.

When geting the Balssa wood for the kunai get a thick peice of wood (width of the wood) so that you can be able to make the kunai have a handle (you know like the plastic kuani that people who cosplay Naruto characters use, the ones sold at conventions)

Balssa wood is very light weight but you definatly have to be carefull when making a hole in the wood, me and my dad finsihed cutting out the Fourth hokage kunai and at the end, we had to make a hole in the handle. But the results of this is that if you cut the shape of the kuani out of the wood first before cutting the hole the wood will split.

Take my advise, cut a hole before cutting the Fourth Hokage kunai out, also put the kuani design in the ceter of the wood, my dad said the reason for that is so that the kunai can have support as well as making the hole in the handle with out it spliting the kunai and wood.

(I did not try it wet, but I will soon)

Again for the sword, find any design that you would want to get a thick peice of wood(width) or thin peice of wood (width) depending.

for me I used a think peice because that was the only Balssa wood I had left, put the design that you want onto wood:
Thin peice of wood, try to put the deisgn on twice so that once it's all cut out you can use wood glue, to apply the wood together to make the sword (katana) thicker.

for thick Balssa wood, only do the design on wood once, cut it out and use ducttape on both the Thin and Thick Katana swords that you created to help keep a grip on the sword.

Hope this hellped if you have any questions PM me at Shadow Leaf Nin
Shadow Leaf Nin is offline   Reply With Quote