Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 04-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
Rurouni-Idoru

Tattoo pens?

So I'm nearly finished with a cosplay for Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho. (The short guy, not the dragon, for those of you not familiar.) Usually, he keeps his right arm bandaged to contain the power of his dragon or...something (the show was never very clear on that particular aspect of his backstory), but as I'm not entirely sure I can make the bandages happen, I'm looking into tattoo pens to just have someone draw the dragon on me as a Plan B. And having never shopped for such things before, I have no clue where to look.

My priorities are as such, in order of importance:
1. Easy removal: I have other short-sleeved costumes planned for the con I'm attending that do not involve dragons winding their way around my dominant arm, so I can't use anything that takes days to wear off or leaves stains. I want something I can clean up with soap, water, and a washcloth.
2. Durability, I suppose: Something that won't flake off or start fading fifteen minutes after I get out of my hotel room. I don't want to have to reapply while I'm on the con floor, basically.
3: Quick drying: Not like, insta-dry, necessarily, I just don't want to have to worry about smudging it if I go to put on my wig right after it's done.

I've seen tutorials suggesting to use liquid eyeliner for this sort of thing, which would fit all my needs if I used a good brand, but as far as I know, it only comes in teeny tiny bottles with teeny tiny brushes, and that's not really feasible for a design like Hiei's. Any suggestions?
Rurouni-Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

so there tech isnt really a tattoo pen. and yes eyeliner comes in tiny bottle so to do that much ud prob need like 10 bottles, tho larger brushes could be used. id go about using alcohol based paints. they are expensive but will prob work the best for this.
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Rirukuo

There is this thing called permanent tattoo markers (at least they are called that here in Norway) that stays on untill you wash it off with makeup remover and soap. I've used it a couple of times, but it's really hard to get off. I had to scrub and scrub and scrub... and scrub.
I would suggest using face/body paint. If it's good quality paint it won't flake or stain, but it's easy to get off.
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
Rurouni-Idoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rirukuo View Post
There is this thing called permanent tattoo markers (at least they are called that here in Norway) that stays on untill you wash it off with makeup remover and soap. I've used it a couple of times, but it's really hard to get off. I had to scrub and scrub and scrub... and scrub.
I would suggest using face/body paint. If it's good quality paint it won't flake or stain, but it's easy to get off.
Any specific suggestions? I have a couple of Mehron black pencils laying around, but I know from experience they do stain my skin slightly.
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Rirukuo

Well, since I live in Norway I tend to have trouble using products that's recomended on coscom, because most of the coscom users live on another continent and have a completely different brands of makeup... And I think that goes the other way around, too. The paint that I use is a norwegian brand, so I don't think that will help. But I've heard good things about Snazaroo face paint and Ben Nye, which I believe both are american brands and/or possible to buy online.
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Maybe try a sleeve of a sheer pantyhose type fabric and paint the tattoo onto that? If you match it well enough to your skin it won't look obvious that it's a sleeve, and you won't have to worry about rubbing it off or re-applying. And it won't take extra time to draw it on at the con.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Rurouni-Idoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Maybe try a sleeve of a sheer pantyhose type fabric and paint the tattoo onto that? If you match it well enough to your skin it won't look obvious that it's a sleeve, and you won't have to worry about rubbing it off or re-applying. And it won't take extra time to draw it on at the con.
Oooh, this one sounds ingenious (and easy)! I feel kind of silly for not having thought of it, considering all my failed attempts to make a bandage glove for this costume. I'll definitely try this, and if I botch it, I can always fall back on the paint ideas. Thank you guys!