Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 04-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
unifx26

Help: Making Dragon Helm.

Ok so i've looked at a few different ways to make helms, One being Pepakura with resin/fiber glass then auto body filler over it which is Great but There is no template for the type of helm I want to make, Its from a game called MU Online, a really old school MMORPG and the armour is Dragon Armour, there are no good models to work off but this picture is from someones fan art, i have the whole body so i can copy but here is the helm http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg210...&res=land ing

So i've made myself a head out of old news papers and tape that is the same size of my head and i thought about using paper mache or paper clay/model magic to start it off to get the general shape then get more detail done with Model Magic (ive heard its exactly like clay to get more detail) then use resin and fiber glass over that and then auto body filler over that to sand down and get most of the detail and get nice paint work over it.

Or does anyone else have some idea's?
unifx26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
unifx26

Bumpo~
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
catfetus

I think you are on the right track. Basically you need to find a way to build the shape, then harden/reinforce it, and then the detail work and such.

Since it's a bit big I would say use foam of some sort to get the basic shape and bulk it up so it's not as heavy. The amount of clay you'd need to get that large of a shape would probably get a bit expensive. While paperclay and model magic are a bit light they're still not as light as foam.
Paperclay and model magic are basically both lightweight, air drying, clays. The main differences between them are that model magic is lighter and fluffier (it's easier to get finger prints in), but paperclay can be sanded. Personally, I prefer paperclay.

I like resin and fiberglass a lot, it'll make it nice and strong. But keep in mind that fiberglass cloth isn't really smooth, so your surface won't be smooth after you apply it.
As for the auto body filler, that's more personal preference. It's much harder and sturdier than paperclay but you can't apply it as precisely.

I made something semi-similar (it wasn't nearly as detailed) out of an old bicycle helmet and carved spray foam.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...88583&type= 3
catfetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
unifx26

Thanks for the reply, Yeah i've started on it already, think i Might document it as it might help someone else later down the track with a detailed helm/armour, I started with some cereal box's (eh free cardboard why not)

And I just made a crown to start with then built it into a dome around my whole head, cut out the facial part (where you can see the mouth of the dragon) and now ive started to paper mache it to build up some body to it and make it a bit stronger and shaped it.

I think I will make some Paper mache clay, (pretty much blended up paper mache) and build more of the details to it like the nose ears eyes teeth so on and then fibreglass cloth over it all trying to get it into all the smaller crevices then auto body filler over that to make it sturdy and smooth after sanding.

I hope this turns out well haha i have a massive feeling I will Fail..

ah well.. crappy webcam quality video tutorial on something ive never done before here I come!
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
catfetus

Paper mache clay is a good alternative to paperclay.
I don't think you'll really need fiberglass over your paper mache, because paper mache on its own is decently sturdy. It's up to you though, fiberglassing just sounds like extra, avoidable, work. My biggest concern would be it coming out less smooth because of the fiberglass.

You should be fine There's no one way to make anything. As long as you don't cut corners and make sure things are sturdy you'll be alright.

Have you heard of Light Modeling Paste? It's some cool stuff I like to use to fill gaps or add details. It's a little expensive but it has the consistency of sour cream and air dries pretty solid after a few hours (has more work time than body filler).
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
unifx26

Hmmm so you say just auto body fill or use modeling paste over the paper clay(paper mache)?

skip the fiberglassing, hmm well if i build it up enough to be strong i probably will, i just didnt know how the bondo would work on paperclay

thanks also for the mention of light modeling paste, ill check it out
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
unifx26

wow just took a look at your photos, that is awesome!! good effort
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
catfetus

With Bondo and Paperclay just remember that they're not flexible, so they will crack if bent if your structure isn't sturdy enough. So after the paper mache if it's still flexibleish then go ahead and do the fiberglass.

Both of them stick just fine to hard surfaces. Paper mache clay should actually be a lot stickier than regular paperclay (I've only used paperclay, haven't actually used paper mache pulp/clay). If you want you can even rough the surface up a little with sandpaper just to make sure. Personally, I also like to do a layer of resin (just resin) on the top to give it a smooth texture and also to ensure that everything stays down.

And thanks! I need to fix the helmet up, I took it via airline go a con and it got sooo beat up in my suitcase The jaw has a huge crack in it that I need to patch this month. Resin and fiberglass seems like the only way to fix such a major crack but I don't want to have to resmooth so much! D: I was hoping for a quick fix...
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
unifx26

ah ok. yeah ill make sure its rock hard before I bondo it thanks again for all your help, you have saved me a lot of time and money with the whole fiberglass thing lol.

also I hope you get your helmet fixed with out to much trouble , also Like'd your facebook incase you post any more teehee
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
unifx26

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/423758/

this is what ive done so far looks kinda poop but it will get there!