Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Other Reviews

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
noctiluca
ryuujin no miko

Costume Shop Review: COSREVO

Name of Product: Jessica Ushiromiya (full costume)
Where Purchased: etika, a shop on Rakuten. (product page) They don't ship overseas, so I ordered using Japonica Market (shopping service). The brand is COSREVO.

Product Description: Full set including jacket, shirt, tie, and skirt. Comes in 4 sizes (S, M, L, and LL) and can be custom made by special request if you get it from their main website, though I just ordered the M size (and it fits perfectly too).

The costumes are pricier than most store-bought costumes, but with good reason. The construction quality is very high and the materials are nice. Quality-wise it gets my seal of approval, and I'm pretty picky about that... it is just as nicely made as the lolita brand clothing I own, and the pricing runs roughly the same as lolita brand, too.

Pretty much all the materials are a poly blend, so they don't wrinkle easily. But I'm still gonna have to iron everything before being able to wear them out; they're a little bent up from being packaged.

Pictures:
Worn (sorry, this one is crappy webcam quality.. the others are nicer)

Shirt and tie, tie closeup (big) - Very standard shirt. But it has a pocket! Secret pockets where you can keep some vitals like cards and cash are ALWAYS a bonus when you don't want to carry tons of stuff around in a bag. The tie is very nicely made and it's velcro'd in the back. The material is really super soft and is the same material real ties are made of, nice and weighty with a slight sheen.

Skirt, underside and lining detail - They went with the "ruffle on skirt" interpretation instead of the "ruffle on jacket" type. (which makes more sense and looks more attractive, but I have no idea which type is more accurate). The skirt is a very bright pinkish, almost neon red, just like the VN's coloring, and lined with a matching color of satin. The ruffle is made of satin too, but the opposite side is used, so it isn't super shiny. Also, did I mention this skirt is #%#$ing SHORT! 35cm long. Though it's just being accurate to the reference material... While it covers everything it needs to, I will have to wear my Utena booty shorts under this so I don't feel as self-conscious.

Jacket front, jacket back, jacket inner - The main body is true navy (VERY dark blue) and the collar and cuffs are a very dark gray that is roughly the same darkness as the navy blue. The One Winged Eagle is embroidered in gold thread and it looks really stunning; def. the standout feature of the jacket. The buttons are made of metal, and the button holes are a little small (hopefully they won't get too warped from continued use) because the jacket is very fitted and this prevents buttons from accidentally popping. There are also thick shoulder pads that remind me that Umineko takes place in the 1980s. But it looks really nice on; it doesn't look like those infamous power-shoulder suits.

Pros:
- Very accurate to the source material (though built to be flattering on a real person, it would be bad if this looked JUST like Ryukishi's artwork lol). If Jessica were real I imagine her clothes would look just like this.
- Very professional construction. Everything is properly hemmed (folded over, no "serged" hems) and lined and no loose threads. The materials are good quality and the machine embroidery is tight, dense and lustrous.
- Comfortable to wear! While the skirt is short, my movement doesn't feel restricted at all, and I don't have to worry about messing up this-or-that because it's very sturdy.

Cons:
Honestly... I can't think of any, aside from it being a little more difficult and expensive to acquire because they don't directly ship overseas. And that isn't a fault of the costume itself. I really love this outfit.

Overall Rating: 10! It really deserves this rating.
"Yuko" Narukami (Persona 4)

I have a tumblr too!
noctiluca is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
noctiluca
ryuujin no miko

Name of Product: Nozomi Kasuga (full costume)
Where Purchased: etika, a shop on Rakuten. (product page) See above post for the shopping service I used and brand website.

Product Description: Jinbaori, kimono shirt, obi, and skirt. Like the above post, comes in 4 sizes and custom sizing but I just got the standard M size.

This one was almost twice the price of Jessica's outfit, and was out of stock so I had to wait a whole month for it to be ready. D: The wait was killer. I don't know if they still restock this costume or if it's only made-to-order now.

The materials in this are also almost all poly-blend. But the kimono top and skirt in particular are pretty wrinkly so I'll have to fix that.

I have a handmade Nozomi Kasuga outfit already, so I might compare the two here and there.

Photos:
Worn (crappy webcam again, sorry)

Kimono, collar detail - The top is made with a medium weight material with a very slight luster, and twill weave. Catches light nicely. The sleeves are very wide (but this looks pretty good), and it's not constructed at all like an authentic kimono. It is unlined, but the material is soft and pretty opaque so it's fine that way. The sal tree blossoms are screenprinted on. They kinda cheated with the top, keeping it all one piece instead of having juban underneath. The second image shows how the fake collar works. The main collar is tied around with strings and loops to hold it closed.

Skirt and obi - The skirt is poly twill and box pleated like it's supposed to be. The obi (also made of twill) is a grayish purple, a little on the narrow side, velcro'd in the back, but... there's no obi-jime!! It's a minor detail missing; I'll have to add my own.

Jinbaori front, jinbaori back, jinbaori inner - This is easily the most important part of the costume, because it pretty much covers up everything else. The main part is a very pretty dark blue twill with a red-orange collar. The trim and "armor" part is made of soft pleather. The armor is patterned after the artist illustration version (mine is based off in-game CGs). The trim is brown instead of red, which is weird, but actually looks good (and reddish) in photos so I'll let it slide. It's lined with white satin and twill, which is nice because it's supposed to have a white inner. The cabochons on the collar are gorgeous (metal, glass and rhinestones), and look just like the original artwork. The embroidery crest on the back is missing. It's never visible anyway because of Nozomi's super-long hair, but as a perfectionist I'll probably embroider a patch of my own and iron it on.

The only thing that really bugs me is the epaulets. Instead of being totally sewn in place (in my handmade one they were reinforced to be hard as rocks and glued in place), they were tacked down in a few locations, which causes them to lift and bend very easily, lacking the "real armor" feel I tried to achieve with my personal rendition. Fortunately this is easily fixed with a couple safety pins.. but I would rather not have to do that in the first place.

Pros:
- While not 100% accurate to source material, this is definitely the best Nozomi costume available from a shop right now. It is expensive, but not insanely so (*shakes fist at Cospatio*).
- Professional construction. Just like the Jessica costume, everything is constructed in a proper and sturdy way, no threads left loose and no hems left unturned. The screenprinting is high quality and I don't have to worry about it coming off. I like that it used pleather for the armor like I did.
- Comfortable. This is leaps and bounds more comfortable than my handmade one because it's much sturdier, so I don't have to worry about it so much.
- Flattering fit, and photographs BEAUTIFULLY!! It's a little embarrassing, because my old costume, while it has some details I wish this one had, looks derpy on my body in comparison.

Cons:
- The epaulets. I already mentioned why when going over the jinbaori in detail. I wish they were fully sewn on so I wouldn't have to safety-pin them.
- No obi-jime or wrist band. :< But I don't mind too much because I already have one. (and I knew it wasn't coming with the wrist band)
- While the costume really is excellent in its own right... I don't know why it cost almost twice as much as the Jessica Ushiromiya costume. Or why it's more expensive than Chihiro Ashihara. It doesn't have as many pieces, isn't particularly complicated in its construction, the materials used are mostly the same... I don't think the bits of screenprinting and pleather would jack the price up so much. I suspect it's just because she's one of the most popular characters to cosplay, and they've one of the best buyable renditions, so they can charge more because of the demand... meh. I dunno.

Overall Rating: 9. It probably would have gotten a 9.5 or 10 if it cost less. The only real flaw is the epaulets and that is minor.

I really am sold on Cosrevo overall, though. If I ever get the spare cash I will get their Chihiro Ashihara as well. (that is, if my parents don't kill me for having 2 different Nozomis, because I already have a Chihiro... but hey, it is my money)

I have a tumblr too!
Unread 11-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
kiratsukai
culture shocked

I've been dicking around on posting my own cosrevo reviews, but I have 2 of their costumes ~ the blue Ciel and the Act 2 Len. They're amazing.

I'll get around to reviews someday, but I highly recommend them in the meantime ^^

Oh, and some hints:

Don't go through Rakuten if you can help it.

Cosrevo's main site is here: http://cosrevo.com/

They have frequent sales before large events in which a good chunk of their costumes are as much as 1/3rd off. They're having a pre-Comiket sale right now (Nov-Dec 2010). Also, new designs can be ordered on the first run for 20% off the price and the wait time is far less. Revo is expensive, but if you shop wisely, decide quickly and bide your time between sales, you can get some much better prices on their costumes. Costumes also come in CosRevo drawstring storage bags (I'm not sure if Etika also offers these).

Points accumulate quickly on Cosrevo with the high prices. If you can work out a regular buyer who will use the points you have accumulated on your behalf, the purchase of one costume can easily get you 1,000-2,500 yen off the purchase of your next.

I saved about 6,000 on Len and 7,000 on Ciel through a combination of pre-production sales and point discounts.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 11-27-2010 at 08:57 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
noctiluca
ryuujin no miko

Yeah, I ordered through Rakuten because there were a couple other things I wanted from Etika (and the shopping service gives discounts for ordering from the same shop)

I saw that they do have Chihiro Ashihara 20% off right now... in a size that will fit me...

...goodbye, 3DS reservation! xD

I have a tumblr too!
Unread 05-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
usuyukisou

I'm probably a little late but...

Cosrevo was slapped with a cease and desist last month because they apparently didn't license trademarks and whatnot. I hadn't checked the site in awhile since they seemed always so solidly there. And then I checked last week. I felt so disappointed, because they had reasonable prices, excellent quality, and were accurate on top of all that. Their products were so fantastic, it never crossed my mind that they might have taken some shortcuts in getting their business started...

Anyway, they removed every product except for originals, and are handling orders already made. I don't know if they are in litigation or what...

(Oh, and that probably explains why Classe's character wig line disappeared. Etika and Lovepop-Studio still display some stock, but I'm guessing those won't be refilled once they sell out.)

Anyway, if you want to read more thoughts, just Google Cosrevo's name in Japanese (the few discussions are all in Japanese).
usuyukisou is offline   Reply With Quote