Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #1681
Liliana
Palamecia's Hyper Emperor

@MDA: I totally agree with Hee-Hee on that Cady wig, I think that is the closest you will find for Kefka (with the extensions) I had even thought about using that wig for my Kefka, because it is already wefted backwards for me in the front. AND it's lace fronted. 8D http://www.arda-wigs.com/Cady.html

@FinalEvangelion: That's great to see some Cecil progress!! Your really good at that, wonderflex hates me. XD I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes on from there!~

@everyone else: I'm sorry I have not said anything for quite a long time. I've been missing you's. ;A; I have not been working on any Dissidia related cosplays for a while, though I recently started repairing Emperor again. I'm in a little bit of a panic, because I pulled him out the other day and realized that he has a lot more con damage than I thought he did from August... *SCREAMS!* Aaaand now I only have 4 weeks left until the convention I debut him at again. XD (again...) Plus 2 other FF cosplays to finish making and upgrade. Stress is finally sinking in lol.
Liliana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #1682
MDA
Destiny Productions

@Final: I'm planning to mix After Years, Amano, and her original Sprite. Yay mixing! Will be a lot of work, but I have Kefka to make for the same convention, but she'll be less work than him.

@Seifer: I'd reccommend it if you're buying doubles of stuff. I took to doing it when I did my Agito/Akito cosplay from Air Gear (cause I bought three pairs of pants for the character ^^; So I had to start. There was no way I wanted to buy double of stuff for Kuja XD He cost too much as is @_@ I need to get repairing his boots for next month >_< (same convention as Liliana)

@Hee-Hee: I'll have to think about this wig. If I know 100% by September I'll order it so I'll have it for February.

@Lil: I know you can get Emperor fixed in time! You're a go-getter >D

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #1683
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Listen to the wig wonder that is Hee-Hee.

@Final: I think everyone has given you some great advice, so I'm not even going to throw what I have out there. So good luck! lol

@Seifer: There needs to be more hours in the day! I'd love to have Rose ready for Fanime. It's not the outfit that worries me, but the hair. My god...that would take me a month to figure out that beast. o_O

@Lil: Hi Lady! You'll get it done! You always do. ^^
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #1684
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

@Seifer - Yep, that's the portrait that my roommate thinks that my puppy has a Joker type of "Why so serious?" smile . It was done with focused lighting and then turned it to black and white in Lightroom.

I do wonder how Bondo and Gesso will mix. Maybe I'll have to spray primer before putting on the acryllic paint? I suppose it's something I will need to experiment with before doing it with the costume. I would like to use the Bondo to fill in creases and the wrinkles since it's nice and thick. As for weathering, what technique do you use. Do you use some darker paint and run it across. I've heard of some people using charcoal and then putting sealant over the final product.

Awesome find on the Gestahl fanart. Amano art work is pretty open to interpretation. That art looks like it is inspired by the sprite more than the original work. As far as the beard and mustache, I was going to cut some of the hair off the wig and try to make fake facial hair out of that. The aging makeup will be a good challenge, but I did find some youtube videos on how to do that.

I really liked the fabric links. I especially like the 2nd one which has lots of red - which is what Amano's Gestahl artwork has. It looks quite imperial as well.

As it gets a little closer, we should post "looking for Celes / Kefka" threads on the respective forums.

I did try curling with G2B, but didn't use the hairdryer. I suppose the hair dryer may work better like you were suggesting.

@Liliana - Wonderflex can be a bit of a trick at first, but once I got used to it - I fell in love. I think the main disadvantage is the cost, though.

@MDA - Good luck with the Rydia. I've definitely seen my fair share of variations of her - as with most Amano / old school FF costumes.

@tifaia - If you do have any other advice, I don't mind hearing it of course.

@anyone - I've been working lots of hours this past weekend, so nothing new with Dissidia of cosplay. I'm not sure I'll be having a day off this next week / weekend - Wednesday if I'm lucky though. Next step is to attach the nylon straps and buckles on the back of the body armor. Then it's to the cod piece. I'm doing the bottom layers of the armor first so I can fit the other layers on top.

Pen Pen (Evangelion) - 10%
Duke Pantarei (Tales of Vesperia) - 95% - wig needs restyling.
Cecil Harvey (FF Dissidia) - 10%

Planned:

Emperor Gestahl (Final Fantasy VI)
Rakushun Rat form (Twelve Kingdoms)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Link Zora Armor (LoZ: Twilight Princess)

Desired, but not confirmed:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

PM me for free photoshoot in Seattle area.
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalevacosplay/
FinalEVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #1685
Seifer-sama

@ MDA: I too agree with Hee-Hee, that wig is near perfect for Kefka!! The problem with me when it comes to shopping for cosplay supplies is I always second guess myself. "Do I have the right color? This looks better... *buy* Aww... the color I had looks better than this new one. ". I am just a dork that way. :P

@ Liliana: You are awesome, I know you can finish Emperor in time!!! sorry to hear though that he needed more fixings than you originally remembered. I hate it when that happens.

@ Tifaia: Ha! Yeah, her hair is insane!! I can't say I blame you for not wanting to tackle that task so close to the con. I am just pleased Chun Li is as far along as she is!! I told myself I wanted to have everything done before the con for once, so it might, just might happen!!

@ FinalEvangelion: Aww but your dog is too cute to be Joker evil. As for the Gesso and Bondo, I would just do a few test pieces first and see what happens. I am not sure exactly how Bondo works (I know you told me, but I forgot) but I don't think there will be a problem with the two. Gesso is just for coating canvases to get a sooth surface, so it's like thick paint. As far as weathering goes, usually what I do is get a good solid base coat and dot on darker colors with a "ruined" brush. I say ruined because if you use a nice one, it will be ruined before you are finished weathering. If it's gold armor I usually use two or three different shades to make it look weathered. Silver is a bit harder because you have to mix your own colors with black since there are so few shades/variations of silver.

http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/cos...helmsdeep.html - This is the only example I could find of how I do weathering. It's close, but not exactly the same.

I am glad you liked the fan art, I thought it might be useful. I think any ideas you find you could just apply to the costume. That's basically what I did with all my designs. Awesome find on the Gestahl fanart. Amano art work is pretty open to interpretation. For the bears and mustache, if you can find a costume shop that sells beards (real ones, preferably blonde) then you can dye it and you wouldn't have to worry about making it. I am glad you liked the fabrics too. As I said, there are some neat things hidden on eBay.

I agree that as the next Sakura con rolls up we should post on the forums. I wouldn't want to do that now, it's too early and people might forget. As for the wig stuffis, the hairdryer helps because it sets the wig in place with the heat.

Costume/Dissidia Stuff: The zipper on my Terra dress finally busted. It was a cheapy one anyway, so it was only a matter of time. I think I am going to rip that sucker out and turn the back into a lace up dress. If it's laced I won't have to worry about lame zippers or if I gain/lose weight. Hooray... time to hammer in a ton of grommets! It's good for cosplay and it's a form of anger management right? :P

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #1686
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

@Seifer - Bondo's real use is for repairing dings in fiberglass car / boat bodies. It's pretty similar in how to use it on the wonderflex surface., just much thicker and quicker to dry. It's also something that should be done with a mask outdoors since it's toxic. Advantageous for smooth and not so detailed surfaces (sci fi armor).

I have seen that link a couple times - but forgot they discussed weathering. It will probably be complicated with the shade of grey of Cecil. Maybe just a very slight touch of black to mix in the paint.

We do have a really cool costume shop in my area, so I may find one. If not, then probably eBay will work like with the scarves.

I would say a couple months before SC would be a good time.

Sorry to hear about your Zipper and can understand the frustration. At least it lasted through SC and made it through the shoot. I'm doing the same thing but with nylon backpack straps and buckles so Cecil can be adjustable to my size.

I forgot, I need to send out the DVD of the shoot. Been so freakin busy with work these days. I'll try to get that out on Wed. Once I finish touching up Sakura's shoot. I will also submit that to the photoshoots section.

Planned:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Last edited by FinalEVA : 04-30-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #1687
Seifer-sama

@ FinalEvangelion: Yeah I remember you saying that Bondo doesn't really leave a smooth finish, which works really well for Sci Fi armor. I guess that makes sense. I have actually been using paperclay to fill in horrible dents and folds on some of my armor. It's not something I would really recommend for say torso armor or any armor pieces that might bend or warp because it will crack the paperclay. I have been tempted to try white glue in the same application but just haven't had the chance yet.

I was actually trying to find a sword painting tutorial that really discussed weathering but this was all I could find. Basically my method is much the same but I use a few colors to weather and then go back over it lightly with the original color. I sort of stamp the brush which will ruin the bristles but it looks really good I think. So as for paint for Cecil, I was looking at this image of him and I see a little bit of a purpley blue tint to his armor. What might be interesting to do would be to get a light blue and a purple metallic paint and mix them to the right color then maybe mix some of this in with the silver for weathering too. Just an idea. Black and dark shades of silver would look nice too. I would just test it out and see what you think looks best. :P Paint is sort of fun because if you screw up, you can always paint over it. http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy..._Harvey_ex.png

Oh that zipper was dying anyway. It was one of those flimsy invisible zippers and those things aren't very good after a few uses. I think the laces will hold much better and probably work better too. And like you said, at least it lasted through the con and the shoot! I think adjustable armor/cosplays is the way to go. It's easier and if weight is gained or lost, you should still be okay.

Ha ha! That's okay that you forgot about the DVD. I understand. April has just flown by because of how busy I have been. I guess it's the same for everyone else. My friend will be excited about the Sakura shoot. I will have to let her know! Thanks again.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 05-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #1688
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

Forums are Back up! Yay. I'm actually excited to be able to upload more of my photos from various cons with the new upload feature. The old one was too slow and inconvenient for mass uploads.

@Seifer - If you do try the glue method, let me know how it works. I haven't had too many problems with Bondo cracking so far, but it does make the armor pretty rigid and less bendable when putting it on and taking it off / moving around in it. I wonder if Gesso is the same way?

I'm thinking I should mix a few jars of paint for all my armor pieces since they are probably going to be some off colors. It does looks a little purple mixed in the armor as well. I think you told me before and forgot, but you used Folkart paint for armor, right?

One other question about the cape. On the pic you sent me, you can see the white tassley trim coming off the edge. You have it on your Terra cape and some of the scarves as well. What is the official term for that? I want to see if I can find a white version of that.

I sent the pics and DVDs on Thursday, so hopefully it made it. Let me know if anything is damaged, though.

@anyone -

Dissidia related: Well, I did finish lacing the back of the body armor and it fits really well. I made sure I can move and stuff because I don't want to be completely uncomfortable and rigid while walking around.

Right now I'm trying to think of a few creative design changes so the armor can still look okay but be able to fit the fact that I don't have a super thin hour glass figure that Cecil has.

Not dissidia or cosplay related: *Rant Warning* So my job somewhat put me in a not so good mood. My boss told me that I can't request any weekends off - putting me in a dilemma to either have the job or have this cosplay / cosplay photography hobby. So I apparently can't go to any more cons with this job. Eventually, I think I'm going to have to find something else for work because there is no way I'm giving up this hobby anytime soon. Also, this job is just temporary until I find my main career that I earned my MBA for.

Planned:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Unread 05-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #1689
Seifer-sama

Hooray!!!!!! The forums live again!!!

@ FinalEvangelion: I think the glue might work, but I also think to make it more paintable, I think I would also have to put Gesso on it as well. We will see though. And actually, Gesso bends really well with wonderflex. I haven't had any restriction issues with it at all. That's interesting that Bondo does though. I should that could help or hinder a cosplay depending on what you need.

I think that's a good idea to mix a few jars of paint. I would practice with the little painters trays first and see what colors you like first though before you start mixing all your bottles together. :P And yes, FolkArt is the brand of Metallics I like. I think Deco Art also has their own brand and they are almost the exact same colors as FolkArt and paints the same. So either will work for you I am sure.

Ah the trim okay. Well it depends on the type you want but once you know what it's called, it's easy enough to find.
This is bullion trim: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-PER-YARD-... t_2059wt_1396
And this is fringe trim: http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-ROYAL-BLUE... t_782wt_1163 (It doesn't always come that long, usually it's much shorter)

I got the pictures yesterday and everything was just fine. Thank you so much for those by the way! I now have some photos to buy frames for. :P

For your Cecil armor, one thing you could do is sort of trick the armor to make the "hourglass look". If you build up the top more then it makes everything look smaller. I am not sure if it will work but it was the only thing I could think of. I am glad that what you have fits you really well though. I am glad to hear the Wonderflex is working for you.

As for your job: They say that the best time to look for a job is when you already have one. I think what I would do is to look for another job now before your cons roll up so that you already have a few months under your belt before you start requesting time off. Some jobs are just unwilling to work with people's schedules and I don't think there are any jobs out there that are worth dealing with that. People should be able to request vacation without a hassle. Keep your hobbies because they are what make life worth living and find a new job. There are plenty of them out there. Good luck.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #1690
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Forums are back!

Even though I haven't been posting as often, it feels weird to not have something to browse during work boredom.

@Seifer: 17 days until invasion! >.> I'm going to annoy the living crap out of my friends that weekend. That's what they get for offering me crash space. A nutty cosplayer.

@Final: Ugh. I've been down that road with work before. GameStop was like that for me. I use to do a 4-day work week, Friday-Monday, and for a period of about 8 months they had a freeze on asking Friday-Sunday off. Which affected everyone in customer service and store tech support. What a pain that was. Had to go through a lawyer to get them to revoke that. Especially for someone in my case, that would mean I could only have Monday's off for time off? Yeah. Can't legally do that guys. Try again.

Hopefully you're able to find work in your field soon. Just keep at it and you'll get there.

As for the "hourglass" look, Seifer's suggestion might work. I've seen people do this with Vampire Hunter D, where they take the basic shape and build up the chest to look larger so that when they slip into the "armor/suit" it gives that illusion without squeezing you to death.

Aside: Ever since I made the plushie ( http://fav.me/d4v8nie ) at work, they keep asking me to do stuff for them. That was a bad idea. No more sewing projects. I'll just leave them at home. ><
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #1691
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@everyone: -headdesk- Anyone know when photos are supposed to be back up? I need Kukkii-san's tutorial!!! -cry- SOOO far behind!!!

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%
(Have the fabric, patterns and ears.)

Opera Celes: 45%
(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Terra~Esper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #1692
Seifer-sama

@ Tifaia: Hopefully the rest of the site comes back to life again soon. I hear you on the browsing at work... Guilty!

I am so excited about Fanime!! I sooooo need the vacation... It will be fun to meet you in person too! By the way, when did you want to meet up so I can give you Zelgadis? Would you just like me to PM you my number so you can let me know?

Ha to GameStop. I am surprised they tried to get away with that. Well at least you stopped that dead in its tracks. :P

I loved your Nights!! I know I said that before but just totally awesome of you to cosplay an old school character like that. I hope to be working on a similar sort of cosplay within the next year. And your plushie is so cute! So I can see why people wanted you to make more stuff for them. I think it's just a rule sometimes though that you shouldn't let everyone know what you can really do. Then they will start asking for favors and free stuff. who has time for that??

@ Terra~Esper: Honestly I am not sure. But I think I might have made a word document of her tutorial on my home computer. I will check later today and send it to you if I do find it okay? Keep your chin up, you will get this done!

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #1693
MDA
Destiny Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra~Esper View Post
@everyone: -headdesk- Anyone know when photos are supposed to be back up? I need Kukkii-san's tutorial!!! -cry- SOOO far behind!!!
According to Admin, they're supposed to be back up by tonight.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=288513

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #1694
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

@Terra: Don't give up! You'll get it done. ^^ And as Seifer said in a past post, just focus on one thing at a time. With the embroidery, if you're still at it, get the big/noticeable pieces done and do the rest after A-Kon.

BTW, if your costume is even half as fantastic as the last time I saw it, I'm dragging you up to the cosplay room with me to get you judged for hallway. No excuses missy. >.>

@Seifer: I'll PM you my phone info. ^^ We'll work something out. I'm really making Fanime the relaxing con. Other then a few photos shoots, my plans are pretty open!

And thank you! My next convention during Labor Day will be chock full of old school-ness. Between Chrono Cross, Slayers, and Outlaw Star, I'll be swimming in it. And while I regret sewing during lunch breaks at work, it had to be done. It was the one accessory to my costume that I really, really wanted. I'd be mad at myself if I didn't complete it. In hindsight, not the best idea, but still better then not doing it at all. >.>

Dissidia Updates:

...Sketched out CoD version 3.

That's all I got. lol
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #1695
Terra~Esper
Velvet Rose Cosplay

@Tifa: But.... -cry- Soooo much to do still... I dunno if I'm even going to get done! And I can't even start the wig without that tutorial. And I have to make new bootcovers...

To Do List:
Finish Dress embroidery (And sew together dress)
Make bootcovers
Attach patches to gloves and boots
Put cape together
Build Wig

...I dunno if I'm gonna make it...

Terra v.3 95%
[Ongoing Project]

Maiden Zelda 15%
(Have the fabric, patterns and ears.)

Opera Celes: 45%
(The base dress is mostly put together. Detailing the bodice and patterning the overlay detail.)
Terra~Esper is offline   Reply With Quote