Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 05-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
Su-san

Sweden cross play help??

Ok... So I'm going to supanova as Sweden and would like o know how to look male-ish like Sweden.. Can anyone help a poor defenseless 13 year old?? Ve~

UNKNOWN AS OF YET

----------

Planning

Sherlock Holmes (BBC)
SuperWhoLock (Fandom-y thing)
Reichenbach Sherlock

----------
Su-san is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
nordicunicorn
Freakshow

It entirely depends on what you look like from the start.

Make-up-wise:
Generally, foundation and concealer to blank out your own features. Bronzer/matte brown eyeshadows for contouring, defining the nose, brows and jawline. Thin out your lips with concealer. There are tons of tutorials on youtube; try searching FtM, crossplay, and so on.

Body-wise:

Use the other threads here. There are fifty gazillion ways to get your body "right" for a manly character. You can observe typical behavior, movement schematics, ways of speech and manners off any males anywhere where you live. Look at the way they walk, stand, gestures, reactions to speech and emotions (display of emotions).

Depending on your body type, modifications vary. If you have typical, obvious female curves, then binding, waist padding and sports bras are your friends.

And this may sound silly, but practice. Stand in front of a mirror and practice the perfect posture, walk etc until it's flawless. Go over it until it seems natural, You can ask your friends to help you here, perhaps try acting "male-ish" over the weekend? I have no idea how your regular personality or your family situation looks like, but practice - loads of practice - is generally the best way to go.

If you want, and are capable of, deepening your voice, practice this as well. Try it, but if it strains your voice, refrain from it. Don't harm your vocal chords.

And please, don't forget to have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMoyashi365 View Post
on that note:
"who is Ani-may and why is there a convention about her?"
Quote:
Considering that Kingdom Hearts is perhaps the most over cosplayed series of this year and last, and Anime Expo is literally walking distance away from Disneyworld, I'm surprised that cosplayers don't just march on the gates, hundreds upon hundreds of KH cosplayers looking to storm the gates of Disney.
nordicunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
belligerent
Viking Metal

Heh. I have quite a bit of experience with this.

Shoulderpads and lifts help, if your shoulders aren't particularly broad or you're not particularly tall. Sideburns are something nobody does but me. Eventually I'll make a tutorial since I need to make another pair for Sweden, but they're a good touch if you want to go the extra mile.

I do minor contouring with makeup but I already have a pretty good jaw and masculine features. It does help, though. Highlights are almost more important, since he's pale. I use the lightest of the Ben Nye student level personal kits. I darken under my eyebrow ridges, also, right next to the bridge of my nose for extra glare power.

I agree the walk is a big thing. With boots on, I'm only 5'9" (a bit short for the character) but you wouldn't know it from the way I walk. Every time I put on that cosplay, I am the tallest son of a gun in the room, and you will hide your wives, your kids, and your husbands.

I wouldn't worry about the voice as much. I have a naturally deep voice but if I can help it, I don't talk as the character. Thumbs ups and nods.

Video of me doing whatever as the character:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez_cHLW_P28
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Su-san

Aw Mai God!! Thank You Sooo Much!!! That's Helping Me So Much!!!

UNKNOWN AS OF YET

----------

Planning

Sherlock Holmes (BBC)
SuperWhoLock (Fandom-y thing)
Reichenbach Sherlock

----------
Su-san is offline   Reply With Quote