Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 212 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #6451
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

@Prissi: Sorry I couldn't explain it better! Hope you work out a solution though! <3

For the wings, my local craft store sells large foam boards for like £5 each so I'm going to get two of them, cut into shape, cover in holographic fabric (found a perfect one!) at my closest Fabricland (they sell metre long feather boas too) and attach them!

I'm making my wings foldable and I hope my "method" works.... But I was thinking of attach snaps or velcro to the wings and leotard to hold the back in place, and using transparent thread and attach to wings discreetly so they wrap around your arms. I've done this with my Neo Queen Serenity bow/wings and did the job perfectly!
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2012, 03:41 AM   #6452
Prissi
tsukini kawatte oshiokiyo

Progress picture!

Attached the pink/blue tiers~ They don't floof perfectly, but oh well. I found that I had to pin/pleat kind of irregularly, in such a way that it made the bottom of the floofs shape correctly.

Working on the collars... kind of nervous because I still don't feel like I have the right shape, no matter what I do, lol. What do you guys think? http://distilleryimage10.instagram.c...380fe523_7.jpg I almost feel like the V should be a bit deeper and the collar a teensy bit longer, maybe an inch or like 3/4 inch longer.

But tomorrow the dress should be pretty much done, other than the winged bow in front. :D :D :D

... But I am assuredly NOT looking forward to figuring out how to trim the collar... bought some ribbon that I liked the look of, but it doesn't curve. The gold lame bias tape I was able to find in the store looks awful imho. Might have to look into making my own. >_> I know you're supposed to use that pineapple-pleat lame trim, but I personally am not sure if I like how it looks.

Last edited by Prissi : 05-18-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Prissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #6453
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissi View Post
Progress picture!
Skirt drape looks perfect to me.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #6454
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

oh wow ^_^ I love how your skirts floof and drape prissi!

I really like your cosplay PrincessWolf! I think it's really gorgeous ^_^

I some suggestions. I have a tiara (http://buninou.deviantart.com/art/Pr...renity& qo=10) this one. I'm pondering if I leave it out or if I put it on.

But how do I put it on? Do I sew it to my wig? Maybe I could fix it to the wig by hair clips? Not sure how to do the pearls, i'm running low on time and Fimo XD I do have uniform sized pearls
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #6455
mirrorsaber
in unknown territory

For the tiara, you could either sew them on with thread and needle from Sally's beauty supply or get some snap on hair clips from there (they should know what they are) and attach it to the tiara, clip it onto the wig and possibly sew it on as well to the wig so it won't fall off.

next costume- Just repairing/making new stuff I never tried as of now.

Last edited by mirrorsaber : 05-18-2012 at 03:19 PM.
mirrorsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #6456
Prissi

Thanks guys! I'm going to work on the gold skirt today... here's hoping I can machine sew a proper line once I've put the horsehair in, otherwise this is gonna be a looooong day, lololol.

Hsien-Ko: Yeah, I'd sew it to the wig for maximum staying power. As for the pearls, what I'm doing is sculpey + a coat of pearl paint. You'd probably wanna attach that to combs too, or make a hole at the bottom for sewing to the wig.
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #6457
Prissi

-Skirts-
Gold spandex. I swear, never, ever ever ever again. >_< I think that skirt, as short as it was, took me the longest of the 3 skirts to sew. It was a good 5-6 hours. But the skirts are completely sewn together now~!

-Collar-
Still need to find a good gold trim that doesn't look like crap, that I can buy by the yard. I'm thinking about just using my leftover gold spandex and attempting to make bias tape...

-Brooch-
My first Sculpey attempt with the brooch didn't really turn out all that well in terms of uniformity... still contemplating how to attach all the components of the brooch together. >_> http://distilleryimage8.instagram.co...382044a1_7.jpg

Thinking about just gluing everything down to a base of interfaced holographic spandex, since I am going to have a ton of my cardboard-like interfacing left over from my collar, lol...

Oh, and MirniMausi --- it is NOT easy to sculpt a smallish crescent moon out of Sculpey... I failed miserably, lol. Probably need more tools to shape and sculpt.

-Wings-
The wings are occupying a lot of my thoughts~
But, a picture of the wings I'm aiming for:

- I found a giant marabou feather boa on eBay, 10 yards long: $18 with shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/75g-SnoW-Whi...item45ebf4ecd9 This should be more than long enough to cover the circumference of the front and back of the wings and leave me some extra for downy stuff near the waist.
- Using these loose feathers $23 with shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190645206296 to give that feathery wispy look

and then gluing the holographic spandex on top... there should be more than enough extra marabou and loose feathers to make the whole front feathery...

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Prissi : 05-21-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #6458
yuki387

I am trying to make a sailor saturn costume but i have run into something everything i read says she is supposed to be purple but the art book picture i am trying to base it on samples the colors to be blue any suggestions on what color exactly to use?
yuki387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #6459
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

This is the gold trim I'm using for the bodice and collar:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2e2ihxk&s=6

Unread 05-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #6460
yuki387

Ok i found some crepe back satin laying around what do you guys think for saturn?
Without flash:

With flash:
yuki387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #6461
Prissi

yuki387: 100% definitely, Saturn's color is purple. You could try looking for a color that kind of skirts the line between blue and purple if you really want to, though.

Steffi: Thanks! That trim looks really pretty. The only curve-able trim I was able to find in a pretty gold color was teensy tiny... so I ended up sewing multiple lines together. Going to be thinner than the actual trim, but oh well.
Unread 05-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #6462
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissi View Post
yuki387: 100% definitely, Saturn's color is purple. You could try looking for a color that kind of skirts the line between blue and purple if you really want to, though.

Steffi: Thanks! That trim looks really pretty. The only curve-able trim I was able to find in a pretty gold color was teensy tiny... so I ended up sewing multiple lines together. Going to be thinner than the actual trim, but oh well.
Finding the right trim that resembles closely enough to the musicals is atrociously difficult. I was glad I came across something similar, but after hours of researching and browsing different fabric stores, nothing had anything better..

Unread 05-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #6463
kojirojames2004
Happy Heinz-O-Ween!

Just found on buycostumes.com that there will be Sailor Moon and Sailor Mars costumes. Yes, they are officially licensed. It will include a plus-size Sailor Moon costume. All the outfits will cost US $80.
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:34 AM   #6464
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Oh god those outfits D:

Unread 06-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #6465
Amidoji
Desert Chikin

I just completed my Queen Serenity costume and a finished the Princess Serenity costume that I made for my roommate.

The Queen Serenity was actually rather easy. There is a great Vogue patten that is basically her dress. I made her rather last minute as one of our group had to back out of the con. The wig is the first wig we got for the roomie's Princess Serenity, but it was too small for her head and not the greatest quality, but it was available for this last minute cosplay.

Princess Serenity was a much more complicated beast. That is about 3 dress patterns Frankenstiened together and all of them vastly altered due to the fact that no one makes plus sized patterns that anyone actually wants to wear. I did all of the work on the bodice by hand including hand beading the pearls on for her circles. I even styled the wig from an Arda Chibi and a long ponytail clip.

Care to take a look? http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3219644/
Amidoji is offline   Reply With Quote