Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
nyokun
Difficult? I'll do it!
 
nyokun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,005
Pros:
-Got my fiancee to his first AN and he loved it!
-Finally had a few more photos taken of a costume that gets little attention.
-Had a pretty good time helping people out as a Con-Aid attendant at the DT.
-Found a new interesting object to add to my collection of neat stuff.

Cons:
-Having to tell so many people not to run/do handstands in the con-space
-Seeing so many stupid people crossing Dixon, without crossing at the lights, during traffic times. Really people, the lights are about 20 feet away at the most, it's NOT going to kill you to walk a few feet and wait a couple minutes.
__________________
Quote:
Good, Cheap, or Fast
Pick any two...

If its Good and Cheap, it wont be Fast
If its Fast and Cheap, it wont be Good
If its Fast and Good it wont be Cheap
nyokun is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
chicken_lover
vi Canad..ia?
 
chicken_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyomi View Post
"HOW ARE YOU NOT DYING IN THAT?!"

Still wondering. ;p
Hahahaa...... to tell you the truth, I'm not even sure. I just paced my breathing while my helmet was on and just drank a lot of water (in replacement of not being able to eat anything :/)
__________________

Anime North '12
Let's just say... I'm going to wing it.

WIP Cosplays
Flamedramon //Digimon//


| DeviantART Account | Livestream Account |

chicken_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
MDA
Destiny Productions
 
MDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,382
I loved it like I do every year... but the only issue I had really was that I was at the DoubleTree... security doesn't listen to you when you say "my hands are full, I can't pull my key card out, but just look in my pocket!"

- I'm sorry, but if you have three bags, two boxes, a wig, and a prop in your hands... uh, yeah you can't pull stuff out >_<
__________________
Next Event:: Quinte Halloween Cosplay Day/Photoshoot VI
Knightstuck Tavros (Homestuck) [100%] or Izayoi (Inuyasha) [100%]


2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule


Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #19
stillvisions
AN Fashion Show 2013
 
stillvisions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie44442003 View Post
Ok I had a great time BUT:
(cut bit about reg)
- I lined up 4 hours early to get good seats for the masqerade when I wanted to watch the 404 show right after the masqerade we were told to leave. That is incredibly unfair how am I supposed to get into the line for the 404 when I'm in the masqerade? They are basically saying if you wish to see the 404 show you must miss the masqerade. A ton of people left after the masqerade there were plenty of seats available I don't see why I should have to give up my hard won seats.
- they should not have booked the skits and nominochi together.
To give a non-official but staff-viewpointed answer to these two points:

First one - trust me, if having to leave and re-enter an event seems unfair, imagine being unable to attend a new event because people camped out in their chairs for the previous event. Imagine you were waiting for two hours to see the 404s, and then told "sorry, you can't go in because nobody left the AMV contest" or something. Basically, we're trying to make sure as many people get to see as many "main" events as we can and to prevent "camping" in previous events, because nothing sucks more than an audience who doesn't want to be there for event X, but it stuck waiting there for event Y. This sorta goes with point 2...

...the reason we book major events against one another is because no one major event can hold a reasonable percentage of the con. In the old days, when the masq was on, 90% of the con would shut down, because the main room fit 50% of the con, and the other 50% went to dinner/party or to the "I don't like the masq" panel (no really there was one, who knows, maybe there still is one).To give you a rough idea of the scale of it, our main room holds less than 10% of the day population of the convention now - it's actually closer to 7%. Saying "no other main event can run against the masq/skit etc." means that 90% of the con can't enjoy a "major" event at the same time. Our goal is to keep the general con base happy - it's why there was an attendance cap, because we wanted to make sure we could offer folks stuff to do at the con. It's rough that people have to choose one or the other, but it's fairer than only a few people getting one, and everyone else gets nothing.

Hopefully that answers the reason why cons do that sort of thing.
__________________
-------------------------------------------
Kevin B,
2010 Event galleries | 2010 Photoshoots

Last edited by stillvisions : 05-27-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Stupid typo
stillvisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #20
davidvoyage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 73
It was a fantastic experience. Actually it's my 2nd time attending anime north (2011,2012). I like all the photoshoots and cosplays. I swear I'll start cosplaying next year!

I want to buy an anime coffee mug, but the one I'm looking for has been sold out. If you guys know where can I buy it please PM me. Thanks

Back to the topic, one of my favorite cosplayer is a girl who cosplay Nami. I was in a hurry so I lose my chance to take a photo of her...hopefully I can find her pictures here soon
davidvoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #21
Miliyah
Registered User
 
Miliyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 704
trash cans! finally!
srsly, did no one comment on that yet? o__o;;
__________________
Pop Idol Dance Showcase 2014
Miliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #22
Amaterasu
Mecha-head
 
Amaterasu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 284
Trash cans! Wow, what a NICE addition! But the one near the lights of the DoubleTree that the city was responsible for should have been bigger. It's not the province of anyone else but for the municipal pickup, but they should have expected the growing demand for a refuse bin instead of having a pile of litter nearby.

Thursday Pre-Reg ticket pickup -- what? It was a complete waste of my day and an extra hotel night.

Dealer's Room - being a cosplayer and having been asked photos in the DR, I don't think that it's a bad notion to ban camera use in this area. It does slow traffic up, and I was not considerate enough to say, "No" to people because of everyone else around me. It hadn't occurred to me, but then still - I wouldn't want to be rude to the kind person before me that just wanted a photo. In any case, some areas were cramped, but it did feel Roomier than previous years!

MODEL CONTEST - Yes, so no one cares. I know that I'm one of the 10 people that compete in it... but you know, having it in the program schedule would maybe make this number 15 or 20 contestants? Just perhaps the people in charge of the program would be kind enough to put a NOTE into the booklet instead of just a little square on the map that said TOY DISPLAY.

FF7 panel. Maybe it shouldn't have been in that room - in that hall. The line was wrapped twice around or something and snaked here-and-there. I was asked to move out of the way, but what could I do? Meld into the wall?

Myself, I was impressed with convention staff. Polite and approachable people, they were. Even Mister Sweaty Tall Man seemed to be calmer this year.

Be careful at the rave. I'm easy going and not a perfect person myself, but there are many dubious non-conventioneers going to this RAVE at night. And you know what? There was a guy who was offering us a whole spectrum of narcotics for our enjoyment and his financial benefit. I don't know what to suggest about this, really. I don't want police there, but I wanted a heads-up on what kind of people the rave brought this year.
__________________
I like little plastic robots that make things go (fictionally) boom. Do you?
Amaterasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #23
KuroiAisu
Registered User
 
KuroiAisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaterasu View Post
Be careful at the rave. I'm easy going and not a perfect person myself, but there are many dubious non-conventioneers going to this RAVE at night. And you know what? There was a guy who was offering us a whole spectrum of narcotics for our enjoyment and his financial benefit. I don't know what to suggest about this, really. I don't want police there, but I wanted a heads-up on what kind of people the rave brought this year.
Seriously? WTF. Must have been the outside rave because there were police in the indoor dances o.o They were quite on top of things. My friends and I immediately went to the bathroom when we entered and we were followed in :/ So I'm surprised someone like this didn't get caught immediately :/ UGH.

Yeah the pre-reg was a little ridiculous. I could deal with waiting 2 hours but capping the pre-reg? Seriously? You force everyone to pre-reg with an attendance cap but don't let them get their tickets? Huge waste of a hotel and damn expensive. I'd have been furious if it happened to me thursday.
__________________
お前 を レイプして 窓 から 放り投 げてやる!!
AN 2015: Selvan (Radiant Historia), Divine Dragoon Lloyd (Legend of Dragoon), Gilgamesh (FFIX)
AN 2016: Kiel (Radiant Historia), Kuja (FFIX), Kiros (FFVIII)
KuroiAisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #24
Grimmjow99
Registered User
 
Grimmjow99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 199
Also wanted to point out that there should be signs hanging above nominochi tables next year as i had a lot of trouble navigating and finding specific tables especially when it is heavily crowded.

Also events like nominochi and skits shouldn't be conflicted as it gives people a hard time to pick one over the other.

Checking in an out of my hotel at the DT was fast and quick and they even held my bags and props for a reasonable fee.

Also with the masquerade i noticed that there were still some empty seats especially at the front (there were like 7 seats in the front row reserved for media but they never showed up) there should be a specific list. number of media people who are indefinatley coming as I ended up sitting behind 2 people who wore media badges but were not doing anything media related (It was their friend)
Grimmjow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 03:20 AM   #25
jukebox
role models > supermodels
 
jukebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 637
- The rave stage setup in the TCC parking lot was not in an optimal place, in my opinion. My reasoning for saying so is because when people gathered around it for dancing/flashmobs, it would block the flow of traffic and become very obtrusive for people who wanted to walk back and forth to get to the entrances of the con.

- I am strongly in favor of implementing a "no cosplay photography in the dealer's room" rule (unless a dealer asks). It is a massive traffic block and this year was really huge, so it became an issue from what I saw. I got asked a lot for photos when I was walking around as Tifa, and I felt pretty guilty turning people down for photos because I didn't want to become a bother. People were understanding about it but I felt bad nonetheless. I think the needs of the many should be taken into consideration, and being able to walk around the DR expediently benefits everyone.

- My Thursday night was fairly straightforward because I had a group reg, which had a shorter line. But I felt for the people who were waiting around and getting frustrated! :/ Hopefully, the con will now know to put in more tables and people for Thursday night pickup. From my experiences, Weapons Check was not very expedient either.

- The garbage cans. THEY WERE WONDERFUL AND GREAT. It was so much better that I could enjoy my con without the panging guilt of having littered.

- This is a more abstract thing, but I'm really impressed by the fact that even with the event so big this year, the con staff and co-ordinators did such a great job of keeping the overall environment so accepting and positive. I feel a sense of safety and respect that I don't at most other conventions I attend and it makes AN stand out.

- The attendance cap was a good idea. It was great to see the area so well-populated, but I think having many more people in that area than there were this year would make AN a bit too claustrophobic.


As a sidebar, I'm surprised to hear people saying they liked Perkins because I had a very unpleasant experience there in 2011 that made me swear off the place. I had dinner there with a few friends on the Friday night of the con, none of us were in a big silly costume and none of us were causing a problem during dinner, and through out the entire time our waitress was extremely unpleasant. She was very short and unattentive with us when we were ordering, even arguing with some of us in a condescending way about what was on the menu. Half of us had some sort of mistake with our order (wrong drink, foods not cooked or prepared in the way people had requested), but she actively ignored and avoided our table and even pretended not to see or notice when we tried to wave at her to come over because we didn't want to make a fuss in front of everyone. She was very dismissive when our plates were taken away, didn't acknowledge anyone. My boyfriend was so offended with the service that he left a few pennies on the table as a "tip"... at this point, our waitress ran over, chased after him out of the restaurant and threw the pennies back AT him, literally yelling about how it was "LOTS OF MONEY, YOU SHOULDN'T WASTE IT!!" I was very disturbed by her behavior and as a result, I cannot recommend Perkins to any attendee of Anime North, regardless of whether this incident caused, err, "human resource adjustments" for the establishment.
__________________
SCHEDULE 2014
  • ConBravo
  • FanExpo

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #26
Otaking97
Terrible Great King
 
Otaking97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,498
While I only attended on Saturday I ACTUALLY don't really have anything bad to say.

The lineup to but the day pass went super fast! The dealers room had some decent bargains. The heat wasn't too bad. My cosplay turned out ok. Saw lots of great cosplayers......huh. Nope. Nothing bad this year.
__________________
Xbox Live - add me - Otaking Live

My HUGE ASS Anime/Manga/Figure collection:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=352110
Otaking97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
SuperBee
Jill of all trades
 
SuperBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miliyah View Post
trash cans! finally!
srsly, did no one comment on that yet? o__o;;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaterasu View Post
Trash cans! Wow, what a NICE addition! But the one near the lights of the DoubleTree that the city was responsible for should have been bigger. It's not the province of anyone else but for the municipal pickup, but they should have expected the growing demand for a refuse bin instead of having a pile of litter nearby
Yay trash cans! More importantly YAY RECYCLE BINS! I actually had a place to put my waterbottle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
- The rave stage setup in the TCC parking lot was not in an optimal place, in my opinion. My reasoning for saying so is because when people gathered around it for dancing/flashmobs, it would block the flow of traffic and become very obtrusive for people who wanted to walk back and forth to get to the entrances of the con.

- The garbage cans. THEY WERE WONDERFUL AND GREAT. It was so much better that I could enjoy my con without the panging guilt of having littered.
Yes that stage.... Friday the bass almost blew out my eardrums - while waiting in line... you couldn't really avoid it. Saturday you had to walk around the mob. And Sunday there were just some people sitting on the stage teasing/criticizing/shouting random stuff from the megaphone.... I mean come on.... They didn't think yellow Yoshi existed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaking97 View Post
The lineup to but the day pass went super fast! The dealers room had some decent bargains. The heat wasn't too bad. My cosplay turned out ok. Saw lots of great cosplayers......huh. Nope. Nothing bad this year.
I will admit I did see some bargains as well. For a while I was trying to collect the Inuyasha series but I refuse to pay like $112 for a season. I found all the seasons (that I could find which were 1, 2, and 3) for under $50 each. That's a deal for me.
__________________
When in doubt: Duct tape it.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #28
Emperor Sushi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
I think there should be a cap on how many people can go into the dealer room. I mean seriously. there are to many people in there. You can barely look at anything because your playing dodgeball with the crowed. XD lol which is why I will never cosplay an outfit that has a weapon. Free hands are better. haha it was so god damn hot. no matter where you are, its hot. the inside really needs better air conditioning, though its a big place so it probably did have it on. That was my only prob. I wish I could of stayed longer on saturday but it was way to hot. my face was burning up. I'm pretty sure everyone got sun burns that day.
__________________
Anime North 2013
One Piece - Heart Pirate Crew Member "Penguin" 50%
Emperor Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #29
DireKitty
Captain Kittens
 
DireKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
- The rave stage setup in the TCC parking lot was not in an optimal place, in my opinion. My reasoning for saying so is because when people gathered around it for dancing/flashmobs, it would block the flow of traffic and become very obtrusive for people who wanted to walk back and forth to get to the entrances of the con.

- I am strongly in favor of implementing a "no cosplay photography in the dealer's room" rule (unless a dealer asks). It is a massive traffic block and this year was really huge, so it became an issue from what I saw. I got asked a lot for photos when I was walking around as Tifa, and I felt pretty guilty turning people down for photos because I didn't want to become a bother. People were understanding about it but I felt bad nonetheless. I think the needs of the many should be taken into consideration, and being able to walk around the DR expediently benefits everyone.
Agreed. The rave should have been moved to the other side of the entrance or moved into the parking lot that they had blocked off. It really impeded the flow of traffic. As did that ice cream truck.

Yeah dealers room stuff. I'm going to bring this up for next year. I'm sure a rule wouldn't outright stop it (we only have so many people wandering around) - but with enough discouragement hopefully it won't be so common. Especially with so many people at the convention, things are just more crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
- My Thursday night was fairly straightforward because I had a group reg, which had a shorter line. But I felt for the people who were waiting around and getting frustrated! :/ Hopefully, the con will now know to put in more tables and people for Thursday night pickup. From my experiences, Weapons Check was not very expedient either.
Weapons check is a slow process. I stood in the line with a friend. I could have skipped to the head of the line, but then I would have found other things to worry over, and i'd feel like a douche doing it (nothing was critical on thursday night since the person i wanted to talk to was MIA and my signs couldn't be found). I don't mind lines as long as there are cool people to talk with. I even have a special card game for people when there's a really long line thats slow moving.

The line at PAX is like 3 hours long, if you get there early. Lots of magic/random card games ensued.

There is only a few people that can do weapons check - i'm sure they would be open to having more people join them to help out with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
- The garbage cans. THEY WERE WONDERFUL AND GREAT. It was so much better that I could enjoy my con without the panging guilt of having littered.
The TCC finally got it right this time. I even saw people going around and sweeping up during the con. No piles of trash all day Sunday!

One thing for next year, I'd like the TCC to block off that route into the TCC that cars sometimes sneak into. Fire trucks can get in from the main entrance so blocking off the one from the harvey's/subway parking lot would help stop random people from using that strip road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
- This is a more abstract thing, but I'm really impressed by the fact that even with the event so big this year, the con staff and co-ordinators did such a great job of keeping the overall environment so accepting and positive. I feel a sense of safety and respect that I don't at most other conventions I attend and it makes AN stand out.

- The attendance cap was a good idea. It was great to see the area so well-populated, but I think having many more people in that area than there were this year would make AN a bit too claustrophobic.
Yay, and agreed. If we get a downpour all those people will need to go somewhere!

Everyone seemed happy this year. I polled a bunch of people sunday and got very few complaints - and those I did get were all about stuff AN couldn't change (shitty friends, ATM machines, TCC smoking areas, weather etc). Plus the photoshoots seemed bigger and better this year! Yay back of the pocket book!
__________________
Anime North Cosplay Photoshoots Staff
Kayle - League of Legends
Official Anime North Forums

Anime North Reddit Community

Last edited by DireKitty : 05-28-2012 at 08:26 AM.
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #30
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman
 
Ani_BEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,423
"no cosplay photography in the dealer's room" would be impossible to enforce. But as cosplayer I just choice to avoid the dealers room on Saturday out of a fear of getting photo mobbed and over crowding in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiAisu View Post
Yeah the pre-reg was a little ridiculous. I could deal with waiting 2 hours but capping the pre-reg? Seriously? You force everyone to pre-reg with an attendance cap but don't let them get their tickets? Huge waste of a hotel and damn expensive. I'd have been furious if it happened to me thursday.
Yes the pre-reg they had closed on Thursday but opened it back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
- My Thursday night was fairly straightforward because I had a group reg, which had a shorter line. But I felt for the people who were waiting around and getting frustrated! :/ Hopefully, the con will now know to put in more tables and people for Thursday night pickup. From my experiences, Weapons Check was not very expedient either.
I was very happy to do Weapons Check on Thursday as the line for it on Friday was always much much longer wait.

I’m much rather do it on Thursday when I have nothing better to do.




The panel crowd control volunteers were new and great to have on hand for the upper level of the DT. I was part of 4 panels in that area and it was fairly easy for me to get in to the rooms without trying to weave my way through.
__________________


Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)


Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride


For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.