Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 05-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #31
LugiaP2K
Shaman King Cosplayer

Pros:
-The restaurant/room service staff at the Radission was great. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and cheerful. Same with the server we had at the Doubletree restaurant on Saturday night. And the server we had at Swiss Chalet on Friday afternoon (mind you this was when the restaurant was still empty and the rush hadn't arrived yet). And the one at Kelseys on Sunday afternoon (hey, I figure give credit where it's due).

-Seeing so many recycling bins out around the TCC was nice for a change. Not nearly as much garbage lying around.

-Not having as many people screaming directions/orders at all of the attendees. I hardly noticed any, and people seemed to be more relaxed because of it.

-Having the hot dog vendor set up right outside of the TCC loading docks was a good idea. That way people could still grab something to eat without having to wait to get inside.

-Having space in the Dealer's Room for people to step aside and relax for a few minutes.

-Having the few people that did recognize my Suikoden cosplay say they loved it/first one they had ever seen/etc.

Cons:
-Yeah, I'm agreeing with the whole pre-registration thing. My Dad and I drove down to the Doubletree on Thursday night at about 7:30 and the line was capped when we arrived. They said we could just hang around in the lobby area by the pool to see if it would reopen (not in a line mind you, just a mob of people). Seeing as how I wasn't about to hang around for two hours (I was still finishing costume stuff) we left and drove the 40 mins back home. Yay.

Friday wasn't much better. Joined the massive line around 4:45 and got our badges about 7:30. It was insane. At least the Weapon's Check line only took about 5 mins to get through afterwards though.

They really need to look into a better way of distributing the passes since it's likely going to be pre-reg only for weekend/Saturday passes (I saw that the line was huge for those as well) from now on. Either mailing them out, or having numerous pick-up days/times before the convention.

-The Radission. We first tried checking in at about 1:30 on Friday (we had a Business Class room booked with early check-in if available). Were told that they didn't have a business room ready and to come back at 3. Okay, that was fine, so we went for lunch and came back just after 3. The line for check-in was insane. It wasn't 'that' long (maybe only 5-6 groups in front of us) but it took forever to check them in. Once we actually got up to the front desk we were told they didn't have any business rooms left. Now, I had only booked the business room because that's what was left, but aren't you supposed to get the room you booked (excluding special requests and whatnot)? So, we were downgraded to a regular room. I guess they had over-booked/upgraded too many other rooms, but it does make me wonder what they would have done if we had showed up late (the room was guaranteed for such on my credit card) and they didn't have 'any' rooms left.

-Having a few cars trying to drive through the crowds/photoshoot locations probably wasn't the safest thing in the world.

-Sweating more in the 4 hours I was wearing Chris then I have combined in my entire life. And not being able to really sit while dressed as her. Or bend down.

Anime North 2014 (May 23-25)

Yoh Asakura (Shaman King)
Hao Asakura (Shaman King)

Last edited by LugiaP2K : 05-28-2012 at 09:32 AM.
LugiaP2K is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #32
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaP2K View Post

-Having a few cars trying to drive through the crowds/photoshoot locations probably wasn't the safest thing in the world.
Indeed. They had a line there on Friday.... half way down it. I wasn't sure what that was supposed to accomplish. I'd rather they block off the one end if possible. I'm going to look into that for next year.

I'm not sure if it's an issue of fire routes or what - but i highly doubt trucks will come in from that one end anyways....

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #33
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Every year it was blocked so I'm not sure why this year they opened it and had the chain divider for half the road for traffic.

Also found it interesting how my people were trying to get into the build through the front of the TCC. It has never been open for AN simple because it a much nicer/classy space they like to maintain for special events (think award ceremonies) and is it not connected to the rest of the building.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 05-28-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #34
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

DireKitty - I don't know if it's important or not but Saturday during the FF photoshoot (forgot the number of the location but it was by the parking lot by the trees. We had to move further down due to the massive size of cosplayers and photographers (one photographer said that where the sun was at didn't provide sufficient light anyway) so we moved slightly over to the hill on that side by the tower. I don't know if that location should be used for massive cosplay photoshoots.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #35
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

^I was surprised by people choosing NOT to use the larger TCC3 front lawn for the photoshoot as that area was left empty this for half the time that day.

It was up to the photoshoot organizer to pick a location and time. Admitted Homestuck took that location on Friday for a good reason but 5pm and 7pm was open in stead of making it for 6pm on Friday at the TCC2.

Also adverting on the back page the photoshoot listing AND MAP of events is really helpful as most of us are "offline" during the con.

FanEXPO

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 05-28-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #36
no-more-thread
Rabbits riding Motorcycle

BEST ANIME NORTH EVER!!!!!!
The pre-reg line on Friday sucked, but I was expecting it since we didnt get to the con till around 5. After that though, 2012 was the best one I've been to since I started going 8 years ago. All the attendents were super respectful and no one tried to touch/grab me. I felt there were so many more cosplayers then the last few years which was awesome and I actually got to see and participate in everything that I wanted to! (minus a panal i missed on friday due to traffic and the long line, but hey, i was sort of expecting it). I honestly can not express how awesome this AN was, so many awesome people and costumes!
no-more-thread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #37
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
DireKitty - I don't know if it's important or not but Saturday during the FF photoshoot (forgot the number of the location but it was by the parking lot by the trees. We had to move further down due to the massive size of cosplayers and photographers (one photographer said that where the sun was at didn't provide sufficient light anyway) so we moved slightly over to the hill on that side by the tower. I don't know if that location should be used for massive cosplay photoshoots.
I just asked for numbers for those shoots. Seems some volunteers missed the huge group. Hell some missed Hetalia and Homestuck.... :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
^I was surprised by people choosing NOT to use the larger TCC3 front lawn for the photoshoot as that area was left empty this for half the time that day.

It was up to the photoshoot organizer to pick a location and time. Admitted Homestuck took that location on Friday for a good reason but 5pm and 7pm was open in stead of making it for 6pm on Friday at the TCC2.
TCC 3 grows and shrinks (and gets hidden) depending on the ice cream trucks. Its not an ideal location for a big shoot because it's not terribly reliable. If it was moved down more it would be more reliable. There did appear to be less trucks this year as well. It's a love/hate spot as the sun can make photos turn out shitty there. TCC 4, TCC 7 and TCC 1 are the only spots with good tree coverage. TCC 7 lost about 50% of its space due to TCC making those big uh, thingys.
I'm going to post a thread in a bit and try and get spot suggestions for next year.

Where Hetalia moved to on Sunday may work.

Last edited by DireKitty : 05-28-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #38
Miliyah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaterasu View Post
MODEL CONTEST - Yes, so no one cares. I know that I'm one of the 10 people that compete in it... but you know, having it in the program schedule would maybe make this number 15 or 20 contestants? Just perhaps the people in charge of the program would be kind enough to put a NOTE into the booklet instead of just a little square on the map that said TOY DISPLAY.
yikes, and i thought having my dance showcase event shortened to Pop Idol Showcase in the pocketbook programming was bad o__o;;
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #39
Dart:Dense Boy
Horses+Cosplay=Poor

I had a pretty laid back AN this year - mostly due to scrapping my Masquerade costume on Wednesday. It was great to see everyone and a huge shout out to everyone who popped by Con-G's table

The lines were pretty bad this year but from my understanding it's a company that does the pre-reg so they couldn't stay later than 9 pm on Friday night to sign people in. Next year I'm sure they'll be on top of that

A little disappointed with not being able to get into a few of the events we wanted to go see because there were lines like 2 hr ahead of some of the events. Meh need to plan my schedule better next year haha.

I had fun as a stand in stage ninja for the ReBoot skit on Friday night - you guys rocked! And of course hotel fun :P and of course running around as a Raptor was the highlight of the weekend - sorry to anyone I surprises by popping out at them! (Although I have a huge bruise on my neck from my rigging when someone close-lined me with a hug >.<)

I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with some of the con attendees this year. I've been trying to get my fiance to come to AN FOR YEARS!! and this year he decided to just come up and meet me for dinner and check out some of the costumes and get an idea if he'd like to come back next year. We get back to his car after a very positive experience at AN only to find 3 people SITTING ON HIS CAR!! And giving us a hard time after we confronted them about sitting on the car.

To the Loki cosplayer and her group - thanks for making this AN my fiance first and last one.

*Never judge anyone until you've walked a mile in their cosplay shoes :P* Those things are painful!
Dart:Dense Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #40
GroundControl
Tash-la

The weapons check line on Friday was not as efficient this year as it has been in previous years. When I went, there were only three people checking props and weapons when it was at least double that last year. A couple more people doing the checking would have been better.

In previous years they had also had the programs bagged already when you registered instead of having a long assembly line to pass through to get your bag and your schedule. Someone at the line passed me a bag that wasn't opened when I was carrying a large prop (this was just before getting in line for weapons check). I understand that this assembly process may help things move faster since it is separate from the registration desk, but I started to hold up the line because I couldn't open my bag to carry my schedule. A very friendly staff member came up to me and helped me open the bag. Having the schedule pre-bagged or making sure the bags were open would have been better, but overall this isn't a huge complaint.

Clearing the room after the Masquerade for the 404s show was understandable but badly managed. In previous years, people were allowed to stay in the room after the masquerade in order to watch the 404s so we expected that this year would be the same. Having the people at the masquerade desk mention this when getting the wristbands for the masquerade would have been a nice heads up.
Also, instead of completely clearing the room, what they could have done was had everyone who was at the masquerade move to the back of the room temporarily while the line for the 404s filed in. This way it wouldn't be so clustered getting out the door and getting through the hall to get into the back of the 404s line. After the 404s line filed in, people from the masquerade could get the remaining seats. Moving people back and forth was time-consuming and unnecessary.
I don't know if it was the line for the 404s or not (I suspect it was since there was a lot of shouting of "IMPROV"), but whoever was outside the masquerade was very noisy and distracting. They should have the doors closed or have people reminding those outside to be courteous of the show going on in the next room.

If the masquerade and 404s show is scheduled like this next year (with having to clear the room to get in the 404s line), then what is going to happen is that people will go to the masquerade and leave partway through to get in the 404s line. This will be disrupting for the performers and the audience. Whoever is in charge of the scheduling, the masquerade, or the 404s performance should keep this in mind when organizing these events next year. It is unfair for those participating in the masquerade to have a chunk of the audience leave.

Things that were fantastic:
-garbage cans/recycling bins
-the staff and volunteers (they seemed very friendly and helpful this year)
-the costumes! I was especially impressed by the Novice costumes in the masquerade. They were amazing.
-the artists in the Artists Alley (I got to talk to a few this year and they were awesome)
-the con in general (I always have a great time and this was no exception. There are always nit-picky things that I think could be done better, but I do love this con and it's always a lot of fun).
GroundControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #41
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart:Dense Boy View Post
I had a pretty laid back AN this year - mostly due to scrapping my Masquerade costume on Wednesday. It was great to see everyone and a huge shout out to everyone who popped by Con-G's table

The lines were pretty bad this year but from my understanding it's a company that does the pre-reg so they couldn't stay later than 9 pm on Friday night to sign people in. Next year I'm sure they'll be on top of that

A little disappointed with not being able to get into a few of the events we wanted to go see because there were lines like 2 hr ahead of some of the events. Meh need to plan my schedule better next year haha.

I had fun as a stand in stage ninja for the ReBoot skit on Friday night - you guys rocked! And of course hotel fun :P and of course running around as a Raptor was the highlight of the weekend - sorry to anyone I surprises by popping out at them! (Although I have a huge bruise on my neck from my rigging when someone close-lined me with a hug >.<)

I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with some of the con attendees this year. I've been trying to get my fiance to come to AN FOR YEARS!! and this year he decided to just come up and meet me for dinner and check out some of the costumes and get an idea if he'd like to come back next year. We get back to his car after a very positive experience at AN only to find 3 people SITTING ON HIS CAR!! And giving us a hard time after we confronted them about sitting on the car.

To the Loki cosplayer and her group - thanks for making this AN my fiance first and last one.
Wish I could have been there to rip up their badges in front of them.

Unread 05-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #42
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Pre-Regged for sure with $20 in hand. ^_^

Quote:

People are entitled idiots and sadly this is isn't AN fault (same shit happens at most cons but it sucks when it's your first time). It why I do like FanExpo because the maturely level is a little higher as the population is a lot more older but less cosplayers for it, but it doesn't mean that Hobby Star has done everything right. AN is still my favorite but there are reason why I still go back to FanExpo.

FanEXPO

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 05-28-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Unread 05-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #43
Pasiphilo
Life Imitating Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Pre-Regged for sure with $20 in hand. ^_^
Same here - Con-G is my favorite "smaller" convention, which I've now attended twice, and I highly recommend it to anyone here.
Pasiphilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #44
Seena-Cha
Cosplay Guru of Love

The con itself i didnt have any problems. I thought it was pretty decent.
The lineup for friday went pretty quick i thought and i dont have to complain too much about that.
Nominochi itself should have been put in a bigger area. There was ALOT of people in that area, it was very crowded.
We just had roommate issues and other people issues.
but overall i had alot of fun (: I look forward to next year though.

TBA
Seena-Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #45
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Actually the Nominochi centre aisle space was rather small compared to the perimeter aisle. a bit of a extra space in the aisles would have helped the over crowding.

FanEXPO

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.