Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #211
RiotGirl

I have one, though it's not from a con...
I was at a dance my uni's swing club was hosting, and the theme was 1920's. My hair at the time was long, and it's very straight and thin, so I wore a short bob wig. I didn't even really style the thing, just pulled it out of the bag and plopped it on my head. All night people asked me about my hair, and when the dance was over one of the band members ran up to me and asked about it. I had to take the thing off to prove it was a wig, and saw another band member grudgingly hand over money. I think I was the source of a bet!
RiotGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #212
Kitsune
Turk in a Skirt

I love these stories! XD

I was filming at a park a few months ago for a video for a convention stage show. I was dressed as Esper-form Terra, the design you see in Dissidia. My friend did an AMAZING job with the wig. I haven't gotten photos yet, but if you look at the images from the game, she got it spot-on. I looked like a purple Thundercat, the wig was so huge and perfect.

I got a lot of fun comments, but while I was up filming, a group of kids had come over to some of the actors who weren't in the scene and started talking to them. One of the actors was portraying Terra, and was using her real hair. One of the girls apparently pointed to me and asked if I had managed to do that with my real hair. Terra said yes, convinced all the others that it was my hair, and then told them that she had a wig on. I came back and laughed so hard when she told me that.

On a similar note but on the flipside... back in 2007, I was cast as Zoicite in another convention stage show. The director wanted me to get a wig even though my hair was almost Zoicite's hair, just a little darker and naturally straight. I agreed to it and got a wig. Well, the wig came, and though I got strawberry blonde, it was almost my exact same shade. I put it on, went to rehearsals, and no one noticed for almost an hour. Then one of my friends started trolling everyone by coming up to me, pretending to fight, and then yanking off my "hair." It was dubbed the worst disguise ever and came to be known as the Samma wig.

2009 I was cast as Sophia Forrester, who has my exact same shade of hair, but no bangs. So, yep, got another Samma wig. Then I got Ryoko Mitsurugi the following year, and even though I had done her school girl uniform for years and years with my own hair, I bought a wig (though that time I went with cartoonish red). Then I was finally cast as someone with short blonde hair and no one made fun of me for buying that wig.
Friday: Scootaloo (MLP:FiM), Darya "Dasha" Alkaev (Orlandia); Saturday: Dasha, Ryoko Mitsurugi; Sunday: Zubat (Pokemon Snap panel), Dasha

Last edited by Kitsune : 01-28-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:39 AM   #213
AnimeGuru06
Kimu-chan

Before heading to last years AnimeBoston. My friends and I stopped off at Asian markets to stock up on treats. I was wearing my Axel Wig. The guy at the cash register kept eyeing us and when we were ready to check out he asked me how I got my hair to stay like that. I simply told him it was a wig, and that I wished I could have hair like this.

Picture of new designed wig: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Ursula(Little Mermaid)-0% done

AnimeBoston '12 Security Staff
AnimeGuru06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #214
Swipex

I get asked this so much. xP

Right now my hair is over two feet long and when I get it all combed and straightened and all prettyful I always get the "OMG IS THAT YOUR REAL HAIR, GIRL?" and gentle test-tugs. lol I need a trim.
Swipex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #215
Shimi
Zombie the Hedgehog

When I dyed my hair black, my sister told me that it looked like a wig... It's weird that I don't remember anyone saying that to me when my hair was green. o.0

hi.
Shimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #216
sumoose
Sarah

I often get the real hair question whenever I'm in one of my (many) blonde wigs.
.. my little brother asked me too, after I came back from a three day con still in a short blond wig
(not the brightest bulb)
Jade Harley (3AM Dress) (Sunday)
sumoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #217
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

A kid in my English class had a spazz attack when I wore my Hartia wig to school (it can be seen in my profile.) He thought it was my real hair.

My real hair is the color of Peanut butter and about halfway down my back. My Hartia wig comes to the base of my neck and is crimson.

Also, we were reading Macbeth in class later that week and since I had to play Macbeth in one scene, I borrowed my friend's Boy-short black wig. It's a really comfortable wig and I forgot I had it on and wore it to my next class. A bunch of people thought it was my real hair, Some of which have classes with me earlier in the day. When they asked, I wanted to say "Yes, I cut and dyed my hair in the bathroom during lunch." Really people?
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #218
XxChibiArtistxX
Megaweenie Extraordinaire

Sort of the opposite of this, but I remember 2 years ago at Anime Boston, my friend cosplayed Hungary from APH. She has really pretty natural curly brown hair, so she didn't wear a wig. All day long, people kept asking her where she got her 'wig' and touching her hair XD It was hilarious

Possible 2013 Cosplays
Velvet Squiddleknit Rose LalondeFem!GamzeeGod Tier Roxy LalondeJack Frost

TumblrTwitter
XxChibiArtistxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #219
usuyukisou

My natural hair is a dark brown-grey colour and very straight.

Last Halloween, I wore my Classe DeepBlue06 70 cm straight wig as part of a simple costume. No one gave any indication that they noticed my hair got shorter or that I didn't have my usual side part or that I suddenly had blue-ish hair. To be fair, Classe turns out great products and I bought that wig because it looked like a more natural "black" than the real black, and was using it as "so black it gives the illusion of blue" type colour. The next day, my hair was shorter even than the wig --- I'd had to cut my really, really long hair to fit it under the wig even with Classe's generous size... So in the time span of a day and a half, my hair basically got progressively shorter by 18 inches or so, and no one noticed.

I am SO sorely tempted to grab a white wig, bleach my eyebrows, and go to class like that in the Fall quarter, since I know I'll have at least 1 new instructor who's never seen me before... and when she's going through attendance on the first day, I'll tell her wryly that Summer Session was a tad bit stressful so I'd pulled a Marie Antoinette.
Unread 06-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #220
13Diamonds
.Limitless Disguise.

I have a story, though it's kinda opposite. When I used to have my pink hair a year ago (as you can see in my profile icon) people always asked me if it was my real hair or if I was wearing a wig. I always just laughed, tugged on my hair and was like no, it's my real hair.

Or when I got the people who did ask "If that your real hair?" And I'm all yeah I was born with pink hair. -_-

The thing that always got me is when they asked the stupid question of "Why did you dye it pink?" or they would ask me mom "You let her dye it pink?!" And we are like "yeah what's the difference of you dying you hair blonde?" which is true ha! it shouldn't matter what color your hair is!

People are clueless sometimes haha xD

Attending Cons
Shuto Con 2014
GoDaiko Con 2014
Youmacon 2014

.L i m i t l e s s D i s g u i s e.
facebook.com/LimitlessDisguise

Last edited by 13Diamonds : 06-03-2012 at 05:46 PM.
13Diamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #221
singleperfectio
Hey its me!

I get that with my Italy wig because the color suits me. Plus once I've worn it for about an hour it settles out and looses that weird part it has in the front on my profile picture.

Attending -
Katsucon *FEB* - Hiccup (how to Train Your Dragon), Austria (Hetalia), Rose Tyler (Dr Who)
Zenkaikon *MARCH*- Hiccup, Austria, Finland (scandinavia and the World), PJ!Ukraine (Hetalia - original design), Sherlock (BBC's Sherlock)
Anime Weekend Atlanta *Sep* - Medusa (Soul Eater), Yuuka (Touhou Project), Ukraine or Belarus (Hetalia)

Possibly -
Anime Next *JUNE*
Otakon *AUG*
singleperfectio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #222
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuyukisou View Post
I am SO sorely tempted to grab a white wig, bleach my eyebrows, and go to class like that in the Fall quarter, since I know I'll have at least 1 new instructor who's never seen me before... and when she's going through attendance on the first day, I'll tell her wryly that Summer Session was a tad bit stressful so I'd pulled a Marie Antoinette.
Do it!

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #223
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

My hair was being particularly annoying on Friday and I had my Shinjuro Kurama wig with me for an after school cosplay meeting, so I went to the bathroom in my journalism class and came back with short reddish-brown hair. This on kid looks up from his computer and says "I thought your hair was a different color?"

Me: "Yes, I cut and died my hair in the bathroom in a span of 5 minutes XD"
Him: "Well I didn't look at your hair today!"

And you've never seen my hair before that?
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #224
Talossa
We try hardcore!

My normal hair color is medium-dark brown, and at the time it was down to my elbows. I was coming back from a con once, where I had been cosplaying as Finland (who has very, very pale blond hair, cut short), and my hair under the wig was just such a mess (frizzy, sticking up at funny angles from the braids I'd stuck it in, etc.) that I kept the wig on to hide it until I got home.

I walked in, and one of my housemates literally SQUEALED, and ran up to me saying, "Ohmigod I LOVE what you did with your hair! I told you it would look good blonde! OMG where did you get it done?!"

He was really saddened when I told him it was just a wig...
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #225
Miss-Kagamine

a few months a go a friend and i cosplayed as Kagamine rin and Hatsune Miku to school for this event thing(you could dress up) One of the teachers thought that my Rin was my real hair, she freaked out, wondering why i had dyed my hair blonde and when i decided to do and that it looked nice, than i told her it was a wig, she was so relieved lol.
Miss-Kagamine is offline   Reply With Quote