Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #166
rosie44442003
Just call me Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Considering the 404's have always been after the Masquerade (are extremely popular as well) getting a wrist band for that event as well might be a good idea. That way the people with a wrist band for the Masquerade that also watched AMV can stay, and the ones that got a wrist band for the 404's after the Masquerade can stay in the room as well.

It's also a way to cap the room attendance, as the line is always quite long for the 404's and guarantees seating for those that took the time to get a wrist band. By the time those that have a wrist band are seated any extras spots can be filled with the people that missed getting one.
Thank you finally a decent solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyrean View Post
who waited in a crowded line for over 2 hours while you got to watch the masquerade - an event you were guaranteed a seat for as long as you had a wrist band i might add.
Seriously I hope AN never becomes the kind of event that requires seat camping or any sort of VIP pass just to see an event.
Lightweight I waited 4 hours for my seats.
Saturday-Leafa from Sword Art Online
Sunday-More Steampunk

Last edited by Angathol : 05-31-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: merging posts
rosie44442003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #167
Attentea
cosplay addicted newbie

I found the panels to be really great this year. I did appreciate how the panel staff in the hallway were keeping everything very orderly, but at the same time that came back to bite me when I was denied a seat in a panel I really wanted to attend because I didn't realize there was already a line up for it. The panels definitely need bigger rooms. There were so many I wanted to go to but couldn't get it because I attended a different panel right before it and the line was already full for the next one.

Also, on the topics of panels, this one panelist, Michelle, who did both the Kingdom Hearts panel and the Legend of Zelda panel on saturday (dressed as link), she was AMAZING! I only wish I wrote down what her full name was (she mentioned it) because I'd love to find her on facebook talk to her more about KH and zelda stuff. If she's doing any panels next year I will be there.

~Attentea~

Working on:
Celes (FF6), FOnewearl (PSO)

Future Cosplays:
Ralts (pokemon), Bellossom (pokemon)

Attentea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #168
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attentea View Post
I found the panels to be really great this year. I did appreciate how the panel staff in the hallway were keeping everything very orderly, but at the same time that came back to bite me when I was denied a seat in a panel I really wanted to attend because I didn't realize there was already a line up for it. The panels definitely need bigger rooms. There were so many I wanted to go to but couldn't get it because I attended a different panel right before it and the line was already full for the next one.

Also, on the topics of panels, this one panelist, Michelle, who did both the Kingdom Hearts panel and the Legend of Zelda panel on saturday (dressed as link), she was AMAZING!
Sadly we can't magically make the rooms bigger - would be super nice with 20k people though. The few bigger rooms we try and keep the in demand panels in as well (or workshopy panels where tables are useful) - although as far as I know we have not utilized the front of the TCC yet, so maybe more space there as well.

Also, if you really liked Michelle's stuff, we do offer just before the con on the teahouse forums (panel section) a thread that shows which panels people are doing so you can panel stalk them.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #169
darth_horo
This is my scary face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar416 View Post
I also got the room at $135 a night. Just mention Anime North and you'll get it at that rate. I wanted two double beds, but they were sold out of those ones, so I got the 1 king non-smoking.

I can't believe the Radisson is almost selling out so fast! It hasn't even been 3 days since AN 2012. The AN website hasn't even posted the dates for AN2013 yet! I'm pretty sure it's May 24-26 though.

For anyone looking for the Radisson next year, book it now!
What :v... already?

Fan Expo 2013:
First Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Anime North Cosplay 2014:
First Costume: Dark Angel's Space Marine - Warhammer 40k: 0%
Second Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Quote:
"To me guardsmen, to me! This is your last stand! No doubts, NO FEAR." - Commissar Lord Bernn
darth_horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #170
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_horo View Post
What :v... already?
Rad is full already. People were trying to book the Sunday, but they didn't take reservations until the Monday.

Double Tree takes longer to book up though (not taking reservations yet)

Should I make a hotel thread? lol, seems so early to do such a thing

Unread 05-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #171
Miliyah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
Should I make a hotel thread? lol, seems so early to do such a thing
hows it too early if one of the hotels is already booked solid? xD
anywho, i would've done it but i have no idea where on teahouse to put it x__X
oh and i dont think im dedicated enough to do that lol
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #172
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miliyah View Post
hows it too early if one of the hotels is already booked solid? xD
anywho, i would've done it but i have no idea where on teahouse to put it x__X
oh and i dont think im dedicated enough to do that lol
Hmm, yeah I guess it wouldn't be kosher to put it here anymore as these forums are heavily moderated. The US forums even have sub forums for hotel stuff.

Ahh, no point using the teahouse now as it's gonna be torn down for a new forum to be launched.

Unread 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #173
rosie44442003
Just call me Rosie

Quote:
Hmm, yeah I guess it wouldn't be kosher to put it here anymore as these forums are heavily moderated. The US forums even have sub forums for hotel stuff.

Ahh, no point using the teahouse now as it's gonna be torn down for a new forum to be launched.
I've been using the hotel forum for this year I figure they won't shut down what's already been started. Some others have been posting there to.
Saturday-Leafa from Sword Art Online
Sunday-More Steampunk
rosie44442003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #174
GoddessDigi
Mommy of 2

Yeah, I called a few hours ago asking DT (even though we got a room at the Rad, hubby REALLY wants DT lol), and there`s nothing, yet.
GoddessDigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #175
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
Yeah, I called a few hours ago asking DT (even though we got a room at the Rad, hubby REALLY wants DT lol), and there`s nothing, yet.
Yeah i'll give a call tomorrow and see.

Unread 05-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #176
Miliyah

oh right another thing..
anyone happened to go into the subway on friday evening..?
i still have no idea why my eyes were burning. im stuck between 'someones chopping onions in the back' and 'smoke from the ovens'
:\
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #177
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miliyah View Post
oh right another thing..
anyone happened to go into the subway on friday evening..?
i still have no idea why my eyes were burning. im stuck between 'someones chopping onions in the back' and 'smoke from the ovens'
:\
I wasn't in there, but I worked at a Subway for 2 months, and I know that when the herb breads are being baked, about 5 minutes before they're finished, the oils in the herbs start to burn before the bread itself is done and its actually a very irritating smell in the air... that could have been it? I imagine they'd be baking non stop AN weekend and those tend to be the more popular breads but are baked in smaller batches at most Subways :S
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #178
Pirate Queen
What's up, hot lady?

Overall I had a really good weekend and got some good merchandise at the dealers room. However, I do have some complaints.

I was not impressed with the volunteers at the Jpop dance who were extremely rude to both my group and another couple that was ahead of us. They were also openly discussing (and laughing) about how much money the convention was making off of all the unsuspecting people who were paying to leave their cameras in coat check. I was extremely baffled myself as to why this was occurring considering in my 7 years of attending Anime North I have never once been told I wasn't allowed to bring a camera into the Jpop dance. I found it slightly ridiculous they expected people to leave expensive camera's in coat check.

If this was going to be a new policy, people should have been made aware prior to the dance. Maybe in the program book? Or have posted signs about it. As a staff member I didn't even hear anything about it at the meetings. Unless I missed something.

In terms of the camera's being potentially banned because of people swinging them around. I think that is really silly considering I see a lot of people wearing large cosplays to the dance. For instance there was one guy wearing giant wings and I was hit twice in the head with them. If anything should be banned it should be large cosplays that cause a hindrance to people who are dancing. I love taking pictures of myself and friends having a great time at the dance. So I was really disappointed.

To top it off when I pulled my phone out to check a text message I was yelled at by another volunteer, "Put that away, no pictures allowed! If your told again you will be kicked out!" I calmly told him it was a cellphone and he said it doesn't matter. I put my phone away only to see several other people beside me using their cellphones to take pictures and this particular volunteer said nothing to them.

The bass was also irritating during what I think was the guest DJ's set. A lot of the songs sounded the same and got really repetitive.

To say the least I was extremely put off and left the dance for the out door rave.

The only other hiccups to my weekend were during Karaoke the A/V volunteer couldn't get our equipment to work and we were behind about half an hour. Which had to make up for by staying later. This had never happened before and we were all really confused as to why it wasn't working. We got a lot of positive feedback at Karaoke about it being fun and I will work hard this year to have a brand new and updated song list. If people have song's they want to see or have some they can send me please drop me a PM.

The heat was also annoying and I didn't stay in my Little Sister cosplay as long as I would have wanted. Other then that I had a really good time and liked the increased space in the dealers room.

-------
Anime North 2012
Little Sister, Bioshock 2
Terra Branford 2.0, Final Fantasy
Pirate Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #179
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Queen View Post
They were also openly discussing (and laughing) about how much money the convention was making off of all the unsuspecting people who were paying to leave their cameras in coat check.
Wat

Also if a volunteer yelled at me and threatened to kick me out of a dance for using my cell phone, I would have asked to speak to the head of their group and given them a piece of my mind.
Just because you are volunteering doesn't mean your ego should grow to be 3X its normal size.

Last edited by DireKitty : 05-31-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #180
Pirate Queen
What's up, hot lady?

Quote:
Wat

Also if a volunteer yelled at me and threatened to kick me out of a dance for using my cell phone, I would have asked to speak to the head of their group and given them a piece of my mind.
Just because you are volunteering doesn't mean your ego should grow to be 3X its normal size.
Yes! My friends were all asking me if this was true after they heard it. I didn't know what to say to them. I was really shocked and upset. But my boyfriend being the level headed one, calmed me down and we just left the dance before I got into a fight with someone. But you hit it on the nose, he was acting like he was so important and better then everyone. The people who were in front of us were concerned about how safe it was to leave their mother's camera with coat check and he barked at them that it wasn't his problem. Either leave it or go back to the hotel.

-------
Anime North 2012
Little Sister, Bioshock 2
Terra Branford 2.0, Final Fantasy
Pirate Queen is offline   Reply With Quote