Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 05-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #181
Attentea
cosplay addicted newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
Sadly we can't magically make the rooms bigger - would be super nice with 20k people though. The few bigger rooms we try and keep the in demand panels in as well (or workshopy panels where tables are useful) - although as far as I know we have not utilized the front of the TCC yet, so maybe more space there as well.

Also, if you really liked Michelle's stuff, we do offer just before the con on the teahouse forums (panel section) a thread that shows which panels people are doing so you can panel stalk them.
Yea I'm aware that the rooms can't be any bigger then they already are. I just remember two years ago when I went, people packed into the panel rooms so that more people could attend. Standing/sitting in the isles and everything. But I guess that was too much of a fire hazard to allow again.

~Attentea~

Working on:
Celes (FF6), FOnewearl (PSO)

Future Cosplays:
Ralts (pokemon), Bellossom (pokemon)

Last edited by Attentea : 05-31-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Attentea is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #182
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attentea View Post
Yea I'm aware that the rooms can't be any bigger then they already are. I just remember two years ago when I went, people packed into the panel rooms so that more people could attend. Standing/sitting in the isles and everything. But I guess that was too much of a fire hazard to allow again.

By chance does that forum still list the names of the panelist from this past anime north or have those posts/lists been deleted already on the teahouse forums?
Yeah fire hazard and the like. Wasn't as big of an issue before, and we didn't have the volunteers to really deal with it but now it is, and now we have them.

Also, at your service!

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #183
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Queen View Post
I was not impressed with the volunteers at the Jpop dance who were extremely rude to both my group and another couple that was ahead of us. They were also openly discussing (and laughing) about how much money the convention was making off of all the unsuspecting people who were paying to leave their cameras in coat check. I was extremely baffled myself as to why this was occurring considering in my 7 years of attending Anime North I have never once been told I wasn't allowed to bring a camera into the Jpop dance. I found it slightly ridiculous they expected people to leave expensive camera's in coat check.
I don't know the specifics of this, but I will pass this info on to the head of dance events. Please take anything like this with a grain of salt, as volunteers are not staffers and as such are not privy to information about the way the con is actually run. The con is not a for-profit organization and the only reason we charge for memberships and such is to have enough money to keep operating. Nobody on staff is paid, and we donate to Sick Kids every year.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #184
Iczer eh

The venue runs the coat check, Anime North pays for the building staff that work it and we don't get a cent of the money collected.
Iczer eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #185
SandwichBoy
AN J-Pop DJ

Quote:
Overall I had a really good weekend and got some good merchandise at the dealers room. However, I do have some complaints.

I was not impressed with the volunteers at the Jpop dance who were extremely rude to both my group and another couple that was ahead of us. They were also openly discussing (and laughing) about how much money the convention was making off of all the unsuspecting people who were paying to leave their cameras in coat check. I was extremely baffled myself as to why this was occurring considering in my 7 years of attending Anime North I have never once been told I wasn't allowed to bring a camera into the Jpop dance. I found it slightly ridiculous they expected people to leave expensive camera's in coat check.

If this was going to be a new policy, people should have been made aware prior to the dance. Maybe in the program book? Or have posted signs about it. As a staff member I didn't even hear anything about it at the meetings. Unless I missed something.

In terms of the camera's being potentially banned because of people swinging them around. I think that is really silly considering I see a lot of people wearing large cosplays to the dance. For instance there was one guy wearing giant wings and I was hit twice in the head with them. If anything should be banned it should be large cosplays that cause a hindrance to people who are dancing. I love taking pictures of myself and friends having a great time at the dance. So I was really disappointed.

To top it off when I pulled my phone out to check a text message I was yelled at by another volunteer, "Put that away, no pictures allowed! If your told again you will be kicked out!" I calmly told him it was a cellphone and he said it doesn't matter. I put my phone away only to see several other people beside me using their cellphones to take pictures and this particular volunteer said nothing to them.
There seems to have been a good deal of confusion regarding cameras during the dances. At some point, someone other than me added them to the list of banned items and I'm not sure why, since as long as they're not in a bulky bag, they're of little risk to anyone. Cell phones were definitely NOT added to that list, and anyone trying to enforce a no cell-camera policy was 100% acting outside their station. I will look into the volunteers and any misconduct, but for next year I have two immediate solutions in mind: first, increasing my staff and decreasing reliance on volunteers to improve accountability. second, please bring ANY misconduct, either by volunteers or congoers to one of the con ops supervisors at the entrance, or to me at the booth. Unfortunately there is likely little I can do now about the volunteers in question, but I will do what I can to address these issues for next year. Thank you for bringing this up.

Courage is doing without witnesses that which we would be capable of doing with the world watching.
SandwichBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #186
Stereolion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagii View Post
Now if it is because of the guest DJ's for some stupid reason don't want to be filmed, that might be why, but I doubt anyone filmed the DJ's long enough to be an issue. When I took pics or film it was more for in the moment type of film. This is the music, these people having a good time. I was filming or picturing the dance itself in short bursts at different times. cause I didn't need like 2-3 hours of dance footage.
The guest DJs thought the no camera rule was stupid too. It had nothing to do with them. Photos/videos of them is great for their promo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyrean View Post
It was great to see that little cafe open in the tcc, i would be amazingly awesome if they turned the former Otakubaloo space into a beer garden, though i doubt it'll ever happen.

As for the Otakubaloo, i didn't mind its placement, i'm not inconvenienced for walking an extra few meters around it, plus i can think of no practical alternative place to set up. the other side would be in the middle of registration lines, the front doesn't have enough space, the parking lot requires a ton of wires being run across a high traffic zone and removes a backstage, further up blocks the dance party line and loading area.
My complaint though is with the level of base at night. I could hear it from the highway and couldn't stand there for more than 5 minutes without my ears hurting. It was completely unnecessary to raise it to concert levels at night. the crowd is small enough that no matter where you are, you are getting blasted. I've always chosen the the Otakubaloo over the dance parties partly because the volume was reasonable, i don't want to have to start packing earplugs for AN because i can't enjoy the evening parties, i could go to the indoor rave if I wanted to go deaf.
Using the patio as a beer garden is actually something that we are going to explore.

The stage was there because it was the only spot where we could reasonably and safely supply power from the TCC.

We try to set the Otakubaloo volume at a level that's appropriate. You can hear it faintly from very far away just because of the physics of low frequency sound. Our goal is to set it at a level that's loud enough for the people that want to get right up there and feel the beat in their gut but also reasonable for people who care about their ears. We think we hit that balance pretty well and did decible checks at 10', 30' (where the little curb with the bushes was), 60', and 100' from the speakers. I myself, when I wanted to dance, usually hovered in the 50' radius but obviously a lot of people like to have it super loud.
Stereolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #187
cakie_chu

I would just like to post my feed back about the masquerade that I took part in this past weekend.

Because of the high volume of novice entries this year, I'm sad to say I felt that the work I put into my cosplay was quite overlooked in the construction judging. I was one of the last entries to be looked over but what really confused me was when I gave the judge my reference photo and then at the end he gave it back to me. I didn't question it at the time but I then thought to myself that none of the other judges would have it for their own reference. also the particular volunteer didn't seem to be very in gauged or even interested but that may have been his way of "studying" my costume.

regardless I thank all of the volunteers for putting all their time and effort to make this another successful year at AN, but I do hope that for upcoming years there is a method that judges are not getting overwhelmed and can pay equal attention to all entrants.
cakie_chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #188
siyrean

i had no problem with the volume during the day, it was just at night it seemed the base was going over board even when standing at the back of the crowd. i could have just been the fews songs that i heard before i had to leave. oh i should mention it was the Saturday night i had issues, i don't remember being bothered friday night.

CostumeCon: Princess of the Crystal-Penguindrum, Cersei Lannister-ASoIaF, Steampunk
Ohio Ice and Fire con: Cersei Lannister, Modern Val-School of Thrones
Anime North: Shura, Agnes-Tiger&Bunny, Princess of the Crystal, (GB)Roman Torchwick-RWBY
Anime Midwest: Finnian-BlackButler, Shura, Ouran, RWBY PJ ver.
Atomic LolliPop:
Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Princess of the Crystal, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver.
Teslacon: Steampunk
siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #189
Otaking97
Terrible Great King

Quote:
, was acting like he was so important and better then everyone. The people who were in front of us were concerned about how safe it was to leave their mother's camera with coat check and he barked at them that it wasn't his problem. Either leave it or go back to the hotel.

Unfortunately this will pretty much ALWAYS be a problem. Too many staff/volunteers think they are all that. It's a joke really. Just shrug them off and move on. No reason to ruin your weekend.

I liked the beats from the dance outside. Man did that ever sound good. Props to the bass.

My HUGE ASS Anime/Manga/Figure collection:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=352110
Otaking97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #190
Rock nam Lee
Saiyan Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillvisions View Post
...the reason we book major events against one another is because no one major event can hold a reasonable percentage of the con. In the old days, when the masq was on, 90% of the con would shut down, because the main room fit 50% of the con, and the other 50% went to dinner/party or to the "I don't like the masq" panel (no really there was one, who knows, maybe there still is one).To give you a rough idea of the scale of it, our main room holds less than 10% of the day population of the convention now - it's actually closer to 7%. Saying "no other main event can run against the masq/skit etc." means that 90% of the con can't enjoy a "major" event at the same time. Our goal is to keep the general con base happy - it's why there was an attendance cap, because we wanted to make sure we could offer folks stuff to do at the con. It's rough that people have to choose one or the other, but it's fairer than only a few people getting one, and everyone else gets nothing.

Hopefully that answers the reason why cons do that sort of thing.
Agreed. People have to divide their time wisely, you can't get everything (meaning front row seats for masq and 404). I had a media seat at the front, and I had no problem leaving and coming back after they seated everyone else. Otherwise you would have people line up for the 404 at the MASQ line and simply sit through it to keep seats. You also run into the problem of people leaving partway through the show, but at the point you'll already be half-way seated anyways.
My opinion: Kick everyone out after the masq and let the people who have been *waiting for teh 404* go in, then anyone else can grab remaining seats; and its not like you're missing the show either, just sitting a bit further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaking97 View Post
The lineup to but the day pass went super fast! The dealers room had some decent bargains. The heat wasn't too bad. My cosplay turned out ok. Saw lots of great cosplayers......huh. Nope. Nothing bad this year.
Damn it, I missed you this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
Wow, lucky, they wouldn't let me bring mine in. I had a small bag (by small I mean hand sized) with my camera and $200 in it. They said I'd have to check it, so I left.
The next night I went back for the other dance, but I asked before I went in if you had to check bags again, and they said yes, so I turned away and the guy asked me why, and I said because I wasn't checking my bag with money inside it, and he actually asked me why not.
Like, really? Because if something goes missing, it's not their responsibility, right? And I didn't have any pockets to put the money in..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midli View Post
Was it a DSLR? It might have had something to do with Size vs Just being a camera, as I filmed DJ Shimamura for a good 5-10 min with my cellphone and nobody intercepted me or told me to stop filming.
I know at many concerts/presentations/etc.. they won't allow DSLRs/PRO-equipment because they only want authorized media/personnel covering the event. It sucks but its their decision.

[quote=Iczer eh;4401631]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post
We (Masquerade Staff) were not told in advance that this is how it would be handled. I'm unclear who made that decision or at what point in the day.

Programming did not make that decision. I never ordered it and no one one ever asked to do it. There was no official, approved reason for it to happen. It won't be happening next year, how and why we accomplish that remains to be seen.
"Execute order 66."
Rock nam Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #191
AJ the Collector
Collector

I want to speak up about the bass at the outdoor dance as well. It was actually kept under control nicely for most of Saturday and Sunday, but on Friday it was DISGUSTINGLY obnoxious. At one point, I was sitting all the way at the water tower and could feel BOTH my ears hurting after only a couple of minutes--and I only have issues in one of my ears, so that's saying something. I'm genuinely amazed that I didn't go home a bit deafer this year.

Also, the lack of variety in the dealers room is getting a little ridiculous {how many tables full of all the same Pokemon keychains or non-anime-related t-shirts or creepy unlicensed dakimakura do we need?}, as are some of the prices the dealers are charging, like, for example, $50 for a gashapon the size of my middle finger that I could get on ebay for $20 less, or standard boxes of plain Pocky selling for $3 or 4 when I can get them at the local grocery store for a buck.

Finally, I think some shaded rest spots should be set up outside in the areas without trees. It would've done loads of good this year, cause the heat got pretty terrible at some points.
End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014
Unplugged Expo 2014 {maybe}
DTAC 2014

Costume Projects for 2014:
Gamzee Makara {98%} for AN14 and FX14
Totakeke {85%} for UX14
L {70%} for DTAC14
Equius Zahhak {60%} for CB14 and End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.

Last edited by AJ the Collector : 06-01-2012 at 06:04 PM.
AJ the Collector is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #192
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Crescent View Post
Finally, I think some shaded rest spots should be set up outside in the areas without trees. It would've done loads of good this year, cause the heat got pretty terrible at some points.
I think some tents by the entrance for those lining up to get badges would be a good idea.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #193
GoddessDigi
Mommy of 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
I think some tents by the entrance for those lining up to get badges would be a good idea.
Love this idea!
Is there also any way possible to maybe have at least 1 table of water outside??
GoddessDigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #194
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I was saying that earlier too with the line on Friday... a couple canopies or shaded things set up would have been SO awesome. Or people giving out water or at LEAST actually walking down the lines offering it for sale. I was able to get water for me and my boyfriend since we were lined up together, but it must have been awful for people by themselves who had nobody to hold their spots.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #195
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I was saying that earlier too with the line on Friday... a couple canopies or shaded things set up would have been SO awesome. Or people giving out water or at LEAST actually walking down the lines offering it for sale. I was able to get water for me and my boyfriend since we were lined up together, but it must have been awful for people by themselves who had nobody to hold their spots.
My brother was dying with his cast on. They did have someone going up and down the line asking if people (in heavy cosply) were ok. Yea if they want to have that massive Friday line again as least make it more... bearable.

Future Cosplays!

Giant Diglett
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote