Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #31
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

My mother is pretty supportive of my cosplay to an interesting degree...

My mother: "Oooohhh~ Thats such a pretty wig, can I borrow it for halloween?"

Every time I get an unnatural long haired wig, she now wants to borrow my long blue wig, my friends long pink wig, and my Sheryl wig. lol My mother also wants to cosplay with me and if it wasn't so expensive I'd bring her to a convention with me.
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #32
GunKatCosplay
GunKatCosplay

My mom is pretty supportive but my dad just doesn't understand. My little sister understands just a little too well. I was really stressed trying to finish something and she just stares at my stuff, looks at me very seriously and goes, "You know what? Buy crack. Crack would be cheaper."
GunKatCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #33
eberwolf2k
Finger Lickin' Good

I'm older (31) than most of you so I don't have any parental issues (never really did they were very permissive) with cosplaying (even though I haven't officially done it yet) but my dear mom and one of my friends thought I was dressing as Johnny Cash when they saw my Tatsumi Saiga.

Tatsumi Saiga (Speed Grapher)
Gambit/Remy Lebeau (X-Men Origins: Wolverine)

Last edited by eberwolf2k : 06-05-2012 at 12:48 AM.
eberwolf2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #34
moonfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makira View Post
Oh gosh, haha. I've gotten that (and I'm sure so many others) so many times. A few days before Halloween my friends I went to go hookah and some kids were all "Halloween isn't for a few more days, freaks!" Oh, lovely. You're quite charming.
I had some guys in a hotel shuttle (I wasn't staying in the convention hotel) say I looked like a freak. I told them "So do you!" and walked off. Actually, "drunken douchebags" is probably a better description, and I think I'd rather be a freak.
Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia)
Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshitsuji, butler outfit)
Rose Bride Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena, need new wig)
Twilight Sparkle's Gala Dress (My Little Pony: FiM)
moonfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #35
eberwolf2k
Finger Lickin' Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfall View Post
My first (half-assed) attempt at cosplay was Moonbay from Zoids: Chaotic Century. She wears some sort of face paint, and my grandfather saw it and asked if we had an Indian in the family.

Another time, I was showing my kimono to my aunt, and my uncle walked in and asked the classic "Is it Halloween?" question.

I apologize if anyone was offended by my relatives'...less-than-politically-correct comments.
Nope not offended don't sweat it....I love Political Incorrectness...but, as much as I love it, you're family was just trying make a snarky funny.....and failed

Unread 06-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #36
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eberwolf2k View Post
I'm older (31) than most of you so I don't have any parental issues (never really did they were very permissive) with cosplaying (even though I haven't officially done it yet) but my dear mom and one of my friends thought I was dressing as Johnny Cash when they saw my Tatsumi Saiga.
Doesn't have to be BAD stories, just amusing ones ^.^ I don't live with my mom but I still share all my cosplay adventures with her, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfall View Post
I had some guys in a hotel shuttle (I wasn't staying in the convention hotel) say I looked like a freak. I told them "So do you!" and walked off. Actually, "drunken douchebags" is probably a better description, and I think I'd rather be a freak.
I take being called a freak a compliment anymore It throws people off if you say "Why thank you!!"
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #37
eberwolf2k
Finger Lickin' Good

Quote:
Doesn't have to be BAD stories, just amusing ones ^.^ I don't live with my mom but I still share all my cosplay adventures with her, haha.

I take being called a freak a compliment anymore It throws people off if you say "Why thank you!!"
Heh! yea...my folks are cool with just about everything. They've never really cared what I did growing up as long as it wasn't self-destructive. I just wish I wasn't burdening them with being back at their place (pretty damn good low point for me)

.But anyway, for me.....I used to be a punker(and not the hot topic kind) when I was younger in both fashion and mind set, so being called weird for something like cosplaying is pretty great in my eyes.

Unread 06-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #38
Makira

Quote:
Heh! yea...my folks are cool with just about everything. They've never really cared what I did growing up as long as it wasn't self-destructive. I just wish I wasn't burdening them with being back at their place (pretty damn good low point for me)

.But anyway, for me.....I used to be a punker(and not the hot topic kind) when I was younger in both fashion and mind set, so being called weird for something like cosplaying is pretty great in my eyes.
Don't even trip. Economy sucks. I moved out at 20 and was on top of the world. Then at 24~26 (just left recently) I was back with her. It's pretty standard now I know it still sucks, but lots of people have to deal with it ^^

And ahhh, yes, anything different, especially the punker kind pull a lot of attention from people. Which is fabulous.

Unread 06-05-2012, 02:21 AM   #39
eberwolf2k
Finger Lickin' Good

Quote:
Don't even trip. Economy sucks. I moved out at 20 and was on top of the world. Then at 24~26 (just left recently) I was back with her. It's pretty standard now I know it still sucks, but lots of people have to deal with it ^^

And ahhh, yes, anything different, especially the punker kind pull a lot of attention from people. Which is fabulous.
Girl, YES!! this economy does make you want to smash your head into a brick wall out of frustration.

But on the topic of different, Ha! sometimes I look in the mirror and see my "conformist" haircut..missing the spikey or slicked back bleached blond, the blue, the blood red etc. OH! the glory days...lol! j/k

Unread 06-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #40
Makira

Quote:

Girl, YES!! this economy does make you want to smash your head into a brick wall out of frustration.

But on the topic of different, Ha! sometimes I look in the mirror and see my "conformist" haircut..missing the spikey or slicked back bleached blond, the blue, the blood red etc. OH! the glory days...lol! j/k
Hahaha! I knoooooow. The moment I left my job I instantly through some pinks/purples into my hair and it felt great. Just too hard to get away with sometimes. Stupid job requirements.

Unread 06-05-2012, 02:36 AM   #41
eberwolf2k
Finger Lickin' Good

Quote:
Hahaha! I knoooooow. The moment I left my job I instantly through some pinks/purples into my hair and it felt great. Just too hard to get away with sometimes. Stupid job requirements.
I guess we're geting off the thread's main topic...but hell it's 3:30am for me..and I can't sleep.

I dunno, jobs I've worked never had real hardcore requirements. I even tried..Ugh! cashier at Kohl's. I was 20, I had the wild color hair, old doc martins from the 90's (good condition too), clip on ties (i can't tie one for the life of me) I was never professional looking or sophisticated enough really but they let it slide due to the head manager...I think he liked my good work ethic. Other emplyoees had some issues here and there but mainly customers for some reason..but it was sometimes funny.....cause little old ladies found it amusing.

Unread 06-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #42
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

My dad never said too much about it because whatever made me happy was cool with him.

But my mom's reactions have always been amusing.

(Comes over to my house for dinner and sees my dress form on the way to the bathroom.)
"What's that?"
"Oh, someone's paying me to make that for her."
*BEAM!*

(Show her a picture of Kefka Palazzo, which I was in the process of working on.)
"Uh... isn't that a... guy?"
"Yeah."
"Why would you want to dress up as a guy?"

(The following year, she sees a picture of my Labyrinth ballgown.)
"You... you... you... made that?" (Big sparkly chibi eyes.)
"I did!" *BEAM*
(Rockets to the stratosphere.) "MY DAUGHTER CAN SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWW!"

Now she'll tell anyone that'll listen about how I'm the bestest seamstress EVAR.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #43
BlondeSwan
LaCygne

Quote:
Originally Posted by brangienne View Post
My mom is pretty supportive but my dad just doesn't understand. My little sister understands just a little too well. I was really stressed trying to finish something and she just stares at my stuff, looks at me very seriously and goes, "You know what? Buy crack. Crack would be cheaper."
Story of my life!! Thats all my brother says to me. Gotta love sibling support

Cosplays So Far This Year:

Raichu
Pokemon Trainer Yellow
Jolteon Gijinkia
Uotani Arisa- Fruits Basket

Cosplays In Progress:

Bellossom Gijinkia
Tamaki Souh-Ouran High School Host Club
Nurse Joy-Pokemon
Alice-Alice in Wonderland
Jack Frost Genderbend (Rise of the Guardians)
BlondeSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #44
darth_horo
This is my scary face

Me mum has no respect for anything anime related - she's the kind of person who always tries to weasel in suggestions about droppin' the hobby, she's very "old school" and traditionalist when it comes to having any sort of a pass-time. The idea of spending money on things without "purpose" is foreign and abstract to her. She did take interest in my first cosplay however, which was suffice to say, surprising.

As for my father, he used to be the kind of person who'd say things like cosplay and anime, "doesn't really bother me," but he has actually taken a curiosity in these last few years. When I did my first cosplay (star wars - which he is a fan of), he wouldn't stop coming to see the progress. He borderlined hilarity as he came up when I was just about finished my costume. He stirred up an interesting conversation.

Dad: "You should make me one too"
Me: "Why?"
Dad: "So we can go on the roof on night and have a light saber duel, and I can say 'I am your father'".

I proceeded to literally face palm. He also made a comment about finding a new girlfriend at the con (broke up last September) and said "he's out to find his princess Leia". Again, facepalmed.

Lastly, though not a guardian/parent, my brother also had an interesting comment. Typically, he calls things he finds stupid/lame (in his own eyes) as "gay" - however, after I started progress with my cosplay (especially the mask), he called it "pretty cool". Suffice to say, everyone in the family was shocked hearing that, as a compliment from him is the rarest thing you could possibly come by. I lol'd.

Fan Expo 2013:
First Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Anime North Cosplay 2014:
First Costume: Dark Angel's Space Marine - Warhammer 40k: 0%
Second Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Quote:
"To me guardsmen, to me! This is your last stand! No doubts, NO FEAR." - Commissar Lord Bernn

Last edited by darth_horo : 06-05-2012 at 01:17 PM.
darth_horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #45
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

Just had one. My cosplay friends and I will call each other by our characters' names, even in public. My dad and I were driving back from McDonald's and my friend was walking to McDonald's so I roll down the window and shout "Hi KRYLANCELO!" to which she yells "Hi Hartia!" and I pull my head back in the car.

Dad: can't you just say hi [real name]?
me: no, that's how we talk to each other!
Dad: ...
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote